OnePlus 3T Review

1. funmunke
    Marshmallow Nov 28, 2016

funmunke , Nov 28, 2016 :
    OnePlus has a mixed history when it comes to the phones they have released. The One was an almost legendary phone that shook up the system and is still a lot of people’s daily driver. The Two was a shiny turd of a phone. The X was neat but suffered from a lack of support. The Three was a return to form and now we have the OnePlus 3T.

So is the 3T worth a look?

For the TL;DR people:

If you own a Three – NO

If you have not bought a phone in a year or two - Maybe

BUILD

When you hold this phone in your hand, it feels like an iPhone 6Plus. If you are going to copy someone, I guess it’s a good idea to copy the best when it comes to that. My only real complaint is the camera bump. It’s still there. The Three had the same issue. At least it’s cover in sapphire, instead of glass now.

HARDWARE

I’ll keep this second short. At the time of this writing, the OnePlus 3T has some of the best hardware you can get in a cell phone. In fact, some parts of it are ground breaking. I do question their thinking though. Why do I need 6GB of RAM? How many people are going to utilize that? I guess if your software is an awful memory hog you might need it, but I have a laptop that runs quite fast and it only has 4GB of RAM. I think many people would give up one or two GB of RAM for more than 64GB of storage, wireless charging, or… A SD SLOT! Really?!? You can put in dual SIM support, but it’s too much to get an SD slot? A lot more people would benefit from an SD slot than dual SIM.

Seriously! How hard is this?!?
    [​IMG]

The final hardware related item I will mention is their notification slider. OnePlus is the only phone maker that copied Apple’s notification switch. They didn’t just copy it, they greatly improved on it. For anyone who is in and out of meetings, being able to switch your alert mode instantly is really handy. It’s an awesome thing to steal and I’m amazed more phone makers haven’t gotten on board with it yet.

So how fast is the OnePlus 3T? I don’t know if they fixed the software or what, but the 3T passes the funmunke torture test (FTT) and it does it without skipping a beat.

What is the FTT? Record 720p video, run a navigation app, record a car’s engine via an ODB Bluetooth connection, play music via Bluetooth, all at the same time.

The OP3T does have something that separates it from the iPhone 7. It's an amazing technology called a headphones jack.

[​IMG]
    DISPLAY

OnePlus switched to a 1080p AMOLED display on the Three and kept it for the 3T. The impact is huge. This display doesn’t surpass the newest Samsung phones, but it’s a brilliant, colorful display that is even usable in sunlight.

Some people turn their nose at the display because it’s 1080p. Those people deserve to be suckered into the hi res hype. Let’s be blunt. The vast majority of people cannot see the difference between 720p and 1080p…on a 50” TV, unless the press their face against the screen. Unless you whip out a 10x magnifying glass, you are not going to be able to see the difference between a 1080p and a 1440p on a 5.5 inch screen. Too many people equate resolution with quality. Don’t fall for that. If you stack a 1080p AMOLED next to a 1440p LCD, and ask people which is the higher resolution, most people will pick the 1080p AMOLED.

There is a BIG benefit of selecting a 1080p over a 1440p. It’s battery life. Other phone makers know that too. HTC popped a higher res LCD in the 10, but added an app that will reduce the res down to 1080p for games and media, in an effort to save the battery life.

Overall the display in the 3T is very nice. The display is no longer a drawback of buying a OnePlus. Granted it's not quite as crisp as the display on most of Samsung's phones, then again, Samsung is the best in the industry when it comes to that.

CAMERA

OnePlus likes create hype around their cameras. It’s always been false hype. Their cameras have always been simply adequate. The past cameras barely hit the middle of the pack and came nowhere near the quality that Apple and Samsung was providing.

The camera in the 3T is best camera OnePlus has ever put in one of their phones. What does that mean? It means it doesn’t suck as much as it’s past phones. How’s that for a compliment? This camera would have been a flagship camera in early 2014. Right now it’s once again the middle of the pack. The sensor isn’t as big as its rivals. The pixel size shrunk when compared to the previous model. The aperture doesn’t match its rivals. This camera has some bells and whistles, but so do the others and they have been hardware.

