OnePlus 5 - Freedom Mobile (Wind) - 4G/LTE

1. astracd
    Gingerbread Mar 1, 2018

astracd , Mar 1, 2018 :
    on my OP2 I used Xposed 87 and GravityBox ... with GravityBox you could change it...

there are also tutorials online how to do it on any device
    I never try it, use at your own risk

peter36nba likes this.
  2. piotrick
    Gingerbread Mar 24, 2018

piotrick , Mar 24, 2018 :
    So now that LTE has rolled out on other bands in the GTA, is anyone noticing slower performance? I am wondering if the fix OnePlus put in for our phones to actively switch to band 66 is still working the same. If it's already on 4G on other bands, would it switch to band 66 for the best performance?

Did a speedtest at home on 4G and received 2mbit download which is quite low for band 66 IMO.

3. gillau
    Eclair Mar 24, 2018

gillau , Mar 24, 2018 :
    How can you tell what band the phone is on?

4. piotrick
    Gingerbread Mar 24, 2018

piotrick , Mar 24, 2018 :
    I downloaded LTE discovery after I posted. Looks like it's preferring band 4.

5. gillau
    Eclair Mar 24, 2018

gillau , Mar 24, 2018 :
    I did also but it showed LTE unknown

6. astracd
    Gingerbread Apr 17, 2018

gillau likes this.
  7. vicwhit
    Cupcake Apr 20, 2018

vicwhit , Apr 20, 2018 :
    NewBee here. I am considering buying a used OP5 for use on Freedom Mobile and looking for positive/negative feedback. If you were to do it all over again, would you stick with your OP5?

8. G_Harshi_Easwaran_JEZN
    Gingerbread Apr 20, 2018

G_Harshi_Easwaran_JEZN , Apr 20, 2018 :
    y not wait for the op6? but to answer ur question the op5 is great at the moment im in the gta and im not experiencing any issues

9. gillau
    Eclair Apr 20, 2018

gillau , Apr 20, 2018 :
    works well. would do it again for sure

10. astracd
    Gingerbread Apr 21, 2018

astracd , Apr 21, 2018 :
    I love mine OP5. Works amazing with Freedom Mobile now.

11. AlexandreP
    Honeycomb Apr 21, 2018

AlexandreP , Apr 21, 2018 :
    The issue was really when the OP5 first got launched, it did not support Freedom's mobile bands out-of-the-box. Those bands' support has been added since a couple of stable releases now, so there should be no more issue on a up-to-date phone (OxygenOS 4.5.14 or newer). If you happen to get a hand on an OP5, just make sure you apply all system updates, and you should be good to go.

Will be interesting to see if OP6 will support band 66 out of the box, now that it has been backported to OP5/5T. :)

astracd likes this.
  12. vicwhit
    Cupcake Apr 23, 2018

vicwhit , Apr 23, 2018 :
    Thanks for all your replies. I am much more comfortable buying the OP5 for Freedom Mobile. I should have one within a couple of days.

astracd likes this.
  13. astracd
    Gingerbread Apr 23, 2018

14. piotrick
    Gingerbread Apr 23, 2018

piotrick , Apr 23, 2018 :
    I continue to have delayed data connectivity here in Toronto. takes a long time to establish a connection to load tweets, Instagram, load a website, etc. with full 4G signal. Once it's connected it seems fine, and speed tests are okay. Very bizarre. Nobody else has experienced worse performance over the past month?

15. gillau
    Eclair Apr 23, 2018

gillau , Apr 23, 2018 :
    I haven't noticed it until literally after reading your post today. maybe reading your post caused the problem :(

piotrick likes this.
  16. astracd
    Gingerbread Apr 24, 2018

astracd , Apr 24, 2018 :
    Mine seems to work fine in Alberta. I read somewhere that GTA is on different band than Alberta?

17. sometheway
    Ice Cream Sandwich Apr 25, 2018

sometheway , Apr 25, 2018 :
    I have a issue with mine Oneplus 3T, the 4G speeds is fine, the problem is my network at least 8,9 times a time change from home to freedom, even my friends call em but my phone doesn't ring, only after a few minutes I receive a message saying I have a miss call, any one has the same problem??

18. astracd
    Gingerbread Apr 26, 2018

19. Paschfire
    KitKat May 13, 2018

Paschfire , May 13, 2018 :
    I'm trying freedom on my 3T the last 13days in Ottawa, Ont. and yes this exact same issue has happened to me a dozen times already.

Text messaging also take forever to send because of how freedom handles band switching for data, sms and calls. Taking anywhere from 20sec upto a 1~2mins for messages to send.

Friends of mine whom are regular Freedom users says this is quite common for them to miss calls, their device never rings, only to be notified by text message that they've missed calls.

I'll be changing to Fido, Koodo, or Public Mobile by the end of the month, Freedom is just horrible service.

Last edited: May 13, 2018

20. nuke
    Donut May 18, 2018

nuke , May 18, 2018 :
    FYI, text messaging on Freedom with other phones are notoriously slow. My Nexus 5 on Freedom sometimes takes up to 12 hours to get a text message. That sucks since texts are usually stale in a few minutes. So 20 sec to 1 min to send isn't too bad but instantaneous should be the norm.