Display

OnePlus 3 Display Issues - Purple tint on darker or grey backgrounds, uneven shading on screen.

?

Screen issues experienced

1. Uneven Tinting/Shading from top to bottom (same colour just different shades)

21.2%
  2. Uneven Tinting/Shading from left/right (same colour just different shades)

32.7%
  3. Purple/Blueish tinting when scrolling on black/darker backgrounds with grey/white elements on screen

37.8%
  4. No issues at all (don't select this if you just don't care if you have issues...)

24.4%
  5. No issues at all (don't select this if you just don't care if you have issues...)

12.2%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. thebcooper Gingerbread Jun 22, 2016

thebcooper, Jun 22, 2016 :
    Hello everyone!

I've posted on a couple of different sites asking about this.

My OnePlus 3 seems to have some issues that may or may not be related to the poor AMOLED display quality (not screen temperature, I could care less about that so long as it is even overall).

The right hand side of the screen seems to progressively get darker than the left, although only slightly and only noticeably on grey backgrounds. It's very slight but enough for me and a couple people who I've asked to mention (I didn't say which side was darker, just asked them to see if one side looked darker - so no confirmation bias there).

I also have issues with the screen having a purple tint when scrolling on black/darker grey backgrounds or with black items on screen. It's almost as though it is not moving the display fast enough for those elements because sometimes I will catch the outline of text in the purple area as well.

Someone on Reddit linked me to this image to try scrolling though to see if I noticed the purple tint.
    OnePlus 3 AMOLED Display Test Image

It's noticeable on that image, but it is also sometimes more noticeable when there is text involved as well because then it can smear even longer and also shows the outline of white/lighter elements briefly. On the test image it wasn't so bad. It was still very obvious but not as bad as in other apps where it can get to be about 1-2cm long at times...

I'm wondering if these are common issues, or if it is just an AMOLED issue? (Which I *thought* was solved in recent years on better display panels)

Just as a side note, all these issues are prevalent on any brightness level.

Should I risk the hassle of RMA-ing it or stick with it if I'm really not likely to get a better one if I do?

Cheers!

2. bakerbarber Jelly Bean Jun 22, 2016

bakerbarber, Jun 22, 2016 :
    The sharpness of my display is way too high.

I see a lag in scrolling through the test image you linked, but no variations of shade anywhere on my screen left to right or top to bottom.

The Gamma and/or sharpness is not right.

Box letters look outlined way too much. Why are there no user settings to tweak this?

3. stuart_Foy Gingerbread Jun 22, 2016

stuart_Foy, Jun 22, 2016 :
    Considering returning the phone because of the purple/blue trails. It's really distracting.

4. cssoz Honeycomb Jun 22, 2016

cssoz, Jun 22, 2016 :
    just do it. i mean it's prob under 15 days.

5. Jamesmcd Froyo Jun 22, 2016

Jamesmcd, Jun 22, 2016 :
    I don't have this phone ..but I know this is a common amoled problem ..search google ..s7 pink tint ..nexus 6 pink tint .. S6 pink tint ..you will know what I mean

Pajo_7 likes this.
  6. stuart_Foy Gingerbread Jun 22, 2016

yeah, got it on launch so still got about9 days. it's just such a shame, as there's no other phone out there that really interests me. i really like this phone, it just that the points of weakness are too big for me!

saurabh9602 likes this.
  7. rajeshb679 Donut Jun 22, 2016

rajeshb679, Jun 22, 2016 :
    i feel my moto e 2nd gen has better display than oneplus 3, my eyes feels so uncomfortable to look into the screen.

tamilk likes this.
  8. Eshan_Anand Jelly Bean Jun 22, 2016

Eshan_Anand, Jun 22, 2016 :
    Hehe nice one ;)

9. cssoz Honeycomb Jun 22, 2016

cssoz, Jun 22, 2016 :
    it seems like a faulty part from samsung. as most reviewers has no issues even before it was launch. Just RMA my friend asap.

