OnePlus 5G Open Course Part 2: Benefits of 5G

1. Dale F. Copywriter Staff Member Mar 14, 2019

Dale F., Mar 14, 2019 :
    Forum-5G (1).png

To see this course in French, please follow this link.

Hi friends,

We hope you enjoyed the first part of our 5G Open Course series. If you missed it, you can find it here.

In part 2, we’re going to focus on the improvements 5G will bring to our day-to-day lives. But first, let’s look at what exactly is needed if we want to use 5G for ourselves.

How do I access 5G?

Any smartphone currently on the market is unable to connect to 5G networks. That’s because a device must have a 5G modem inside it to communicate with 5G networks. A simple software update alone won’t “enable” 5G on a smartphone – you will need to get a smartphone with the necessary 5G hardware inside it to be able to use 5G. Your carrier must also have an active 5G network, and you may need to contact your carrier to switch to a 5G plan.

Later this year, OnePlus will release our 5G smartphone in Europe, alongside our partners EE and Elisa, letting OnePlus fans be among the first to be a part of this exciting new generation.

So, to recap, this is what you need to access 5G:
    • A 5G device, such as the upcoming OnePlus 5G smartphone
    • A subscription to a 5G network, such as those of EE in the UK or Elisa in Finland
    • You may also need to switch to a 5G plan with your carrier
    What’s so great about 5G?

You’ve probably read a lot of things about 5G lately and how it’s set to change our lives. But in real terms, what changes will it bring? Well, there are three main benefits of 5G.

The first benefit is lower latency.

If you’re not familiar with this term, it refers to the amount of time it takes a piece of data to get from one point to another.

To put it in simple terms, think about a time when you’ve been on a Skype or WhatsApp call with someone and there’s a delay in their voice reaching you, or yours reaching them. This is caused by high latency. Or if you’ve ever played a game online and it seems like your character is taking ages to respond, high latency is also to blame.

Current 4G networks have a latency of around 30-40 milliseconds, while 5G networks are expected to have a latency of just 10 milliseconds or less.

There are many ways that this lower latency will benefit us:
    • Webpages and video streams will load instantly.
    • Online gaming will improve drastically, as the time it takes for the network to receive commands from a device will be drastically reduced, allowing for increased gaming accuracy.
    • Devices such as driverless vehicles or drones will be able to be controlled remotely with great precision, allowing for autonomous deliveries or rescue missions.
    • Remote robotic surgery will be possible – a surgeon won’t need to be in the same room, or even the same country, as the patient.They will be able to control a robotic arm and perform surgery from anywhere in the world over a 5G connection.
    The second benefit is increased capacity.

5G networks allow for a higher number of simultaneous connections than 4G networks. Put simply, this means that there’s more space on 5G networks than there is on 4G networks.

We’ve probably all been in the situation where we’re somewhere really crowded, such as at a concert or sports game, and we realize that the internet on our phone is either really slow or doesn’t work at all.

The reason that happens is because too many connections are being made to a single cell tower, overloading it. The increased capacity of 5G, however, will allow us to continue to use our smartphone in busy places without noticing any connectivity issues.

The third benefit is increased speeds.

As we mentioned in part 1 of our 5G Open Course, the theoretical speed of 5G in the future will go all the way up to 20 Gbps.

To put this into perspective, the fastest internet connection available to most of us right now is 1 Gbps. And that’s if you’re lucky - most of us make do with home WiFi speeds of far less than that. So just imagine with 5G, the speed will be a whole lot faster than even the best home internet connections.

With 5G, it’ll take just a few seconds to download a 4K movie, or less than a minute to download an entire season of our favourite TV show. And once 5G rolls out fully, it'll be like having our entire country covered with ultra-fast WiFi, letting all sorts of smart devices be connected permanently.

What’s more, combined with its super-low latency and high capacity, a world of opportunities awaits us which is yet to be discovered. The 5G era is set to be the most exciting generation of mobile communications yet, and OnePlus is proud that we - and our community members - will be pioneers of it.

5G devices.jpg

Test your knowledge and be rewarded!

