OxygenOS Oneplus 5T Hydrogen OS to Oxygen OS (Searching)

1. Triu
    Froyo Dec 9, 2017

Triu , Dec 9, 2017 :
    So I searched a while on the forums and support, and I can't find anyone who's actually done this yet. I found one forum with instructions and a ROM but the ROM is hydrogen OS not Oxygen OS, and the download section of the website has no rom available for 5T. If anyone can get me in the right direction, or know if we are still waiting on this, please let me know, thanks.

2. F_Petrescu_Gabriel_HyOq
    Cupcake Jan 4, 2018

F_Petrescu_Gabriel_HyOq , Jan 4, 2018 :
    do your receive any information? i bought a oneplus 5t from china and i want to change the os from hydrogen to oxygen

3. Triu
    Froyo Jan 6, 2018

Triu , Jan 6, 2018 :
    Not yet, left it alone for a while been using my OP3 still since i don't plan to retire it anyways. Just getting back on to search for more information now. I did find out from the company the OS for the new one was not available at the time of my post, so maybe it's been uploaded now.

4. florincostescu
    Ice Cream Sandwich Jan 6, 2018

5. Triu
    Froyo Jan 21, 2018

Best Answer
    Triu , Jan 21, 2018 :
    Recently contacted them again and they said basically the same thing. Download the OS from the website move the zip onto the phone and install from recovery mode. Also anyone doing this if you have trouble logging into Google afterwards, ie getting stuck at checking info, launch into recovery mode reset cache, then reset phone from system settings, worked for me.

6. G_shaji_wahabuddin_zWaf
    Froyo Jan 24, 2018

G_shaji_wahabuddin_zWaf , Jan 24, 2018 :
    Hi there. I have been dying to buy the OP 5T sandstone white which at the moment seems to be available only in China. I've also been following many threads on how to convert H2OS into OOS in various forums. My question is... Is this really successful? Can I just go ahead and get the phone from China and then out of the box change the OS into Oxygen without any issues? What about OTA updates? Will I regularly receive android/software updates once I've made the jump to OOS or will it be complicated?

7. Triu
    Froyo Jan 24, 2018

Triu , Jan 24, 2018 :
    You can buy it from China, go to the support page on the website download the OS for oxygen OS for 5T. Then move the .zip onto the phone in the storage somewhere reboot the phone in recovery mode, up volume and power, and then just load the file from there, and that's it. If you have any trouble, which you shouldn't, message me or reply here and I'll get the link for the actual instructions, but it was really easy.

WunWoong likes this.
  8. Triu
    Froyo Jan 24, 2018

Triu , Jan 24, 2018 :
    Also since I didn't mention your other concern, it's the same as having native Oxygen OS, updates are normal, if I factory reset it's oxygen os. So go for it!

WunWoong likes this.
  9. WunWoong
    Cupcake Mar 8, 2018

WunWoong , Mar 8, 2018 :

which file on the download website should i use? the most recent one? the one on 2 March?

10. xxixx
    Honeycomb Mar 8, 2018

xxixx , Mar 8, 2018 :

WunWoong

which file on the download website should i use? the most recent one? the one on 2 March?​

yap, the most recent rom version. Remember to factory reset after switch to oxygen OS

Triu likes this.
  11. WunWoong
    Cupcake Mar 9, 2018

WunWoong , Mar 9, 2018 :

may i know why is that? why we have to factory reset after changing to oos?

also will a factory reset erase the oos rom?

also will ota updates be automatic as well after i change to oos?

also why some other ppl on this forum suggest to unlock bootloader and do stuff like sideload twrp or some sort? i have absolutely no idea about how to do that, is that necessary?

12. xxixx
    Honeycomb Mar 9, 2018

xxixx , Mar 9, 2018 :
    WunWoong

may i know why is that? why we have to factory reset after changing to oos?

also will a factory reset erase the oos rom?

also will ota updates be automatic as well after i change to oos?

also why some other ppl on this forum suggest to unlock bootloader and do stuff like sideload twrp or some sort? i have absolutely no idea about how to do that, is that necessary?

nb: I will talk about official roms (OOS and H2OS) and I'm sorry for my bad English.

H2OS and OOS have some difference: languages, gapps, etc. So if you dirty flash (switch between OOS and H2OS without reset) you'll get a lot of problems: heating, app crash, and a string over the screen: "illegal upgrade".
    Factory reset will erase all in your phone, but will not reset the rom or version of rom. and won't close the bootloader.
    After changing the rom you will receive OTAs normally (obviously if you have OOS you'll receive OOS OTAs, if h2os, h2os OTAs and if you'll be on beta, you will receive beta OTAs).
    If you don't know what is root, bootloader and other stuff, is categorically NOT recommended to unlock bootloader and get root permissions. Google about root.
    To sideload an official rom you don't need to unlock the bootloader.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2018

13. Triu
    Froyo Mar 10, 2018

Triu , Mar 10, 2018 :
    You don't need to worry about bootloading with OnePlus, they make it easy to change normally. After installing Oxygen OS, factory reset the phone as mentioned (Backup & Reset > Factory Data Reset > Reset Phone.) It is easy quick and will remove any lingering Hydrogen OS files, so don't worry, it won't put you back or cause any issues.

14. WunWoong
    Cupcake Mar 14, 2018

WunWoong , Mar 14, 2018 :

I really appreciate both of your answers.

I am quite nervous about it still. My phone should arrive tmr, first time flashing rom

i searched youtube videos and found below video best describe what you guys meant

would you guys mind telling me if this guy has done everything correctly? Is there any missing steps or wrong doings in this video? is it ok if i just follow him?

also, where in the phone should i put the downloaded zip ? is it anywhere?

15. Triu
    Froyo Mar 14, 2018

Triu , Mar 14, 2018 :
    I skimmed the video but it's a bit lengthy, it's really easy I promise. Doesn't matter where you put the zip I just put it into downloads. Just make sure you download it directly from the website and you'll be good.