10. danduf1981 Honeycomb Jun 22, 2016

danduf1981, Jun 22, 2016 :
    I feel the same way about the OP2 screen

11. stuart_Foy Gingerbread Jun 22, 2016

I'm weighing up my options. It seems like a very common fault, and it's not something that most reviewers would notice, imo. A lot of the time they'll be using the phone in an ideal situation, and not, lying in bed in the pitch black with the brightness down.

12. shrijith1 Gingerbread Jun 22, 2016

13. infinityplus1 Honeycomb Jun 22, 2016

infinityplus1, Jun 22, 2016 :
    The only thing I've noticed about the screen is that it's slightly warmer (pinkish) when looking directly at it, square on, and it gets colder (more blue) at any slight angle - noticeable when viewing a white screen. Nothing major though but slightly disappointing.
    It still beats the pants off the quality of my old OP1 screen though! Still worth the upgrade and still happy with the OP3 so far.

14. bakerbarber Jelly Bean Jun 22, 2016

bakerbarber, Jun 22, 2016 :
    Under accessibility my phone had high contrast settings turned on.

Wow, looks so much better with it turned off now.

Don't know if I turned it on by mistake or if it was on from the factory. Wow though. It looked horrible with it turned on.

sidlittlefield likes this.
  15. thebcooper Gingerbread Jun 22, 2016

thebcooper, Jun 22, 2016 :
    Mine was off so I don't think so.

That's an S6 though.. We should have newer panels I would think.

16. thebcooper Gingerbread Jun 23, 2016

thebcooper, Jun 23, 2016 :
    Okay I don't think I'm going insane on the shade difference. It may be more accentuated to me because I'm colourblind in one eye more so than the other so it bugs me more, but it is different shades according to an image editor (cut a bit from one side and moved to the other to see).

If it was top/bottom I don't think it would bug me if it was the same intensity difference this is, but because it is left/right it's a little annoying. It's not *as* bad in person all the time as the pictures show. It's hard to get the exposure right, so it does accentuate it more in the quick setting pictures. I also tried to get the pictures to focus on bits of the screen that had even distribution of light/dark spots across it so as to not overexpose certain parts if they were out of focus more, along with manually setting the white balance.

So what does everyone reckon? Should I attempt going through the apparently horrible RMA process (I say apparently, it may be quite pleasant) in the hopes I just have a bad display and a new unit would at least fix the shading difference if not the purple smear as well (less hopeful on that part)?

Or is this just something even good AMOLEDs have and is more likely to be even less uniform on a different unit?

Quick settings zoomed in
    Use 2.jpg

Quick settings zoomed out Use 3.jpg

Reddit app shows it on the top bar navigation bar as well, if a bit less obvious to my eyes as opposed to the grey. (I can't tell on the whites though in person as far as I've noticed)
    Use.jpg

Eshan_Anand likes this.
  17. DragonCho_ Gingerbread Jun 23, 2016

DragonCho_, Jun 23, 2016 :
    The current gen AMOLED should not be having any issues and I can confirm I do not see such problems in my Galaxy S7 Edge and Nexus 6P. So many review sites are quoting the subpar and unacceptable display quality of OP3. I reviewed it myself at the store and walked off in 1 min.

saurabh9602 likes this.
  18. DragonCho_ Gingerbread Jun 23, 2016

DragonCho_, Jun 23, 2016 :
    Here is the summary of bad display quality and sharpening/Gamma issues on OP3...
    https://forums.oneplus.net/threads/...ming-on-next-ota.451786/page-14#post-14997872

19. ungeeked Ice Cream Sandwich Jun 23, 2016

ungeeked, Jun 23, 2016 :
    Shade difference/uneven brightness is not there on my unit so people having those issues can return. The purple ghosting is visible on low brightness but it is an AMOLED issue and not related to poor quality.

harsha1397 likes this.
  20. spooke Honeycomb Jun 23, 2016

spooke, Jun 23, 2016 :
    I have a very minor shade difference that's mainly visible on the notification bar, it's not as bad as your photos. I get the purple "lag" but I only noticed it on your test image.

harsha1397 and DragonCho_ like this.