OnePlus 2 with FM radio chip?

?

Would you prefer to have FM radio chip on OP2?

1. Yes, definately. (I like to listen to my local radio. Why not?)

78.1%
  2. No. (I like to waste money on streaming music)

6.1%
  3. Who cares? (It's not the end of the world)

15.8%
  1. jagdeepb
    Froyo Jul 20, 2015

jagdeepb , Jul 20, 2015 :
    Love to have a FM in op2. I really miss it sometime in my one.local radio channels sometimes produce some funny shows. Love to hear them.

Jacob Puffer likes this.
  2. dsmonteiro
    Community Consultant Staff Member Jul 20, 2015

dsmonteiro , Jul 20, 2015 :
    The fact that you have other options doesn't make it less skewed. But it's not your fault that the results are skewed... It's just that people that want that feature are more vocal than those that don't.

3. Harichand_Raghavan
    The Showcase Reviewer Jul 20, 2015

Harichand_Raghavan , Jul 20, 2015 :
    A deal breaker is defenitely required...i listen to a lot of local radio.hope opo understands the needs of its customers as it has done till date..i hope they would keep continuing

Jacob Puffer likes this.
  4. gjegadeesh
    Ice Cream Sandwich Jul 20, 2015

5. jonassoderstrom
    Froyo Jul 20, 2015

6. gjegadeesh
    Ice Cream Sandwich Jul 20, 2015

7. Jacob Puffer
    Cupcake Jul 28, 2015

Jacob Puffer , Jul 28, 2015 :
    Well the wheel is outdated (popularized in the bronze age) I would stop using it if I were you.
    jonsssoderstrom

People seem to think FM and digital FM are different...they occupy the same bands are received the same way they are just processed different.

Every disaster now a days is followed by information that cell networks in the area are down/overloaded. FM is the only system that has the ability for bulk dessimination of information. One person or 5 million everybody can get the message.

A cell tower's number of users is finite and in the thousands per tower.

Make sure you only find information/bands you are looking for and none you discover.Kill FM. Make sure you only hear what you wanna hear. Kill FM. Live in a gated community. KIll FM.

I am being a bit dramatic but you get the gist.

Have a nice day!

8. Jacob Puffer
    Cupcake Jul 28, 2015

OnePlus One has a FM chip (Bluetooth module) but no physical connection inside for an antenna so unless you take it apart and cut the disabling grounding pin, wire it to the headphone jack and install the software Oneplus One will never have FM.... sorry.

9. Jacob Puffer
    Cupcake Jul 28, 2015

Internet requires consistent data not just 1 bar on your phone.. My old 1400 mAh smart phone will play FM radio for 8 hours when going to powered speakers and 12 if I have earbuds in. All the while I can still browse the Internet and use the phone as needed. Try to stream anything for that long.

On a recent Camping trip with 5 people I was the only one that wasn't tethered to a power source all weekend (people trying to get data for information). I was the only one that knew when and where a storm was coming because at the campsite no one else had data and 2 could make calls but only sporadically.

Cell tower range can be as much as 30km but can't handle the amount of people in that range.
    FM tower can reach out 160km, users unlimited.

10. Jacob Puffer
    Cupcake Jul 28, 2015

Snarky response to follow.

Missing the point much.

11. Jacob Puffer
    Cupcake Jul 28, 2015

People seem to think FM and digital FM are different...they occupy the same bands are received the same way they are just processed different. You only need to change software...

12. Jacob Puffer
    Cupcake Jul 28, 2015

People seem to think FM and digital FM are different...they occupy the same bands are received the same way they are just processed different.

Revision. HD can operate in the VHF bands aswell.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2015

13. ImNotaSandwich
    Donut Jul 28, 2015

ImNotaSandwich , Jul 28, 2015 :
    Gotta love that radio mirror park

14. Jacob Puffer
    Cupcake Jul 28, 2015

Well the wheel is outdated (popularized in the bronze age) I would stop using it if I were you.

15. Michklomp
    Ice Cream Sandwich Jul 28, 2015

16. boxesofsand
    Gingerbread Jul 28, 2015

17. dwp4you
    Honeycomb Jul 28, 2015

dwp4you , Jul 28, 2015 :
    There are plenty of apps out there that you can use to stream radio stations (local and others except BFE stations) via wifi. I don't need radio. Beside I have a huge music selection on my OPO.

18. Carnivore
    Gingerbread Jul 28, 2015

Carnivore , Jul 28, 2015 :
    Here's the thing with FM radio on phones. It's already built into the Bluetooth module and most of the big Android phone makers like Samsung have it ready to go, but keep it disabled in software.

Why? Well, it's all politics and money.

In the USA, the National Association of Broadcasters has been lobbying Congress for years to pass a law requiring FM chips to be turned on in cell phones, arguing it's a safety feature in emergencies. The carriers say no way, a law isn't required, we know it's worth millions of dollars to you in increased listenership and more ad revenue if we turn on those FM chips so what's in it for us? Pay us and we'll turn them on. So it's been at a deadlock for years. Finally Sprint cut a deal with radio broadcasters a couple years ago to turn on the FM chips in exchange for a lot of money, and then just today AT&T reached a similar deal with the NAB:

http://goo.gl/mDsM5D

Now it's hard to say why OnePlus doesn't turn on its FM chips since they don't have a partnership with any carriers. Maybe they're hoping to partner with one of them though, in which case they might not want their phones to have a feature enabled that the carriers are trying to monetize since it could be a deal killer. Or maybe it was a manufacturing cost-cutting measure, or maybe they were just following the herd thinking there was no demand for it. Only OnePlus knows for sure.

All I know is that none of these phone manufacturers or carriers are interested in taking the high road and enabling the FM radio feature for the sake of offering customers a better product. No, they all want to make a buck off it. Or millions of bucks, to be more specific. Because when it comes to cutting backroom deals with big broadcasting, that's what's at stake.

fnettel likes this.
  19. jonassoderstrom
    Froyo Jul 29, 2015

jonassoderstrom , Jul 29, 2015 :
    Have we came up with anything else replacing the wheel?..
    Have you heard of internet Radio, or Bluetooth to play the audio on another device?

20. powerXtreme
    Honeycomb Jul 29, 2015

powerXtreme , Jul 29, 2015 :
    I would like FM. It's Rapture-proof. Can anyone from OnePlus give a yes or no? Seriously, what's the problem?!

Last edited: Jul 29, 2015