OnePlus 3 SAR values. (CE)

1. neousonepl
    Gingerbread Jun 18, 2016

neousonepl , Jun 18, 2016 :
    Here are the CE SAR values for for the OnePlus 3. I couldn't find this info anywhere so special thanks to @niijonodhg for providing a pic from the manual. OP haven't bothered released the manual on the support page yet, nor is it listed on the OP3 specs page.

I'm sure I'm in the minority when it comes to checking these things but I feel it's important they state these figures and make them readily available to their customers before buying the product.

OP1 and OP2 info also provided as a reference.

OnePlus 1
    Max. SARHead: 0.270 W/kg, Body: 0.540 W/kg
    https://oneplus.net/uk/oneplus-one

OnePlus 2
    Max. SAR:Head: 0.428 W/kg, Body: 0.205 W/kg
    https://oneplus.net/uk/2/specs

OnePlus 3
    Max. SAR:Head: 0.394 W/kg, Body: 0.323 W/kg
    http://imgur.com/a/6Yklz

2. neousonepl
    Gingerbread Jun 18, 2016

3. Apurve Mehra
    Cupcake Jun 20, 2016

Apurve Mehra , Jun 20, 2016 :
    It seems like there is some serious trickery going on here, The Iphone SAR values are provided at 5mm distance. These are given at 15mm distance. Also not good to see SAR go up with each version of the oneplus....Safety first, they should be going down....YES SAR is a SERIOUS matter

Sreejan Swarnapuri likes this.
  4. neousonepl
    Gingerbread Jun 20, 2016

neousonepl , Jun 20, 2016 :
    Hi @Apurve Mehra, thanks for the reply. This is very interesting regarding the distance used to measure SAR. I wasn't aware of this.

I've had a quick look and found some interesting stuff...The iPhone 3GS and pre 3GS are measured using 15mm as the tested distance. The iPhone 4, 4s and 5 all use 10mm as the tested distance and everything after that is tested at 5mm. We all know mobile RF is bad for us, so why the fragmentation in testing standards.

I agree with you on this, 15mm is not realistic...
    I will do some more research on other manufactures to see what they are testing at.

http://www.apple.com/uk/legal/rfexposure/

5. G_John_K_CZWP
    Donut Jun 20, 2016

G_John_K_CZWP , Jun 20, 2016 :
    Maybe the iphone does, samsung does it at 1.5cm(15mm) for the s7 edge
    This device has been tested and meets RF exposure guidelines when used with an accessory that contains no metal and that positions the mobile device 1.5 cm from the body.
    http://downloadcenter.samsung.com/content/UM/201605/20160502235414112/H2_UEN4_final.pdf

HTC on the other hand uses 1cm (10mm) for their htc 10
    Body-worn operation This device was tested for typical body-worn operations. A minimum separation distance of 1 cm must be maintained between the user’s body and the handset, including the antenna

So i guess everyone has a different method. These are for Canada / USA

6. Joyyy
    Jelly Bean Dec 29, 2016

Joyyy , Dec 29, 2016 :
    Good info thanks for the share, is there any graph data for this? Can't tell how good it is in radiation or SAR compared to others

7. Joyyy
    Jelly Bean Dec 30, 2016

8. SARcastic
    Cupcake Feb 21, 2017

SARcastic , Feb 21, 2017 :
    I agree these values are evolving in the wrong direction, also the fact that OnePlus does not mention the values anywhere on the website is despicable. I found these on devicespecifications.com ... it says everything. These values fall under Category C which is simply BAD! [​IMG]

Archies likes this.
  9. OndraOny
    Cupcake Feb 21, 2017

OndraOny , Feb 21, 2017 :
    OnePlus 3
    Near the ear: 0.394W/kg (10g)
    Worn on the body: 0.323W/kg (10g)

OnePlus 3T
    Near the ear: 0.893W/kg(10g)
    Worn on the body: 1.254W/kg(10g)

Why is it so different? OP3 and OP3T are almost the same devices. I bought OP3T but I didn´t know about so high SAR. I am sensitive to SAR and my ear is really hot during phone calls.

