Oneplus 5 camera not so good as publicised.

1. lukas.dvorok
    Honeycomb Jul 3, 2017

lukas.dvorok , Jul 3, 2017 :
    What she did was point and shoot camera style comparison. OP5 is not exactly point and shoot with HQ, HDR, HDRa, noHDR and manual mode. That's why she had so bad results in low light and HDR. Results are currently not spectacular in those modes, but not as bad as she presented neighter. OP camera currently gives you more freedom and control to any other auto mode out here. But apparently some users do not appreciate that and want better point and shoot. Personally, I like that OnePlus is giving users choice of HQ mode rather than forcing users to have aggressive noise reduction on all the time, like Samsung phones for example have.

2. lukas.dvorok
    Honeycomb Jul 3, 2017

This is same old question about portability. Even I have a6000 compact mirror less camera + 1.8 50mm + other glasses. I do not carry it everywhere. OP5 is so small and so light compared to it and it can do some much more than take pictures. True a6000 with 1.8 can outperform it at least 10 times when it comes to picture quality and features, but still I'm happy that OnePlus is giving us some manual control over Google Pixel full auto for everything thinking. Even Sony in they Xperia line finally recently introduced full manual mode after years of forcing users to use their superior auto mode. :)

3. Andrei R.
    Ice Cream Sandwich Jul 3, 2017

Andrei R. , Jul 3, 2017 :
    Maybe it's an advertising mode for stupid people.
    People that would say : "I won't get another phone because it doesn't feature the HQ camera mode and the photos will look bad. I'm so glad i chose Oneplus. Yay!"... Or maybe it's just a simple software problem and will be easily fixed in the next updates. I hope it'll be fixed, even if I don't own the 5.

4. lukas.dvorok
    Honeycomb Jul 3, 2017

Actually HDR and HDRa have same ISO and same shutter speed most of time, but HDRa produces less noise compared to HDR. I suspect that processing and way how HDR mode is recovering details dark and bright areas are responsible for visible noice especially noticable in low light or zoomed shots, especially on uniform color areas. Not so much during daylight, busy scenes, or 1x zoom.

5. _Shubham_Datta_Bamane_
    Cupcake Jul 3, 2017

6. LOCKDOWN117

LOCKDOWN117 , Jul 3, 2017 :
    Pros and Cons of OP 5 camera

Pros:-
    1.Dual Camera
    *gives 1.6X optical zoom which could or maybe usefull in some scenario's
    *Better Depth Simulation with the help of dual Camera compared to single mode portrait
    *Good Depth simulation

Cons:-
    1.Lack of OIS
    *Lower quality pictures compared to previous generation phones such as LG G4,P9 etc
    *Low light performance is poor due to Lack of OIS
    *No manual Depth control(Huawei provides this)
    *Soft images Lacking details compared to Flagship 12-13MPs images(S7,S8,G6,P9,P10 etc)
    *Too much noise and blurry images in low light thanks to no OIS

7. G_Francesco_Velino_nILC
    Gingerbread Jul 3, 2017

8. lukas.dvorok
    Honeycomb Jul 3, 2017

S7 Edge with F/1.7 lens 1.4um pixels 12Mpix OIS beaten hard by OP5 F/1.7 1.12um 16Mpix (no OIS) handheld low light comparison

Enough of this non-sense discussion that we need OIS this and that... I have compared last years S7 Edge with OP5 in very difficult low light conditions for you ;) When I say OP5 camera is better, it's better. You just need to know, how to shoot a nice picture in manual mode. ;)

OP5 left / S7 EDGE right
    [​IMG]

Full pictures with EXIF data here (I have tried many combinations, verified many times if I can replicate OP5 results):
    http://lukasdvorok.imgur.com/

I'm also happy to share .zip file and make more photos if someone is interested. This can be replicated anywhere, anytime.

People just don't believe me. I was trying to use S7 Edge for well over year. It's manual mode sucks REALLY bad, cause of different processing to auto mode. I got best shot here using auto mode, other pictures using manual mode disaster as always, you can set shutter, ISO, but no way to resolve more detail or get better shot.

I'm pretty amazed by how OP5 camera can shoot even 0.8s shutter handheld without OIS! That is absolutely incredible. Almost it feels like camera is taking pictures as long until your hands are out of shake and select sharpest one from that bunch and present you that one as result in manual mode.

I was able to manage to down to ISO 400 even 200 on OP5 and get incredible detail, considering poor light conditions. S7 EDGE wasn't able to resolve any of that detail on any ISO and shutter combination, not even ISO 50 and long shutter speed.