We hope you enjoyed the second part of our 5G Open Course series. Want to show us what you've learned? We've prepared a quick quiz for you. Any member who completes every 5G Open Course quiz will be awarded with an exclusive OnePlus 5G Scholar badge. What's more, if you're skilled enough to score 100% on every quiz in the series, you'll receive an awesome OnePlus 5G Scholar E-Certificate! Click here to take part. Clue: All the answers are contained in this post :cool:

Win a year's funding and a trip to OnePlus HQ

Don’t forget that if you have a great idea for an app that would take advantage of 5G, our 5G Apps of Tomorrow program is open now. The top five submissions will win a year’s funding, a OnePlus 5G device, and a trip to OnePlus HQ to meet the one and only @Pete! Click here for more details.

Never Settle

2. FlixbusLennart The Lab - OnePlus 6 Reviewer Mar 14, 2019

FlixbusLennart, Mar 14, 2019 :
    As exciting as this all sounds, will you guys also talk about the dangers and possible problems with 5G? I know it doesn't make sense for marketing posts like those to talk about negative sides. Still, I'd love to see an open, genuine discussion about the disadvantages as well.

Most sources against 5G make it out to be a technology that will doom our world, and the other extreme are companies that advertise it as the greatest thing to ever happen. Hard to find a good pro-con-discussion of this topic.

3. surendra91 Honeycomb Mar 14, 2019

4. GopalB. Marshmallow Mar 14, 2019

GopalB., Mar 14, 2019 :
    So is this one of those benefits??? [​IMG]
    http://www.5gappeal.eu/scientists-and-doctors-warn-of-potential-serious-health-effects-of-5g/

5. surendra91 Honeycomb Mar 14, 2019

6. GopalB. Marshmallow Mar 14, 2019

GopalB., Mar 14, 2019 :
    So no 5G for 6/6T???
    This is cheating!!! [​IMG]

7. meatandy Nougat Mar 14, 2019

meatandy, Mar 14, 2019 :
    I'll be back later to complete the quiz , seems like there's a lot of things going on at OnePlus the last week or so. :rolleyes:

buntycubal and G_plusone like this.
  8. otto2 KitKat Mar 14, 2019

otto2, Mar 14, 2019 :
    Same discussion as @FlixbusLennart started here we got 30 years ago, when the first GSM (2G) network started. All media were full of stories , how pulsed microwave radiation will make people sick etc...
    Now, 30 years later, we re using not only 700-800 MHz frequencies, but way higher frequencies. And what happened? Nothing happened.

9. FlixbusLennart The Lab - OnePlus 6 Reviewer Mar 14, 2019

FlixbusLennart, Mar 14, 2019 :
    There will always be doubt in new tech, which is a vital part of critical and self-controlled thinking. I'm trying not to bash 5G, as I am very excited for it myself, but I'm always trying to see as many sides to something as possible.

Saurav Subedi, Venky61, otto2 and 2 others like this.
  10. G_plusone Lollipop Mar 14, 2019

Last edited: Mar 14, 2019

YRJ likes this.
  11. YRJ KitKat Mar 14, 2019

YRJ, Mar 14, 2019 :
    What's the 4th answer? :p

G_plusone likes this.
  12. G_plusone Lollipop Mar 14, 2019

13. YRJ KitKat Mar 14, 2019

YRJ, Mar 14, 2019 :
    Tell me the answer, okay! :smirk:
    You edited your post, I have screen shots ;)

G_plusone likes this.
  14. G_plusone Lollipop Mar 14, 2019

G_plusone, Mar 14, 2019 :
    "Penultimate" is the key :rolleyes:.
    I have some interesting screenshots too

YRJ likes this.
  15. YRJ KitKat Mar 14, 2019

YRJ, Mar 14, 2019 :
    Don't tell!
    Talking of screenshots I have one ;)
    Screenshot_20190314-170356__01.jpg

G_plusone likes this.
  16. vincent.liu Eclair Mar 14, 2019

Vinaysalai likes this.
  17. MahaveerVaishnav Cupcake Mar 14, 2019

MahaveerVaishnav, Mar 14, 2019 :
    i agree with this because i have 6☹️☹️☹️

18. jhfernandez80 Gingerbread Mar 14, 2019

jhfernandez80, Mar 14, 2019 :
    Love this!
    Hope we get more news about 5G soon all over the world.

19. shezack Gingerbread Mar 14, 2019

shezack, Mar 14, 2019 :
    Hopefully Reliance Jio will bring it to India soon and at much cheaper prices than other operators.

20. Chirag.joshi Gingerbread Mar 14, 2019

Chirag.joshi, Mar 14, 2019 :
    Great read. I like that these articles come in series.

otto2 likes this.