But, this camera can record in 4k! That’s something nice to shine up, turn sideways, and shove it where the sun doesn’t shine. Forget the absurdity of recording 4K video with a sensor that small and hardware this middle of the pack. Forget that 4K is foolishly overkill (and will be for a long time). Why would I want to record 4K videos on a phone with a fixed amount of internal storage and no expandable storage? Why would I want to shoot 4K on a camera with only a 3000mah, non-swappable battery?

But, how do the photos match up? To be honest they are not bad. That sounds good, but they lag behind the photos you can get with the iPhone 6, 6S, Galaxy S6, S7, LG G5, HTC 10, and Nexus 6P. The quality does beat the Moto X Pure, but that’s not very hard to do.

The camera does have a nice set of options to play around with and also has a decent manual mode.

SOUND

If sound is really important to you, buy the HTC 10. If it’s somewhat important to you, but the HTC 10, Nexus 6P, HTC 9, HTC 8, or Moto X Pure. The speakers in the 3T are better than the One or the Two, but again, that’s not saying much. The speakers get the job done.

You’ll get your standard sound out of the headphones, but keep in mind that MAXX Audio was removed from the newest version of Oxygen OS (Which the 3T runs).

SOFTWARE

My daily driver is an HTC 10, because I a software that is mostly bloat free and close to pure droid. I you add stuff in, it better be an enhancement and not just bell and whistles (I’m looking at you Samsung!). The original Oxygen OS (OnePlus’s in house version of Android) was not great. It was buggy and app crashes were common.

I have to say the newest version of Oxygen OS is fairly smooth. It’s also bloatware free. It’s basically stock android with a bunch of customization options added. I would say it’s one of the best android skins except for one glaring issue. Updates are painfully slow.

For a skin that is so close to stock, I cannot fathom why it takes OnePlus so long to push out updates. The OnePlus two just got its Marshmallow update in late May / early June. If you buy this phone, I would not expect to see Android N until Jan / Feb of 2017. I know they said December but this company has an awful track record when it comes to updates.

Side note – the dock (swipe left) in Oxygen is a great feature. I’ve actually been able to trim down the number of pages I have by using the dock. I now add widgets there instead of separate pages.

I have no idea when they did it, but in Oxygen there is an option for Wifi Calling. My Three did not have this option. This adds a lot of value for anyone on T-Mobile.

By default VoLTE is turned off. Don’t forget to turn it on if you are on a carrier that uses it.

MISC

Lots of phones have fast charging. OnePlus has Dash Charge. It sounds like a gimmick but it kinda works. If your phone is dead or nearly dead, Dash Charge will get you to 60 to 65% in half an hour. It slows down once you hit that mark, but it’s impressive. I’m just a little concerned that they are ignoring some standards when it comes to USB C to accomplish this. That might sound like a paranoid statement, but OnePlus pretty much ignored the standards when it came to the USB C with the Two. Let’s hope they didn’t do that again.

The fingerprint sensor works well. I’d say it’s on par with the Nexus 6P, iPhone, and Galaxy phones, but isn’t quite as good as the HTC 10. Overall it’s a good sensor.

OnePlus has a bunch of custom cases, buy they don’t offer a lot of protection. They are mainly for looks.

You do not get headphones with the phone.

OVERALL

To be honest, the OnePlus 3T is in the top ten, and possibly the top five Android smartphones you can buy right now. OnePlus finally got back on track and nailed a phone.

So should you but this phone?

Does this answer your question?

Phone Total Storage Price

OP3 128 479
    HTC 10 232 448
    HTC 10 150 423
    S7 Edge 232 490

For less you can get the 10, which has a better camera, cleaner software, boom sound, is already running Android N, and has an SD slot. For a little more a few dollars more you can get what many call the best smartphone available right now. How could I recommend this phone over those?

The prices have dropped on the top of the line phones to the point where the OnePlus 3T is not a value.

