Oneplus 5 GPS fix?

1. dtvm Cupcake Dec 2, 2018

dtvm, Dec 2, 2018 :
    I wanted to attempt this today. What are the risks in putting aluminum tape into this spot of the phone? Is there any chance of overheating and fire? I use a magnetic car mount, will this cause any problems?

2. juanalgravez Cupcake Feb 5, 2019

juanalgravez, Feb 5, 2019 :
    I just reset all stored data and cache on the Google Location Services App and my GPS works fine again, I have Android 9 on a Oneplus 5

3. jo@joj Cupcake Mar 6, 2019

jo@joj, Mar 6, 2019 :
    Thanks. What a GREAT FIX. Installed extra spunge and works fine now. So greatful to you[e]1f4aa[/e][e]1f4aa[/e][e]1f4aa[/e]

ICE80 likes this.
  4. kingdew11 Cupcake Mar 14, 2019

kingdew11, Mar 14, 2019 :

really wanna try this but is it even possible to remove the screws lol

5. one.84 Cupcake Mar 28, 2019

6. ICE80 Cupcake Mar 28, 2019

ICE80, Mar 28, 2019 :
    It's a small torx.I am unsure about the size.You can also carefully use apples pentalobe screwdriver.

7. pawik1 Cupcake May 3, 2019

pawik1, May 3, 2019 :
    I am on my fourth oneplus now. My newest is a oneplus 5 bought about 18 months ago.
    Suddenly, about a week ago, the phone gps started to behave very strange. I am doing a lot of
    turf, sort of bicycling around the surroundings where I live taking zones with the
    help of a phone gps. With phone gps giving faulty input I was almost unable to take any zones.
    I tried with my spare oneplus 3 and the problem was gone.
    With the google app GPS Test I could see that my oneplus 3 had almost double the gps signal strength
    compared to my oneplus 5. It also had input from many more satelites than my oneplus 5.

I also did the gps test using *#808# in the phones.
    Oneplus 3 passed and oneplus 5 failed as in the first post in this thread.

I followed ICE80 description of the fix, post #8 in the thread. It was tricky and hard removing the
    backcover but I succeeded. I could identify the parts with help of the photos. I touched the parts
    with my hands, no gloves. I could not see anything special and I assembled my oneplus 5 again. I went
    outside doing the GPS Test and *#808# test. Signal and input was much stronger and the test passed.

Thank You for this info ICE80.

Regards
    /pawik

ICE80 likes this.
  8. qnorsten Cupcake May 20, 2019

qnorsten, May 20, 2019 :
    I am having the same problem, after a recent screen replacement.
    I am thinking about attempting the steps listed by ICE80 and have now ordered a torx T2 screwdrive to be able to remove the screws.

A question do all of you that have attempted this .
    How difficult would you say it is to remove the back cover without breaking anything? As that is my biggest concern right now, would rather not break any clip or anything else as I really need the phone working for about 1 more year (hence the screen replacement) before I think it is time to update. It is still a good and powerful enough phone for me.

Last edited: May 20, 2019

ICE80 likes this.
  9. laticsmon Cupcake May 21, 2019

laticsmon, May 21, 2019 :
    I have a cracked screen, top right corner, and did this without any further damage. Give it a go. well worth it

ICE80 likes this.
  10. qnorsten Cupcake May 23, 2019

qnorsten, May 23, 2019 :
    I just tried the steps by ICE80. Everything seemed good except that my screen is now completly black and won't turn on. Anyone know what might be the cause of this? Some cable or something I accently pulled out?

11. ICE80 Cupcake May 23, 2019

ICE80, May 23, 2019 :
    Chech that flexicable to screen is seated properly and that it is not damaged.The slightest tear in the cable will make it not work. I hope you did not use metal tools when prying this cable loose? Does it seem that device does turn on otherwise? Just make also sure that battery cable is properly seated. If nothing of these work the screen is broken.

12. juswantrai Cupcake Jul 5, 2019

juswantrai, Jul 5, 2019 :
    Thank you ICE80.. this worked perfectly for me .. I was nervous about taking the phone apart... got the right tools and the GPS speed is now awesome !

burger2 and ICE80 like this.
  13. JeySan Eclair Jul 31, 2019

JeySan, Jul 31, 2019 :

Hello Friend,

even i am using my OP6T currently, i wanted to repair my OP5.

same ussue like all others. I ordered spare-parts from ebay.

1. GPS/ WIFI-Connection Board
    2. New Batterie (may 2019!)

I opened my device with youtube tutorials, cleaned the back-cover connection ports from WIFI Board with 100% alcohol and replaced the whole wifi board.

and now? its working great!

even my wifi got better :-D Thank you very much!

burger2 and ICE80 like this.
  14. ShaneODrainO Donut Aug 5, 2019

ShaneODrainO, Aug 5, 2019 :
    ICE80's post should be pinned to the top of the OnePlus5 Forum. So many people complaining about GPS

August 1st, I followed the steps provided by ICE80 and am super happy with the results. Previously, my GPS had been crap for over a year. I couldn't consistently lock onto satellites inside a car. Even in open air, the location would drift all over the place and rarely match other phones around me. Since the fix, Waze, Maps, and Pokemon Go are all locked onto satellites immediately. No issues inside the car at all

Some notes for anyone who is hesitant
    • The screws are Torx T2 - T2 bits are rarely included in typical Phone repair kits, just double check or buy separately
    • Getting the back cover off was difficult with a plastic spudger. I bought a metal pry tool to get it started. It did require a bit of force
    • My phone Did have the "Copper Spunge," I removed it and replaced with an aluminum tape ball as suggested
    Thanks again ICE80

ICE80 likes this.
  15. O1542392443700 Cupcake Aug 13, 2019 at 6:02 AM

O1542392443700, Aug 13, 2019 at 6:02 AM :
    Thank you ICE80.
    In my case the copper "spunge" was completely missing on the replacement screen assembly frame.
    I pulled-out this thing from the original screen assembly (it has cracked screen) and inserted it into the frame.
    Assembled the phone back and GPS Test immediately shows 3D Fix even indoors.

ICE80 likes this.