OxygenOS OnePlus 5 stuck in a bootloop after device crash

1. Kiljan Kandetzki
    Cupcake Apr 19, 2021

Kiljan Kandetzki , Apr 19, 2021 :
    I opened up discord to join a call and the phone crashed. It has happened before, but this time I got stuck in a bootloop and can't turn the phone on fully. I do not know the exact specifications of my OS and such, as I can't really turn on the phone to check.

IMPORTANT: I have backed up most of my photos, but forgot to turn on the google drive upload of my WhatsApp backups, meaning that I'd be fine with losing the photos of the last two months, but would REALLY like to resolve the bootloop without any data loss to at least get back into the system and upload my latest WhatsApp backup to the cloud.

The Device:
    - runs Android 8.0 or 8.1 (one of the earlier versions of oreo)
    - CAN boot into recovery mode (and will do so on its own after one bootloop loop)
    - CAN boot into Fastboot mode
    - runs the stock os, unmodified, locked bootloader, no root
    - has very little storage left (was gonna clean up soon, but that's too late now)
    - can be updated through ADB sideloading apparently
    - does not listen to any other ADB commands sadly

I already tried:
    - clearing the cache through recovery mode
    - rebooting several times
    - forcing a shutdown and rebooting while pressing both volume keys
    - draining the battery down to 0% and waiting an hour before reboot
    - letting the phone sit overnight and trying to reboot afterwards.

Does anyone know what I could do to fix the issue?! I am trying to do this WITHOUT data loss, since I haven't backed everything up properly (I know I'm stupid for that, I'm gonna do that in the future).

Some people on reddit recommended just loading an OTA update over the recovery menu or Fastboot and maybe modifying the update files so that it doesn't clear the data partition or something.

Should I use this update from the official page and use ADB to update the system, or will that clear my data?! There are also old OTA mirrors from this thread that could work, I think.

If I pick an old version from the community thread, should I try to find out my android version and pick the exact appropriate incremental upgrade from the list, or just go with the main android 8 update from oxygenOS and not worry about finding the correct incremental upgrade?!

Will any of these ideas wipe out my data?!

Any answers would be greatly appreciated, as I'm slowly losing my sanity over this.

The recovery mode also offers you to install an OTA update from the internal storage (sadly I don't have any OTA updates downloaded on the phone though). This feature allows me to browser SOME of the folders on my phone and it seems like the WhatsApp data is at least still there. I just can't access it because I can't boot my phone.

2. Caoimhín
    OnePlus 9 Series Expert Community Expert Apr 20, 2021

Caoimhín , via OnePlus 6T , Apr 20, 2021 :
    The update from the official thread may install without deleting data as an upgrade, however with the issue you have, it may also wipe the phone.

The XDA suggestion will completely wipe the phone, as it does a complete format of the device.

In the scenario you are experiencing, you may lose all phone data. But you won't know until you try. There are no guarantees unfortunately.

3. jekson
    Cupcake Apr 29, 2021

jekson , Apr 29, 2021 :
    i'm update my oneplus 5 android 10/0/0 to 10.0.1 and finish :( after reboot

download recomendatid from xda forum soft: cheeseburger_23_J.52_200224 and start him... error
    firehosecheckrsp failed errno:258 /sw_release/MSM8998/16859_P/ReleaseBuild/MP/OXYGEN/MSM_16859_200224_2003_user

i don't know what do it. help!!