Oneplus 5 GPS fix?

1. georgesunnyt
    Eclair Nov 17, 2019

2. hyveltjuven
    Cupcake Nov 25, 2019

hyveltjuven , Nov 25, 2019 :
    My GPS has been acting up for months and this seems to have fixed it completely. I had some trouble prying the flex cable loose as I was afraid I would tear it, but it worked out in the end by just proceeding with care. Thank you!

ICE80 likes this.
  3. Tahuman
    Cupcake Nov 30, 2019

Tahuman , Nov 30, 2019 :
    So, my take on that: for months now, I had suffered from the GPS problem, and when you google around, it's easy to find out that many, many other OnePlus 5 owners expierence the same issue.

I got myself the necessary tools and started to follow ICE80's guide, but I quickly gave up and understood that this is way beyond my dexterity skills. So I googled for the next phone repair shop with high ratings (for anybody in Munich, Germany, I've got a recommendation). The guy there was quite surprised when I showed him my printed out guide, but followed it. First, it didn't work. I asked him to open the phone again, and he stuffed even more alu at the right spot, and then the magic happened: suddenly, this *#808# test that invariably failed before worked out! GPS Lock and GPS Test both showed numerous satellites! Everything is now working fine!

So, my commentaries in short:

(1) ICE80 is a magician! I owe you!!! (But I keep wondering how somebody comes up with the idea of adding some aluminium to a phone antenna---absolutely incredible.)

(2) Watching the phone repair guy, I'd recommend: if you're as clumsy as I am, do not try this at home. This is something which somebody how's not doing such things otherwise could not do on his own!

(3) Be generous with the aluminium.

(4) I'm slightly unhappy with OnePlus, to be honest. I absolutely would like to buy a OnePlus, too, next time, but can I be sure that there won't be any antenna grounding problems then? The thing I don't like is that so many people have sent their phones in, and OnePlus doesn't seem to know the magic that is known only to ICE80.

ICE80 likes this.
  4. kabirkukreti
    Cupcake Dec 9, 2019

kabirkukreti , Dec 9, 2019 :
    Hi
    I am facing the same issue. However I am not confident that I can.open my phone and do this. The parts seem delicate to me and I don't want to damage my phone.
    If anyone could give me any recommendations in Mumbai where one has gone and got this GPS issue fixed, please let me know.
    I have already been to one plus service centre and even got my GPS antenna replaced, but still the issue persists.
    Can anyone recommend me any shop in Mumbai area to get this fixed ? Help would be appreciated.

5. G_Alex_Von_Gribish_qaSY
    Cupcake Dec 15, 2019

G_Alex_Von_Gribish_qaSY , Dec 15, 2019 :
    Experiencing the same problem, nothing from various settings tries or total reinstalling fixed it so i guess it's hardware related...
    Is it possible to get oneplus fix it with a rma, as i'm not able to fix it myself with ice80 fix?

6. juanitolol
    Donut Jan 2, 2020

juanitolol , Jan 2, 2020 :
    Thanks boss,

ICE80 likes this.
  7. G1577982493881
    Cupcake Jan 2, 2020

G1577982493881 , Jan 2, 2020 :

This worked for me too.
    The copper spunge was in place but I also inserted an aluminium paper, and it fixed my GPS.
    Thanks for sharing this solution.

Moon

ICE80 likes this.
  8. G_Gustavo_Andreo_hdCo , via OnePlus 5 , Jan 16, 2020 :
    Thank you very much, it works!

ICE80 likes this.
  9. raults96
    Cupcake Feb 17, 2020

raults96 , Feb 17, 2020 :
    Thanks, this worked for me aswell!

ICE80 likes this.
  10. Radu_Constantin
    Cupcake Feb 19, 2020

Radu_Constantin , Feb 19, 2020 :
    wish i found this gold mine earlier... just fixed it (had the copper spunge but still added the aluminium, works like a charm! Thank you very much!

ICE80 likes this.
  11. G1520443196680
    Cupcake Feb 27, 2020

G1520443196680 , Feb 27, 2020 :
    Did this earlier today, tried 3 different times and had the copper spunge there so just stacked some aluminum on top of that. Went outside and the *#808# test showed me a pass on the first test, but then when I reattempted it keeps failing.

The GPS does actually seem to work fine now so happy about that, it was mostly unusable before and would take 3-5 minutes to update after turns. Drove around for 2 hours today and seemed reliable. Should I reattempt the fix to get a PASS result or can these fail on the this phone sometimes?

12. georgesunnyt
    Eclair Mar 14, 2020

georgesunnyt , via OnePlus 7 Pro , Mar 14, 2020 :
    it will eventually start failing after sometime. Atleast, that's what happened in my case. I sold it off and got another phone.