10. JorgeManuelSilva91
    Ice Cream Sandwich Feb 23, 2017

11. G_Julius_Verne_JnoR
    Gingerbread Feb 23, 2017

G_Julius_Verne_JnoR , Feb 23, 2017 :
    Woah.. I'm glad I didn't jump on the 3t bandwagon and that I use headphones while talking on the phone!

Is this something that can be reduced with firmware/modem updates?

Or is it strictly an antenna/hardware issue?

I'm thinking the later, hoping for the former. :(

12. Horsault
    Nougat Moderator Feb 23, 2017

Horsault , Feb 23, 2017 :
    Those are MAXIMUM values.
    It means the phone MAY emit as much.
    In fact, the phone will adapt its emissions according to the network.

So if you're in basement, 2nd floor, in a concrete building in an area badly covered by your provider, your phone will emit at its max.
    But if you're in a densely covered area, the phone won't emit more than necessary.

One of the most frequent complains about 1+ products if that sometimes people don't catch any network.
    Increasing max SAR value is a way to allow you to better catch a network.
    It's also a way to increase battery life, as your phone will spend less time trying to catch a network when in poorly deserved area.

vintagetech likes this.
  13. deepak4583
    Cupcake Feb 23, 2017

14. Archies
    Ice Cream Sandwich Feb 24, 2017

15. Windswept
    Cupcake May 25, 2017

Windswept , May 25, 2017 :
    Hello, people.
    This is my first post - I don't yet own a OnePlus phone, but was researching the OP3 & OP3T.
    The SAR Values for the 3T are way higher than the 3, so I googled and trawled - finding several threads on here, but nothing that really answered the root question.
    Then I took the easy option - Chat with OnePlus.

After a couple of minutes, the answer I received makes it all very clear:
    "SAR values are region specific and based on the latest standard.
    For OP3 the radiations have been measured at 15mm when for OP3T they have been measured at 5mm, according to the new CE standard."

So the actual outputs are very similar and within the common range for all phones, it is simply that the EU now insist on testing much closer to the body.

I am now all set to get an OP3T, and I figured I should sign up and let you guys know.

Hope this helps.

Windswept.

fevieira and grumfrommarch like this.
  16. Loveit
    KitKat May 25, 2017

17. Razzic
    Cupcake May 31, 2017

Razzic , May 31, 2017 :

Sorry to Bump an old thread, but it's relative and also can only reply to threads instead of making my own having not posted enough replies.

Either way I just got the OnePlus 3T and the sar ratings are a little concerning. However what doesn't make sense is on every single phone out there, the EU always seems to have lower SAR ratings than that of the USA. I'm told/read that is because the phone puts out maximum signal to get a better signal all the time, my question is, is there any way when you buy a OnePlus 3T online that I can tell (either with my IMEI or something) which country it came from?

I looked in the booklet and it just has SAR values for both FCC (USA) and CE (EU) so it doesn't actual stipulate which applies to myself or any others looking to find out.

18. Horsault
    Nougat Moderator May 31, 2017

Horsault , May 31, 2017 :
    Don't worry: US and UE phones are the same (except for some bands).
    Simply said, norms are different, so are measuring protocols, and values end up being different.

You can see exactly the same difference when measuring cars. On global cars, with exactly the same definition (which is often rare, but you can see that on electric cars), US mileage is inferior to UE mileage, which only means US mileage is closer to daily use of a car.

Razzic likes this.
  19. priyanka H patil
    Cupcake May 31, 2017

20. Razzic
    Cupcake May 31, 2017

Razzic , May 31, 2017 :
    Ah great that makes me feel much better from a SAR rating level anyway :)

Just wondering however if there is still a way to tell so I can make sure the seller sent me the correct model for my country?