If you want to say you have the fastest phone with the most memory, or you really love Oxygen OS / OnePlus, then you might consider the OP3T.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2016

2. Tobikage
    Nougat Nov 28, 2016

Ceasedd and funmunke like this.
  3. funmunke
    Marshmallow Nov 28, 2016

Tobikage likes this.
  4. j244
    Ice Cream Sandwich Nov 28, 2016

j244 , Nov 28, 2016 :
    I like your review but I have some pointers. :)

Maybe you could say something about color accuracy.
    Because there are also those that turn up their nose for the display because of the awful color accuracy.
    Calling it colorful is very accurate but the word brilliant is a bit to much.

Dash charging does not slow down after reaching 60% 65% more like 90%

Also note that the LED light does not work as well as it did on the ONE. Some colours work, others don't. I was very disappointed by this and did not read about it in reviews before I bought my 3.

I think the camera cover is still glass, with only a tiny coating of sapphire.

OleIoannen likes this.
  5. Tobikage
    Nougat Nov 28, 2016

Tobikage , Nov 28, 2016 :
    If you want an AMOLED and color accuracy is of any concern to you , you buy a Samsung......not a OnePlus.

Ceasedd, funmunke and meatandy like this.
  6. j244

j244 , Nov 28, 2016 :
    Yes and that's exactly why I think it should be mentioned in a review about a OnePlus.

Makes sense no?:)

funmunke and Tobikage like this.
  7. Tobikage
    Nougat Nov 28, 2016

The 3T and the 3 have the same display....so , we already know everything there's to know about the display cmpared to other phones on the market.

So...I'm not sure what you're expecting from a user review as opposed to professional reviews that are done with proper equipment.
    Color accuracy and color palate / taste is subjective and will vary from user to user.

It either looks good....or it doesn't ;)

funmunke likes this.
  8. ungeeked

ungeeked , Nov 28, 2016 :
    I guess us/uk pricing of 3T is a mess. In India, both S7 32gb and htc 10 32 gb cost exactly 1.5 times that of op3 price (current data) S7 edge and pixel xl cost even more so they have got some breathing room to price the 3T.

funmunke likes this.
  9. j244

j244 , Nov 28, 2016 :
    You're right we already know but people new to the OnePlus 3/3T maybe won't know.

Color accuracy is certainly not subjective, what you think of the accurate colors is though.:p

Oh my expectations are always to high.. :(

Tobikage likes this.
  10. Tobikage
    Nougat Nov 28, 2016

That last part is exactly what subjective means ;)

j244 likes this.
  11. j244

j244 , Nov 28, 2016 :
    I know that! :D Read my comment again, what you think of it is subjective. But if it is or isn't accurate is not subjective.

tonyandrewsk and Tobikage like this.
  12. meatandy
    Oreo Nov 28, 2016

meatandy , Nov 28, 2016 :
    Terrific review Munke! I'm going to re-read this again later.

Deepak.Si, funmunke and Tobikage like this.
  13. funmunke
    Marshmallow Nov 28, 2016

That's what eBay is for. HTC ran a Black Friday special. The 10 was down to $399.

14. funmunke
    Marshmallow Nov 28, 2016

I tried to make the phone comparison section look better, but the format keeps failing.

15. sfomin
    Nougat Nov 28, 2016

sfomin , Nov 28, 2016 :
    Yeah right. Everything is good except this part[​IMG]

16. destz0r
    Gingerbread Nov 28, 2016

destz0r , Nov 28, 2016 :
    are u referring to the S7 here?

17. funmunke
    Marshmallow Nov 28, 2016

Yes. You can get a new one on eBay right now for 449. You can add a 200gb sd card for under 50 on Amazon.

18. Radeon962
    KitKat Nov 28, 2016

Radeon962 , Nov 28, 2016 :
    Nice review. Much better than the normal Kool-Aid tainted reviews normally posted.

funmunke likes this.
  19. funmunke
    Marshmallow Nov 28, 2016

Go eat a big can of...
    [​IMG]

Ceasedd likes this.
  20. funmunke
    Marshmallow Nov 28, 2016

.... they got Kool-Aid?!? I want some Kool-Aid!

Radeon962 likes this.