OnePlus 3 - Brexit means hard choices need to be made

1. David S. OnePlus Europe Staff Member Jun 29, 2016

David S., Jun 29, 2016 :
    Dear friends,

OnePlus is a global company with fans across the world. The UK is one of the most important markets for OnePlus. So given the uncertainty following the unexpected Brexit developments, we wanted to explain how this might affect our business in the near future.

We’ve always strived to create the best product and deliver them to customers at a reasonable price. However, the worrying downward trend of the GBP may make it difficult to maintain our current pricing structure in the UK. Our margins have always been thin, and our expenses are mainly in USD. This being the case, sudden drops such as the one that the Pound has recently experienced could have a direct impact on our prices.

We’re telling you this now because we don’t want you to be blindsided. If you’re thinking of buying, we recommend doing so sooner rather than later. However, if a price change comes to pass, it will not be a decision that we take lightly. We have only had to increase prices once before, when the Euro hit a nine-year low against the dollar at the beginning of 2015, and we did so reluctantly. Currency fluctuations are not your fault, nor our fault; but if we sell at a loss, the simple fact is that there won’t be a OnePlus in the future.

By no means are we worried about our business in the UK, Europe or globally. We’re confident that the OnePlus 3 is one of the best phones out there, and it’s our most successful product ever. The fact that we significantly increased lifecycle volume forecast, our orders to suppliers, and still sold out completely within hours of our launch proves that we’re not the only ones that think this way. Hundreds of you came out to see us at the recent pop-up store in London, and thousands more visited our pop-ups around the world. We’re proud of the progress we’ve made together with you over the past two years and a half years.

Whatever happens with our prices in the UK, it won’t come out of the blue. We’ll try as best we can to keep you informed, when we know more, we’ll be sure give you several days of notice.

olli, inkaine, techygeek and 51 others like this.
  2. barb Marshmallow Jun 29, 2016

barb, Jun 29, 2016 :
    I was expecting this message.
    Good thing you keep the members as informed as possible.
    Thanks again!

3. gjdass Honeycomb Jun 29, 2016

gjdass, Jun 29, 2016 :
    Well, it's quite normal ...

It's more customers fault than OP tho. The customers had a choice to leave or to stay. OnePlus didn't make the call ^^

For those who didn't vote the leave well, they will experience the crual part of the democracy which is being annoyed by the majority's choices despite they don't agree.

domnerus, sillee and youbi like this.
  4. SoniaB Nougat Senior Moderator Jun 29, 2016

SoniaB, Jun 29, 2016 :
    Thanks @David S.
    Can't say I wasn't expecting something like this possibly happen given the current state of the £

Vinkel, nyzproof333, jpswer and 4 others like this.
  5. Liam Lam Donut Jun 29, 2016

Liam Lam, Jun 29, 2016 :
    I was wondering why the sudden increase in prices!

A oneplus 3 essentials bundle was roughly £18 last week, and now its £25! (for some reason, the tempered glass screen protector was also removed from the bundle for this price)

Do you mind clarifying this to me? Thanks!

6. youbi Portuguese POC Assistant Head Moderator Jun 29, 2016

youbi, Jun 29, 2016 :
    @David S.

Thanks for the transparency and honesty about these sort of things. :)

As usual, if things are well explained people end up understanding it. ;) And when you work with such thin margins as Oneplus does, its hard to absorb those currency variations. :(

Vinkel, ChrisTerp, cbarai and 3 others like this.
  7. gaster KitKat Moderator Jun 29, 2016

gaster, Jun 29, 2016 :
    Good to know David. I supposed many users from the UK was wondering about the future in this case. Thanks for the update

Vinkel, meatandy and SoniaB like this.
  8. Moin2200 Jelly Bean Jun 29, 2016

Moin2200, Jun 29, 2016 :
    This was expected after seeing how far the GBP had fallen in value, don't worry onplus if you bring the prices up I'll still buy it no matter what.

9. riffraff81 KitKat Jun 29, 2016

riffraff81, Jun 29, 2016 :
    that sucks for UK customers but it's sorta out of Oneplus' hands.

They have a business to run like every other company.

nyzproof333 and meatandy like this.
  10. welsh_gooner Donut Jun 29, 2016

ilovesoneplus, John j, Ricbro and 2 others like this.
  11. NaterTots Jelly Bean Jun 29, 2016

meatandy likes this.
  12. David S. OnePlus Europe Staff Member Jun 29, 2016

David S., Jun 29, 2016 :
    Actually we haven't increased any prices yet. The system had some bugs and showed lower prices due to lack of stock of some items (so those were considered as 0GBP value items), that should have been fixed.

Since we are a bit short in terms of stock of the tempered glass screen protector and lead time will be longer than expected -a few weeks-, we have removed it from all bundles (if we didn't do that, bundles would be out of stock permanently).

meatandy and Liam Lam like this.
  13. neilgates Froyo Jun 29, 2016

neilgates, Jun 29, 2016 :
    I take it OnePlus do not hedge their exchange rates for 12 months like some other businesses?

Ceasedd and Robxxx7 like this.
  14. script Marshmallow Moderator Jun 29, 2016

15. An.I.Am Jelly Bean Moderator Jun 29, 2016

script likes this.
  16. Liam Lam Donut Jun 29, 2016

Liam Lam, Jun 29, 2016 :
    Thanks for the reply!

So youre saying that the price of £18 last week was a bug, and shouldn't have gone through. And that the original price of the essential bundle without the tempered glass is £25?

17. Ether Eclair Jun 29, 2016

Nutter1980 and gringoboy like this.
  18. Robxxx7 Jelly Bean Jun 29, 2016

Robxxx7, Jun 29, 2016 :
    Didn't recall seeing the prices drop when the currency fluctuations went in your favour though ?
    But hey .. just use it as an excuse to raise the price in the future ... good luck with that one and future sales

19. Chris Piacentini Froyo Jun 29, 2016

20. mattmayatt Cupcake Jun 29, 2016

mattmayatt, Jun 29, 2016 :
    Glad I bought my oneplus 3 before the referendum then..... It's amazing buy the way..keep up the good work.
    Don't suppose you have any loop vr left in stock ?

meatandy, Ceasedd and mattjames1980 like this.