13. beansidhe
    Cupcake Apr 23, 2020

beansidhe , Apr 23, 2020 :
    Hi, ICE80 fix works, I preformed it about a year ago but only repositioned the copper 'filler' and it worked but after a year see the GPS is again not always connecting so again redid ICE80 fix and this time I replaced the copper 'filler' with tin-foil and again have a full connection of GPS (even inside my house).
    This issue seems to be bad design by oneplus team, I mean designing a GPS with a piece of copper 'filling' as main connection, a part that customer need to replace with tin-foil to repair.
    Do not forget this was oneplus flagship phone a few years ago....I am reluctant to buy the new oneplus 8 because if I have this issue I probably will stop buying oneplus phones altogether

Last edited: May 2, 2020

strixaluco likes this.
  14. strixaluco
    Cupcake Apr 24, 2020

strixaluco , Apr 24, 2020 :
    Thank you so much, ICE80, now GPS works. What is concerning is that my phone simply never had ANY hole, as shown at your pic 4, so I had to tear the black tape off in order to put the foil inside. Obviously there was no copper spunge either.

beansidhe and ICE80 like this.
  15. G_Paul_Ochon
    Cupcake May 23, 2020

G_Paul_Ochon , May 23, 2020 :
    Wonderful fix, thanks ICE80 !
    Initially I thought it hadn't worked (GPS test kept failing from time to time) but GMaps always works flawlessly, even inside my car.

ICE80 likes this.
  16. oLpH
    Cupcake May 28, 2020

oLpH , May 28, 2020 :

thank you.

it worked

ICE80 likes this.
  17. Nathen
    Cupcake May 29, 2020

Nathen , May 29, 2020 :
    So this is what happened for me, I ordered the 'official' screen plus frame replacement from Witrigs, tried to follow their video but some things were missing or flashed over too quickly, like 1 second flash of where the 7 screws are located, so I found a better video, got it all put back together and the next day tried to navigate to work and the GPS would give me a current location but once I started navigation that location would not move, so I could back out and click start navigation again and it would have caught up to where I was and give me my next turn etc, but I'd be froze in that spot again on the map, since I drive to many addresses throughout the day this was very annoying. Then I found this thread, at first I thought wow how rude, the OP had a legit question and the response was like "rtfm noob", I was thinking this community is better than that. Then I got down to ICE80's post and was like yeah that's what I'm talkin about! So after removing the back cover and the antenna I saw that the pocket where the copper "spunge" was supposed to be had been taped over with the adhesive strip for the antenna, obviously no copper there, this on Witrigs "official" OnePlus 5 replacement screen plus frame. So I removed the copper "Spunge" from the old frame with the broken screen and contemplated installing that, but after reading this entire thread it sounded like the aluminum foil would actually be an upgrade over stock, so I spent all night with a pair of tweezers folding a tiny little block of foil the size or slightly bigger than the copper piece that came stock. I had to start over half a dozen times because once you've folded foil that small if it's not the right size you just have to start over. Now I am happy to say the GPS works flawlessly, I wish I'd had the GPS test app before all this so would know if it works better than original. Thank you ICE80, if you are still around, I know this is a very old thread, and I hope my OnePlus 5 works for many more years, especially thanks to the support of this DIY community

ICE80 likes this.
  18. micerm
    Cupcake Jun 4, 2020

micerm , Jun 4, 2020 :
    Many thanks for this guide! I ordered T1 screwdriver (like this from Ali Expr.: https://www.**********.com/item/4000095531576.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.6c9c4c4dcYg4zc) and it did the job well. I used guitar pick and other plastic tools to open the phone cover.

I put a small piece of folded aluminium foil I took from the kitchen. Really nothing special is need. My GPS now works like charm again.

ICE80 likes this.
  19. maaalx
    Cupcake Jun 11, 2020

maaalx , Jun 11, 2020 :
    It did work, you are genius.
    But still not strong as oneplus 6 when comparing both devices on the same location,
    I got 11 satellites and 9 meters accuracy and 18 satellites and 3 meters on oneplus 6.
    Any idea how to improve gps antenna on oneplus 5?

20. tarikaltuncu
    Cupcake Jun 16, 2020

tarikaltuncu , Jun 16, 2020 :
    Do not know how and why, but it worked!

I was scared when I pried the gps flex cable thorugh, and did not need to put aluminum tape as there was already the copper in it.

No connection was bent, nor dirty. However it was not working properly. I just opened it up and reassemble. Bingo, it works well again. Weird.

ICE80 likes this.