Battery/Charging Oneplus 3 heat charging

1. Owoturo Oluwatimi
    Froyo Jul 10, 2016

Owoturo Oluwatimi , Jul 10, 2016 :
    Is it normal that the OnePlus 3 gets super hot when charging? I thought the Dash charger takes in all the heat and manages power?

2. Tokolozi
    Most Original Avatar Jul 10, 2016

3. Sindri Steinn
    Cupcake Jul 10, 2016

4. deepakjb
    Froyo Jul 10, 2016

deepakjb , Jul 10, 2016 :
    Same here
    Sometimes it gets too hot but sometimes it doesn't heat at all, not even a bit

gajarlaarun likes this.
  5. Owoturo Oluwatimi
    Froyo Jul 11, 2016

Owoturo Oluwatimi , Jul 11, 2016 :
    Mine gets hot all the time when I'm charging battery but I use it at the same time. I usually don't leave my phone alone to charge because of the dash charging. when I'm a little bit low as I'm using the phone I connect it and top up. maybe that's why?

6. xoma262
    Jelly Bean Jul 11, 2016

xoma262 , Jul 11, 2016 :
    https://oneplus.net/3/dashcharge

So, I assume it's not normal, but honestly, I'm not surprised, lol.

7. amolvitekar
    Donut Jul 11, 2016

amolvitekar , Jul 11, 2016 :
    I am facing the same issue, may be when we charge from VERY Low battery level it gets superhot.

8. lostLambda
    Lollipop Jul 11, 2016

lostLambda , Jul 11, 2016 :
    I'm no Thomas Edison, but I believe the higher the current flow, the greater the generation of heat. Hence, hot battery and thence, hot phone and whence, hot hand.

Rafztafara likes this.
  9. Shafiqur016
    Honeycomb Jul 11, 2016

Shafiqur016 , Jul 11, 2016 :
    sometimes i do feel heat & sometimes not. i think culprit could be background process or App..!!

10. clinta12
    Donut Jul 12, 2016

clinta12 , Jul 12, 2016 :
    It was advertised the dash charging keeps the phone cool. Just had a few question about the temperature of the phone while dash charging...while just charging my phone temperature goes upto 38 degrees ...can anyone tell me if their phone behaves in the same way.
    Could you also post the your results here...i mean temperature while your phone is charging

11. Yahzeef
    Eclair Jul 12, 2016

Yahzeef , Jul 12, 2016 :
    TL;DR yes it's normal

Guys, it should be a well known fact that carrying current on a line will generate heat. Oneplus does not claim that the phone temperature will not rise. What they do claim is that relative to other quick charging technologies (ex:qualcomm quick charge) much less heat is generated, and in general it is indeed much cooler. This is important to note.

I've explained the reasoning why on Reddit and I'll paraphrase here:

Dash charge pushes 4A to your phone. This is a LOT of current for a cellphone and is the reason why you need to use the thicker dash charge cable. The higher the current the thicker the cable you need. Pushing current on a line generates heat and needless to say 4A of current will generate heat in your cellphone battery.

What oneplus has done differently here is that they moved a majority of the internal power regulation circuitry from the oneplus 3 to the dash charger. Moving it to the charging block reduces the amount of heat that would've been generated in the phone to the charging block instead. In comparison, qualcomm quick charge phones most likely still retain a majority of these power regulation circuits and thus, produce heat inside the phone. There is still some circuit protection on the oneplus 3's phone side (I would assume a fuse and integrated circuit on the actual battery itself which communicates with some kind of switching transistor in the dash charger brick).

On a side note, qualcomm quick charge achieves fast charging rates by doing the opposite of what oneplus does. They increase the voltage while keeping the current low. For all you non electrical guys out there, power = voltage x current. Oneplus achieves 20 watts by using 5V 4A. Qualcomm achieves their higher power levels by dynamically increasing the voltage all the way up to 20V while keeping the current low. I believe the max power output for qualcomm is 18 watts, which is another reason why qualcomm quick charge is slower than dash charge.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2016

abhisheknair.v, pastmann and clinta12 like this.
  12. p51d007
    KitKat Jul 12, 2016

p51d007 , Jul 12, 2016 :
    Which is why I prefer to SLOW charge. Doesn't matter the device, when you ramp up the current, push that into the cells, the chemicals in the cells will get HOT.

13. cssoz
    Honeycomb Jul 12, 2016

cssoz , Jul 12, 2016 :
    1+3 never gets super hot during charge. you clearly have not used QC

14. amolvitekar
    Donut Jul 15, 2016

amolvitekar , Jul 15, 2016 :
    Yes it does, sometimes

15. cssoz
    Honeycomb Jul 15, 2016

cssoz , Jul 15, 2016 :
    i was charging my phone yesterday and looking at Gsam, it gets up to 37c. ill check again tomorrow or the day after. =P my standby battery life is crazy, i use it battery goes (as for any other phones with LTE)

16. amolvitekar
    Donut Jul 15, 2016

amolvitekar , Jul 15, 2016 :
    yeah same here with LTE, try charging when phone reaches 2-3% juice and then check the Gsam and Charger temp.

17. Spelt
    Ice Cream Sandwich Jul 17, 2016

Spelt , Jul 17, 2016 :
    When using Dash Charge on my OP3 the phone stays relatively cool. Unless I am using it at the same then it can get fairly warm, but still doesn't throttle.

18. pablofg1978
    Head Moderator Head Moderator Jul 17, 2016

19. abechung
    Ice Cream Sandwich Nov 5, 2016

abechung , Nov 5, 2016 :
    My phone reached 98 degrees while dash Charging and I didn't even use it during its charge cycle. That doesn't sound within the normal temperature of dash charge's advertised statement.