Display OnePlus 5T screen not responding to touch

1. amk43 Cupcake Feb 10, 2019

amk43, Feb 10, 2019 :
    After reading many threads about this issue, it seems to me that you have a chance to save your data only in one of the following cases:
    a) your phone is not password-protected
    b) your bootloader is unlocked
    or
    c) you have usb-debugging enabled (looks like it must be re-enabled after an update).

Using otg in recover as @jaimejimegon suggested will not work because recovery is password-protected as well.

2. adisanal Donut Feb 12, 2019

adisanal, Feb 12, 2019 :
    Same issue here as well.. Had Oneplus Oreo Beta installed a month back. It stopped working when I received a minor Beta upgrade... Took to service center and they formatted my device... Received Official Oreo OTA update and got the same installed. was working fine till yesterday night when I had kept my mobile on charging and I received a call, only to find that my screen is not responding.. Able to reboot and go to recovery mood using the hard keys but not able to use the touch panel.. Its about time someone start looking into this issue from Oneplus.. I cant keep loosing my photos, data and sms records every time

J1551881726862 likes this.
  3. zecasa Cupcake Feb 16, 2019

zecasa, Feb 16, 2019 :
    I have that same problem.
    when the phone was connected to the computer suddenly came,
    I am resetting the phone I don't use a lock key ,because
    I can't reset :D
    i will send to the service,the problem has increased.
    this problem repeats

4. dondeng Cupcake Feb 26, 2019

dondeng, Feb 26, 2019 :
    The crazy thing about this thread is that folks have been complaining about this for more than a year and not one comment from OnePlus at all. My OP5 has this problem and I'm at a loss. From someone who has owned nearly every OP phone this is so disappointing from One Plus..

5. archz2 Gingerbread Mar 3, 2019

archz2, Mar 3, 2019 :
    My phone's display stopped responding totally last night. I couldn't do anything. I turned off the screen by pressing the power button, waited for a while then it used to start functioning. This problem started occuring frequently in the last few weeks and I hadn't installed any new app. All the apps though kept updating automatically via Google Play store.

I searched the forums and found that I'm not the only one who has encountered this issue. You all are facing this!!!

I am on Oxygen OS 5.1.7. I was getting the Android Pie notification update and I kept ignoring it because I wanted to stay on Oreo 8.1.0

I booted into TWRP, attach my PC mouse to enter the PIN and go further, which I did. I wiped dalvic and cache, then rebooted only to get stuck in the same problem. My TWRP is blu_spark, 3.2.3-x version 8.83.

What should I do to get rid of this trouble totally?

Edit - I got into the homescreen. Phone working fine.

new separate thread posted here
    https://forums.oneplus.com/threads/battling-non-responsive-screens.1006307/

Last edited: Mar 3, 2019

6. G_Marcos_Matos_SqCL Cupcake Mar 11, 2019

G_Marcos_Matos_SqCL, Mar 11, 2019 :
    I'm having the same issue. It's a real pain in the rear. I almost lost a flight because I was about to board and had the tickets in the phone when it decided to flop on me.
    It's been about a month since it started and it became ever more frequent up to the point it just stopped working.
    I tried everything posted here to no avail.
    After factory reset and downgrade to 5.1.3 stable it worked for about 5 days and now I'm stuck again.

I'm lost.
    Should I say sad too.

Damn you OnePlus...

[​IMG]

7. formidible Froyo Mar 11, 2019

formidible, Mar 11, 2019 :
    Return the phone to where you bought it from with the receipt. Mine couldn't repair it for me but gave me a replacement 5T. It's still in my drawer as I bought the 6T with another two year warranty. The lesson I learnt was NEVER install a beta version again. Oneplus should not even be making beta versions of their OS. No one else does it. With the ability to downgrade back to stable now removed (without a complete format) owners who now install betas are just Guinea pigs for the company and are running a high risk of ending up with a damaged or bricked phone

8. archz2 Gingerbread Mar 11, 2019

archz2, Mar 11, 2019 :
    I think it's not about beta version installation. I never installed beta version on my phone yet the screen loses touch functionality all of a sudden.

