OnePlus 4th Anniversary - 4 Years of Sandstone

1. Chris dB Social Media Staff Member Dec 20, 2017

Chris dB, Dec 20, 2017 :
    forum-big.png

Friends,

It’s been 4 years since we set out on this journey together. Across those years, we have created a lot of history together. One thing that has stayed with us throughout all of those years is our favorite material, Sandstone. The philosophy behind OnePlus Sandstone has come to define our approach to design. We’re not different for the sake of being different, but we do things differently because we believe there is a better way. This grippy texture has become intertwined with our history, and become a true favorite of our community.

Sandstone has featured on each of our devices (and even some other devices ;) ) in some capacity. It’s telling that our brand has become so closely related to Sandstone. To this day, our Sandstone protective cases are our best-selling cases. At the launch of the OnePlus 5T, 30% of the people who purchased our latest flagship also ordered a Sandstone Case.

Our fans continue to harbor a fondness for our long-running series of Sandstone cases and Styleswaps (Remember those?). What we’d like to know is how you feel about Sandstone.

Have you ever owned a Sandstone product?
    What did you appreciate most?
    What are some of your fondest memories of this custom material?

Anyone remember the day we SANDSTONED ALL THE THINGS?!

To see the OnePlus community show this much appreciation for a material, proves just how uniquely passionate and devoted you guys are. Thank you for supporting the way we do things.

Never Settle.

2. backen Eclair Dec 21, 2017

backen, Dec 21, 2017 :
    I still use my OPO with the Sandstone finish and think it feels great! My girlfriend uses a OnePlus 3 with a Sandstone cover. If I would buy the OnePlus 5T (which I am very tempted to do) or some coming OnePlus smartphone I would for sure buy a Sandstone cover as well. Actually I kind of prefer that the Sandstone is applied to a cover instead of the device itself as I always want to protect my devices to some extent.

So I just hope that you keep designing slim but solid covers with Sandstone and Karbon finishes for future devices. And please, keep covers for older devices in stock longer, so we can keep protecting the devices we already have until we are ready to get a new one.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2017

3. smartbuddy Ice Cream Sandwich Dec 21, 2017

ratkutti and DuboisPierre like this.
  4. Vinkel Jelly Bean Dec 21, 2017

Vinkel, Dec 21, 2017 :
    The first iteration of the Sandstone texture is still the best, the one on the first batches of the OnePlus One with the CyanogenMod logo on the back. It felt more grainy and grippy. Hopefully that version of Sandstone will be back.
    But still love the Sandstone cover on my 3T.

midi.nagi, d1beats, bankaiii and 7 others like this.
  5. camohan Lollipop Moderator Dec 21, 2017

camohan, Dec 21, 2017 :
    Sandstone is quiet unique and thats the best thing I liked about it.

Yes I do remember the April 1 2016 , thread of yours @Chris dB where everything was sandstoned.

nomad44, d1beats, iLingaraj and 3 others like this.
  6. dsmonteiro The Lab - OnePlus 5T Reviewer Community Expert Dec 21, 2017

dsmonteiro, Dec 21, 2017 :
    I had the original OnePlus One, from the first production batch, that had a really gritty feel to it. It. was. awesome. The later batches had a smoother feel to it.

I then had the OP2 with the sandstone back and I loved that combination of a metal bezel all around with the sandstone finish on the back.

I'm currently rocking my OnePlus 5T with a sandstone cover. Would love to see a metal + sandstone model from you guys, though.

d1beats, pojr, triculious and 7 others like this.
  7. pa5t1s Marshmallow Dec 21, 2017

pa5t1s, Dec 21, 2017 :
    Sandstone? Yeah, this was the best joke OnePlus made once...
    launch_Blog-1.png
    I'm still laughing! [​IMG]

beepsforu, ritesh808, pojr and 20 others like this.
  8. pa5t1s Marshmallow Dec 21, 2017

gelmis, beepsforu, The1Lion and 4 others like this.
  9. RJBoss Lollipop Dec 21, 2017

RJBoss, Dec 21, 2017 :
    I got a Sandstone Case at 40% discount after uploading the OnePlus 5T unboxing pictures on my Instagram! Loved it.

