OnePlus 5 encryption

1. HyperToast
    Cupcake Jun 28, 2017

HyperToast , Jun 28, 2017 :
    On my OP One, there was an option to set a password for the encryption. This would mean, when I started the phone, it would prompt me for the same before it can "decrypt" the file system.

I cannot seem to find any option to set the password on OP5... It is scary to me that if I loose my phone, someone will simply need to put in random PIN combos to gain access to my data...

2. cole.godberson
    Gingerbread Jun 28, 2017

3. lostLambda
    Lollipop Jun 28, 2017

lostLambda , Jun 28, 2017 :
    Is the phone globally encrypted from the factory? Or do you have to encrypt the user/data partition in a separate action?

4. MaxSayre
    Honeycomb Jun 29, 2017

MaxSayre , Jun 29, 2017 :
    Cole is correct. It is encrypted from the factory. All new Android phones should be.

5. monilchheda
    Cupcake Jun 29, 2017

monilchheda , Jun 29, 2017 :
    I have FingerPrint + Pin setup on the OP5. Lets say I loose the phone or someone steals it. They will not have my fingerprint. so, they will attempt to break the PIN. So, is my phone at risk? I would have preferred phone not even start/ boot in the first case. So, what happens in this situation?

mkernbach likes this.
  6. Kiwi96
    Cupcake Jun 29, 2017

Kiwi96 , Jun 29, 2017 :
    how do i use/find the secure box? Does It use the same encryption as It does with the phone?

7. mlnaras
    Cupcake Jun 29, 2017

8. MaxSayre
    Honeycomb Jun 29, 2017

Your phone is not at risk unless they can guess the PIN. To decrease the chances of that happening, use a longer PIN. :)

There's no "secure box"? There is an app locker though. All this does is put an additional password on particular apps as far as I understand. Although it does specify "encrypted" in the settings menu.

You can see this in the "Securitiy & Fingerprints" section on your phone.

9. monilchheda
    Cupcake Jun 29, 2017

monilchheda , Jun 29, 2017 :
    so this essentially makes the phone less secure? because the attacker can simply guess a password... atleast with full disk encryption, there were two safe guards.

10. MaxSayre
    Honeycomb Jun 29, 2017

That's not technically accurate. The level of security is the same, both use "full disk encryption". A password for the sake of a password does not make it more secure. I would suggest using a longer password/PIN so it's harder to guess if you're that nervous.

In either case, if someone were to steal the device while it were on (because isn't it always?) then you've already entered the first password anyway.