OnePlus 5T official red silicone case - review

1. handheld_addict Honeycomb Nov 28, 2017

handheld_addict, Nov 28, 2017 :
    [​IMG]

I got this case when I ordered my OnePlus 5T.

Exterior has a soft rubber feel to it, very nice at first touch. Feels like the same material on the cover of my Dell 7000 Inspiron laptop.

[​IMG]

Interior is a felt, very soft material that feels really nice. Should protect the back from scratches inside case.

[​IMG]

The red case does add slightly more thickness compared to the stock included smoke TPU case. I am actually pleasantly surprised by the stock case quality, it's better than the OnePlus X stock case.

The red silicone adds slightly more bulk because the entire back of it rises above the camera bump. You'll see with other cases like the included one, it has a bit of a raised lip around the camera cutout. So the added thickness is very small. I like the beveled inside edge for the fingerprint cutout. Buttons are well fit and responsive. The alert slider is a bit tricky to access easily, I've found it to be difficult with all 3 cases: this one, stock included case & Karbon.

[​IMG]

But the big problem with the red silicone case, the deal breaker for me is it's a total lint/dust/hair magnet. I've never had a case literally attract so much dust & lint.

[​IMG]

This is only 10 minutes after putting it on.

And you really feel it when holding it. The silicone has a very soft touch feel that feels great when not covered in lint & hairs. But I have to clean it all the time. I even made a sticky pad using strips of packing tape that I can lay the case onto, but I'd need to do it all the time.

I also bought the Karbon bumper, which doesn't have any of the problems of the silicone case. But I do love/miss the red.

Overall, it's still a really nice looking case. But looks aren't the whole story. The feel is grippy. But be prepared to also feel a lot of collected grit & hairs during your use.

OnePlus 5T Karbon bumper case review

Tudia Merge case for OnePlus 5T review

Tudia Lucion Oneplus 5T case review

Gross bonus pic: my makeshift sticky pad to clean the case ;)

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 24, 2018

2. florincostescu Ice Cream Sandwich Nov 28, 2017

florincostescu, Nov 28, 2017 :
    It will crack at the middle of the power button, like mine did on OP5

It has a lack of texture there where the pressure is constant and frequent. Design issue. If it's the case, you have to be prepared for a long and annoying conversation withe the CS guys who will try to avoid replacement...

But it remains the best cover that OP has ever developed.

3. dcmcc24 KitKat Nov 28, 2017

dcmcc24, Nov 28, 2017 :
    That is sexy! Love the suede inside. Doesn't look like drop protection would be that good though.

4. handheld_addict Honeycomb Nov 28, 2017

I forgot to mention the raised lip around the front is very small, it barely comes up over the screen. That and the exposed bottom part are my 2 concerns about drop protection, otherwise I think it might be ok.

5. handheld_addict Honeycomb Nov 28, 2017

Thanks for your info, good to know. The buttons feel flexible, they feel like pure silicone so it doesn't seem like they'd crack? The back of this case is stiffer, however.

6. dcmcc24 KitKat Nov 28, 2017

dcmcc24, Nov 28, 2017 :
    Usually cases like that with open bottoms don't offer any true protection. The phone would probably pop out if it dropped. I like cases that wrap around the phone fully with a nice lip

handheld_addict likes this.
  7. handheld_addict Honeycomb Nov 28, 2017

That's a good point. I hope I don't find out firsthand ;)

dcmcc24 likes this.
  8. tictaktoe333 Gingerbread Dec 2, 2017

tictaktoe333, Dec 2, 2017 :
    I have the black TPU case and I have found that the case picked up loads of lint for the first like hour but then it kinda chilled out a bit and hasn't been so bad since. I think mine might have got a bit charged in shipping!

Great review by the way!

9. handheld_addict Honeycomb Dec 2, 2017

handheld_addict, Dec 2, 2017 :

Thanks. That's really interesting to know. I'm going to keep going back to my red to see if it gets less static-y.

tictaktoe333 likes this.
  10. AFROninjaHAWK Cupcake Dec 11, 2017

AFROninjaHAWK, Dec 11, 2017 :
    My silicone case on the OP5 has cracked and torn the rubber off all the buttons and started peeling at the edges. All it does is sit in my pocket or in my hands. Very disappointed in the quality.

Nxss4 likes this.
  11. W1nd Gingerbread Dec 11, 2017

W1nd, Dec 11, 2017 :
    I m also using red silicone case for my op t5 . This looking good but yeah its attracting little dust . I m confused should i return it ? And other part its red look girlish ? Heheh

12. handheld_addict Honeycomb Dec 11, 2017

handheld_addict, Dec 11, 2017 :
    Wow, that's bad. I think the is probably very similar to the OP5 red silicone case but I don't know for sure as I don't have a 5. What's under the rubber? Is it just a hard plastic?

13. AFROninjaHAWK Cupcake Dec 11, 2017

AFROninjaHAWK, Dec 11, 2017 :
    Yup. Just a hard plastic. Upon further inspection, It is cracked in several other places underneath the rubber. The plastic is so brittle that it breaks before it bends. The case is more fragile than the phone.

14. hodanajan Cupcake Mar 23, 2018

hodanajan, Mar 23, 2018 :
    Hey guys, just wanted to add me 2 cents.

My red silicone case started to disintegrate after less than 3 months of normal use. This happened mainly around the mode slider (the silicone cracked) and at the right bottom corner.

[​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

When I tried to solve this with OnePlus, I was told that this is normal wear and tear and warranty does not cover it. Seriously? 3 months and I can throw this 22 EUR case away?! Well, that means that this cover will cost you over 7 EUR for every month you use it. Great value, lol.

They refused to answer my question about what their expected lifetime for this case is. But of course I can see why.

So don't buy this cover. It looks great, but the quality is shit. Disappointing. My OP 5T is mostly great though.

15. handheld_addict Honeycomb Mar 23, 2018

handheld_addict, Mar 23, 2018 :
    Wow, that's bad. It does sound consistent with other reports of it cracking from other users. Thanks for the clear pics & info.

16. Nxss4 Froyo Oct 1, 2018

Nxss4, Oct 1, 2018 :
    Mine is broken all along one side, under the silicone, that means that it doesn't 'grip' around the phone anymore, thus making it useless.

Very disappointing for a 20€ case, 2 months of use and absolutely 0 drops