10. Andy Gingerbread Dec 21, 2017

Andy, Dec 21, 2017 :
    I ordered my OnePlus One Sandstone Black 64 GB on the 8th July 2014 and it looks as good now as it did when I bought it! Just some almost imperceptible wear on the corners. I've not needed to replace it yet but when I do, it would be a shame to have to get an additional case in order to have that safe, grip-able, hard-wearing finish. If I were to get a 5T next year, and it were available in Sandstone Black, that would be the one for me.

d1beats, EcoVB and pa5t1s like this.
  11. lutti KitKat Dec 21, 2017

lutti, Dec 21, 2017 :
    I loved the sandstone on my One. I hate that it's not on OnePlus phones of today and how OnePlus has lost it's originality.

vinsert, anjumandanjum and pa5t1s like this.
  12. Court Mejias Ice Cream Sandwich Dec 21, 2017

Court Mejias, Dec 21, 2017 :
    Oh man, Sandstone was a game changer for me. It was something so unique. I remember the first time grabbing my OnePlus One and said to myself everything else is boring to me now.

I love to get a new OnePlus One again with the sandstone back and have it for an collectors item.

backen likes this.
  13. Cheetosdust Lollipop Dec 21, 2017

Cheetosdust, Dec 21, 2017 :
    My first experience with Sandstone was with the OnePlus 2 that I briefly had, but my longest time with the material was with the OnePlus 3 - the cover still is on the back of that phone.

I really like it. Sure, after all this time it worn out a bit, especially around the corners, but it’s grippy and it really makes handling the phone easier.

I have read that the back of the 5T Star Wars Limited Edition is made of a “Sandstone-like” material right on the phone. Why not use something like that on the next OnePlus? Everyone seems to love it.

As for my 5T, I already have a Karbon and a black Silicone Case, but yeah, couldn’t resist, so the run continues with what showed up just yesterday. Installing it now. ;)
    IMG_20171221_091610.jpg

14. eye842 KitKat Dec 21, 2017

eye842, Dec 21, 2017 :
    I still have a original unused OP2 styleswap.

I bought one as a gift and it was well received.

pa5t1s likes this.
  15. youbi Portuguese POC Assistant Head Moderator Dec 21, 2017

youbi, Dec 21, 2017 :
    I really love the touch of sandstone, and also that characteristic smell that you got from it when doing the unboxing of a new opo. :D But then you launched the bamboo styleswap and I fell in love again. :sweatsmile:

I love the touch of sandstone, but for the looks I will always go for the wood cases, they look quite unique. If you guys could come up with a sandstone wood case with the looks of the wood and the feel of the sandstone that would be a match made in heaven. :hearteyes: :D

That was indeed epic, and one of your best moments indeed. :)

16. G_plusone Lollipop Dec 21, 2017

17. Pekolas Cupcake Dec 21, 2017

18. wattsman10 Cupcake Dec 21, 2017

wattsman10, Dec 21, 2017 :
    I had the OP one with the sandstone back, which I've passed to my mother, still works after four years. I had the three without a case and not the five with a sandstone case. Love it

19. pablofg1978 Spanish POC Assistant Head Moderator Dec 21, 2017

gaster, GopalB., backen and 4 others like this.
  20. pablofg1978 Spanish POC Assistant Head Moderator Dec 21, 2017

pablofg1978, Dec 21, 2017 :
    I still have my opo Sandstone cover pretty new since I switched it to the bamboo cover. I was tempted to put it back several times but since it wasn't a easy task to remove the cover I never did. I miss the feeling of the Sandstone and the look of my friend when they hold it for first time.

gaster, pa5t1s and youbi like this.