Oneplus 3's 6GB RAM fails memory test

1. shrijith1
    Gingerbread Jun 16, 2016

2. Pytajnik
    Honeycomb Jun 16, 2016

Pytajnik , Jun 16, 2016 :
    That limited Max amount of apps in background in oxygen OS. Probably due to increased battery sucking. There you see compromise of using 3000mah battery in 5.5 inch phone.
    But it can be easily fixed by changing background process limit in developer options. Same problem in xiaomi phones.

3. Soundmouse
    Ice Cream Sandwich Jun 16, 2016

Soundmouse , Jun 16, 2016 :
    That's pretty bad, I wasn't expecting it to be as fast as the S7 as the exynos is a total beast but that's some really horrible ram management, kinda like the Mi 5 :eek:

Edit: Thanks Pytajnik, this explains why it does that bad just like the Mi 5, though it doesn't make sense to limit background apps when you have a phone with 6GB of ram.

Shubham1221 likes this.
  4. earl.grey
    Eclair Jun 16, 2016

earl.grey , Jun 16, 2016 :
    that is horrible. i hope Oneplus is polishing the software. crazy how slow it is

5. kshitij1
    Donut Jun 16, 2016

kshitij1 , Jun 16, 2016 :
    One plus can never go good with their software earlier on lollipop it was the app opening,fluidity of oxygen os that took a hit but memory management was awesome,whereas now on marshmallow based oxygen os,the memory management is very poor also on my one plus 2,though the ui is cleaner

6. Rautapalli
    Gingerbread Jun 16, 2016

Rautapalli , Jun 16, 2016 :
    OnePlus 2 runs much slower too than you'd expect from a snapdragon 810, OxygenOS and its kernel is just bad when it comes to performance.

7. Manav Bhagia
    Ice Cream Sandwich Jun 16, 2016

Manav Bhagia , Jun 16, 2016 :
    It does depend on RAM optimization , more than hardware . Well , if the software of the Oneplus 3 and the Samsung Galaxy S7 are both optimized with Graphite , the Oneplus 3 will surely win in terms of benchmarks and real life use , as such optimizations utilize the best of the hardware , and the Oneplus 3 has better hardware (6GB DDR4 RAM ) , compared to the S7 (4GB DDR4 RAM).
    I will soon make a Graphite optimized ROM (As Oneplus finally opened their source) for the Oneplus 3 (Ordered it , waiting eagerly ), and then we will see the difference :)

8. gaster
    Lollipop Moderator Jun 16, 2016

gaster , Jun 16, 2016 :
    The OnePlus 3 is pretty fast in a levels of Cyanogenmod compared to OP2 as i saw in various videos. Soon we ll confirm it when we ll get it. Reviews are waiting guys be patient

9. andyinthailand
    Jelly Bean Jun 16, 2016

benzuk, nate0, Shubham1221 and 32 others like this.
  10. ilovesoneplus
    Jelly Bean Jun 16, 2016

11. steno_dea
    Gingerbread Jun 16, 2016

steno_dea , Jun 16, 2016 :
    In my opinion it's a MM problem because there is a comparison also between OP2 with 3.0.2 and 2.2.1 and even if the 3.0.2 was no leggy at all the 2.2.1 has a better RAM management and in a test like that LL was faster then MM.

12. Pytajnik
    Honeycomb Jun 16, 2016

Pytajnik , Jun 16, 2016 :
    But what worried me, asphalt 8 opened much slower on OnePlus 3 compared to galaxy S7 What the hell? Why? Maybe UFS 2.0 doesn't mean is as fast on Samsung galaxy phones, like with amoled display, won't be as bright as galaxy s6 and s7.
    Only other reason could be kernel setting for i/o and that Samsung using F2FS partition format which is faster than standard EXT4 used in most android phones. From what I know only Samsung and Motorola using F2FS.
    But we can change it easily in TWRP if ROM support this partition. I made this 2 mouths ago in my OnePlus one and it's really boost performance. First screen with standard EXT4 partition, second with F2FS. Look for random write speed, more than double.
    Screenshot (19.05.2016 12-18-05).png Screenshot_20160615-221624.png