Hope this will open eyes of these consumer brainwashed people here repeating OIS, poor low light, dadada, like sheep in pack going blindly into the abyss...

rev4512, Kamal Hans, agoinfly and 3 others like this.
  9. johnhart

johnhart , Jul 3, 2017 :
    I would argue most users want to point and shoot. Including myself.

10. LOCKDOWN117

I have compared this with my friends Samsung S8 and my previous LG G4
    pls don't tell me how to use manual mode or how to take better images..I know what I'm having also having the OIS for the price point is essential and must for better low light performance as it improves the camera in all aspects such as portrait,Macro,videos most importantly low light ..I can't take this phone with a tripod every where I go.
    even the daylight images are soft

11. LOCKDOWN117

yes..that's why it's soft at low light compared to even G6

12. lukas.dvorok
    Honeycomb Jul 3, 2017

One size fits all? :D That's boring... What is this OnePlus slogan, never settle? Samsung S8 or Google Pixel will do great auto mode photos for you, of course for some extra fee. And their auto modes won't be ever as good as semi-auto in general. Unless they figure out how to read people minds. :) Semi-auto on OP5 is already quite capable, even more capable that auto on S7 (latest firmware update) as you can read in my previous post, so unless OP screws something, it can be only better. What I'm trying to say that OP5 auto modes (HQ,HDRa,HDR) are already good enough for price of this device, if they got any better in future software updates for you and other point and shoot people it will even increase bang or buck value on OP5. :)

Btw, do you at least use exposure slider when you tap focus in any of auto modes to get desired exposure level for your shot? :D

13. lukas.dvorok
    Honeycomb Jul 3, 2017

Please read my post once again. I have just proven to you by hard evidence that OP5 without OIS can take better images in low light than S7 EDGE with OIS. What part have you missed on that? :)

Can you back your bold statements by some evidence? Please provide also information what mode have you used while taking shot with OP5 if you do, together with EXIF data.

Cheers, Lukas

14. Tommy6860
    Honeycomb Jul 3, 2017

Tommy6860 , Jul 3, 2017 :
    Perhaps you are correct. But that won't fix the deal breaker for me; no OIS is something that can't be fixed. I have the 3t and I love it and I am happy with its camera. But my 3t has OIS, so downgrading from that feature on the 5 was a horrible idea.

15. LOCKDOWN117

I have tried portrait mode on both
    S8 and Op5
    OP5 was able to do better in simulating depth while the S8 was better at details
    I have taken few pics and compared the same images of both where S8 has lot better detail compared to OP5..it was an indoor shot of a sock btw

16. G_Omar_Itani_JEnq
    Cupcake Jul 4, 2017

17. johnhart
    Ice Cream Sandwich Jul 4, 2017

johnhart , Jul 4, 2017 :
    Sure. But the point is people don't judge phone cameras by spec and not readily discernible features. They point and click in various modes... which is what Key did. And I kind of ignored her specific opinions and judged the pics with my own eyes.

That was the real value of what she was doing. Two famed phones up against OP5. In five minutes a zillion questions answered. My takeaway was that OP5 camera is nearly as good as flagship competitors.

That's fine by me. That's all I need to know.

18. frusinate
    Ice Cream Sandwich Jul 4, 2017

19. Mallulegend
    Eclair Jul 4, 2017

20. lukas.dvorok
    Honeycomb Jul 4, 2017

lukas.dvorok , Jul 4, 2017 :
    If you compare detail do not take pictures at 1x zoom and zoom in to compare detail. Samsung uses way too much processing and over sharpening to make photos look more detailed that they really are. Go 8x zoom in both devices, then compare. For better results, you can go to manual mode on OP and set lower ISO and exposure time if you liking. I was able to go as low as 0.8 seconds on OP and still get sharp shot of static scene most of the time, handheld. I do not understand how is that possible without OIS, but it somehow works. Going to manual mode most probably won't give you any benefit at S8, only worse pictures. From what I saw playing with S8 camera for 30 minutes in store when I was considering buying it, manual (PRO) mode is same old crap as on S7 (latest update). The reason you want to go manual mode is because OP5 auto mode is way too conservative aiming at 1/17 of second longest shutter time, 1/10 when there is really extremely low light. Samsung usually goes as low as 1/4 in auto mode. That is one of reasons that give people illusion Samsung takes more detailed and better photos. :)