OnePlus 3 Microphone issue

1. vivanshah
    Cupcake Jul 17, 2016

vivanshah , Jul 17, 2016 :
    someone in another thread said that sideloading the 3.2.1 zip would fix it. I tried that and it did indeed fix the problem for me.

2. pmaathey
    Cupcake Jul 17, 2016

3. mgerskup
    Cupcake Jul 18, 2016

mgerskup , Jul 18, 2016 :
    Can you be a bit more specific on what you did? Did you flash the 3.2.1 zip over top of the existing, or did you do a factory reset?

*edit*

Found the thread: https://forums.oneplus.net/threads/help-one-plus-three-voice-issues.455701/

Sideloading and flashing over the existing install without wiping reportedly does fix the problem.

*edit 2*

Sideloading complete. The problem appears to be solved! I'll know more when I've had a chance to test it more in the field.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2016

4. pmaathey
    Cupcake Jul 19, 2016

pmaathey , Jul 19, 2016 :

Just seeing this. The fix is still working for me, however, I didn't realize it was on oneplus' site. I used a different site but the steps appear to be the same. The oneplus process is fairly straightforward and if not, google "sideload 3.2.1.zip android" and the first 4 links are more than enough to guide you through the process. Good luck.

5. mit2nil
    Froyo Jul 19, 2016

mit2nil , Jul 19, 2016 :
    What does this reply mean? How do we track the progress of this issue? This is quiet annoying considering microphone is a basic use case for any phone.

6. pablofg1978
    Head Moderator Head Moderator Jul 19, 2016

pablofg1978 , Jul 19, 2016 :
    The best that you can do is contact support
    oneplus.net/support

7. seemslucky
    Cupcake Jul 19, 2016

seemslucky , Jul 19, 2016 :
    I solved the microphone issue for me with the 3.2.1 update. I only have 3 forum replies, so I can't make a full post, yet. But, to detail my issue:
    • I'm in the USA. I use T-Mobile.
    • It started immediately after the OTA 3.2.1 update.
    • When I would make or recieve phone calls, people would hear me say "hello" and after that total silence.
    • Even though they couldn't hear me, I could hear them perfectly.
    • I tried with speakerphone on and off, they still couldn't hear me.
    • I tried with VoLTE on/off and Non-LTE, LTE, and LTE IPv6.
    • If I used a bluetooth headset or speaker/mic, they could hear me fine.
    • I tried unlocking/rooting my phone, they still couldn't hear me.
    • When unlocked, I tried using a prop editor to change a value that someone said would disable noise cancelling. It didn't work (even after restarting the phone). Afterwards, I set the value back to original settings.
    I found a minor post on Reddit (I think) and someone suggested reinstalling v3.2.1 via USB, so I did. I haven't had a microphone issue since. I know very, very little about programming, so I'm not sure why one works and the other doesn't... maybe they're different files and one is corrupt? But, I always hate when people ask on forums for fixes and when they solve their issue, they never say how for everyone else.

http://downloads.oneplus.net/oneplus-3/oneplus_3_oxygenos_3.2.1/
    ^ That's the link I used to update my phone. It is not rooted or unlocked anymore, but the mic works for every call. No microphone issues anymore.

I hope this helps some people. The OnePlus3 is a pretty great phone, I'm glad I didn't have to get rid of it.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2016

8. seemslucky
    Cupcake Jul 19, 2016

9. mgerskup
    Cupcake Jul 19, 2016

10. mit2nil
    Froyo Jul 19, 2016

mit2nil , Jul 19, 2016 :
    Why are you being rude? I asked you because you are a mod. Could you answer what I asked? I know how to contact oneplus support.

11. pablofg1978
    Head Moderator Head Moderator Jul 19, 2016

pablofg1978 , Jul 19, 2016 :
    I wasn't rude, I just replied that you should contact support, I can't answer the questions that you asked, that's why I replied that.

12. jasonarima
    Honeycomb Jul 22, 2016

13. Teja Naga Bharan
    Product Manager Jul 23, 2016

Teja Naga Bharan , Jul 23, 2016 :
    Sending you an PM, please respond. will try to fix it or get some logs for devs to analyse.

14. G_Jacob_Lipsey_cswC
    Cupcake Jul 23, 2016

G_Jacob_Lipsey_cswC , Jul 23, 2016 :
    I'm having the exact same issue - calls all work fine in speakerphone mode, and the mic works fine for skype calls, but on a normal call if I hold the phone to my ear my mic cuts out. As soon as I remove it from my ear the mic works again. I can hear the other person the whole time so its not a connection issue. Seems like a software bug with the proximity sensor and the mic use on a normal phone call.

15. dz3n
    Eclair Jul 26, 2016

dz3n , Jul 26, 2016 :
    Same problem with the microphone.

I think the reinstall with sideloading and 3.2.1 does fix the problem

16. F_Nishanth_Rajan_uhIw
    Cupcake Feb 14, 2017

F_Nishanth_Rajan_uhIw , Feb 14, 2017 :
    have a four month old phone which one plus refuses to fix or replace. the last two months have been horrible as the microphone has been a hit or miss. the service centre in Bangalore seem to believe I'm the only one with this issue. the internal microphone sounds on the other end as though there's wind blowing and not a word can be heard but is fine with speaker or a headset. the basic utility of a phone gets defeated. it's the same with WhatsApp and the two networks I have so clearly a phone issue. they tried replacing the mic once and took only two days for the problem to resurface and multiple reinstall of the firmware hasn't solved the problem either which is what they love to do every time I walk in