nate0 and bbfh like this.
  13. Dr4ik24
    Cupcake Jun 16, 2016

14. agarwal.shubham
    Cupcake Jun 16, 2016

agarwal.shubham , Jun 16, 2016 :
    Had been surfing day and night about OP3 ... i must say .. prima facie i was shocked at this news.. but then.. delving more into it.. there has been tens of reviews online.. And.. among them.. even the best reviewers have this to said "THIS PHONES PERFORMANCE IS TOP NOTCH, maybe ONEPLUS sacrificed 1 2 things with Waterproofing and Battery size.. BUT THEY DID FOCUSED ON PRIMARY ASPECTS OF A FLAGSHIP PHONE. And they Succeeded in it. So My Mind wont change unless there are atleast 3 - 4 Reports as This phandroid.com mentioned.

agoinfly likes this.
  15. Radeon962
    KitKat Jun 16, 2016

Radeon962 , Jun 16, 2016 :
    Looks like the OnePlus 3 could use some tuning out of the gate...

http://www.phonearena.com/news/OneP...msung-Galaxy-S7-in-a-speed-test-VIDEO_id82271

With 6GB of RAM, the OnePlus 3should be a multi-tasking beast. To see how much of a beast the phone is, the new "flagship killer" took on the handset that is arguably the top Android flagship model for this year to-date, the Samsung Galaxy S7. The latter is powered by the Exynos 8890 chipset, while the OnePlus 3 is driven by the Snapdragon 820 SoC.

All extraneous features were turned off so as to allow both phones to perform on a level playing field. During the Speed Test, both phones are timed as they perform a series of tasks involving the opening and re-opening of apps in a specific order. The video shows how the OnePlus 3 gets left behind trying to digest racing game Asphalt 8.

Round One went to the Galaxy S7 which completed its tasks in 61 seconds vs. 71 seconds for the new OnePlus model. But the second round proved to be too much for the new handset as the Galaxy S7 raced through this round in 33 seconds compared to 70 seconds for the OnePlus 3. Surprisingly, the latter had to reload every app in the last round. Web pages viewed on Chrome could not be kept in its memory. Even with the animation shut off both phones, the Galaxy S7 was 42 seconds faster.

Besides coming away with the impression that the Galaxy S7 is insanely fast, you might also come to the conclusion that a software update might be coming soon for the OnePlus 3, if just to make some tweaks to improve its multi-tasking capabilities and memory management.

16. ChrisTerp
    Lollipop Jun 16, 2016

ChrisTerp , Jun 16, 2016 :
    Thanks for posting. Looks like Oxygen still a nemesis. Still, Oxygen a relatively new OS and they're still working the kinks out.

Gonzo01 and nyzproof333 like this.
  17. ankit123
    Froyo Jun 16, 2016

ankit123 , Jun 16, 2016 :
    Yes, I tried to open Asphalt 8 on a OP3 at the New Delhi event. It took ages. Sadly. It's probably the firmware not able to use that 6gb of ram properly. And now we'll have to wait a couple of months till they fix it.

RobR2014 likes this.
  18. Markus214
    Honeycomb Jun 16, 2016

Markus214 , Jun 16, 2016 :
    I'm wondering if a proper AOSP build would have made the difference. Like for me my biggest gripe with Samsung is they built these beautiful phones but put shitty Touchwiz on it and just the phone doesn't the real chance to shine. Pure AOSP ftw all day

mithilmja, RobR2014 and Stroky750 like this.
  19. pa5t1s
    Marshmallow Jun 16, 2016

pa5t1s , Jun 16, 2016 :
    phandroid.com seems to be the only one with 'negative' review(s) so far... they do like Samsung GS7, indeed :)

20. gringoboy
    Lollipop Jun 16, 2016

gringoboy , Jun 16, 2016 :
    Mi5 suffers from the same issues. Comparing to the S7 is not the best to me though, I'd compare it to similar priced phones. The S7 is truly a great phone, but it's also £639 as opposed to £309....
    Not buying anyway!

sholiday, ChrisTerp, pa5t1s and 2 others like this.