9. formidible Froyo Mar 11, 2019

I'm certain it happened after I installed a beta version. It didn't happen straight away but a few weeks later. In any case always take it back from where you purchased and make sure you keep the receipt.

10. archz2 Gingerbread Mar 11, 2019

archz2, Mar 11, 2019 :
    Okay. I"m glad you got a replacement...

Actually I purchased mine from online..Amazon. I'll surely take it to the registered service centre. I never registered for beta upgrade. I always flashed a zip from TWRP as my phone has always been rooted. Is there a possibility that oneplus secretly loaded some beta crap on my phone resulting in screen issue?

11. formidible Froyo Mar 11, 2019

archz2

Okay. I"m glad you got a replacement...

Actually I purchased mine from online..Amazon. I'll surely take it to the registered service centre. I never registered for beta upgrade. I always flashed a zip from TWRP as my phone has always been rooted. Is there a possibility that oneplus secretly loaded some beta crap on my phone resulting in screen issue?

I never unroot. It exposes the core to stuff you don't want as well as stuff you do. Not sure if it also invalidates the warranty so don't tell them its unrooted

archz2 likes this.
  12. archz2 Gingerbread Mar 11, 2019

archz2, Mar 11, 2019 :
    Hey. Did you get it resolved or got RMA? I'm facing this issue once in a day now...

13. blaineeasy Cupcake Mar 11, 2019

blaineeasy, Mar 11, 2019 :
    Definite issue with OnePlus5TOxygen_43_1807181258 update. OnePlus 5T took the update and on reboot, touch screen was fully non-responsive. Only response was from touching the top and seeing the "Pocket Mode" screen. Tried booting into recovery, could not enter swipe password to open recovery because screen was non-responsive.

I know it is an issue with the update because I used OnePlus Brick MSM tool to restore the phone to factory settings. Phone screen started working as soon as it was back to stock. The update announced it wanted to install, so I let it... touch screen immediately stopped working again.

If your phone recently took an update, it may not be hardware related. I was going to send my phone in for repair but decided to try the MSM tool first. I hope OnePlus has a way to address this issue. I'm going to MSM tool it again and then turn off updates.

Edit: a few reboots seemed to have fixed the issue. I'm still pretty confident there is something wrong with the software, but haven't figured it out yet. Basically living in fear that it might happen again.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2019

14. archz2 Gingerbread Mar 11, 2019

archz2, Mar 11, 2019 :
    What version of Android this 1807....update has?

15. blaineeasy Cupcake Mar 11, 2019

blaineeasy, Mar 11, 2019 :
    Okay, I take it back.... a reboot fixed the screen this time. Still very strange.

16. G_Marcos_Matos_SqCL Cupcake Mar 11, 2019

I bought it in the oficial oneplus online store while traveling to the US. I cannot take it back there and my country has no OnePlus support.
    I should say I knew the risk I was taking with broken screens and stuff but I consider myself pretty careful with my devices so I didn't care much. What never occured to me is that my phone could become completely useless out of no fault of my own because of a freaking software bug.

As someone else pointed here I don't think it's related to the beta os. I did a complete wipe and factory restore to a version previous to the beta en the problem persisted.
    This is something far more grotesque.

17. G_Marcos_Matos_SqCL Cupcake Mar 11, 2019

I used the MSM tool and didn't install the update after; It worked for almost a week and now it's bricked again.
    For my experience sometimes rebooting and cache wiping solves it but inevitably it comes back to the full brick mode.

I'm about to try MSM again. I've read someone got it working after about 5 tries.
    I gotta try, right? Short of tossing this s**t out of the window and buying a god damn samsung, what else can I do?

18. fullrotor Cupcake Mar 12, 2019

fullrotor, Mar 12, 2019 :
    Multiple threads about the 5 and 5T with non-working touch screens, and seemingly no help from OnePlus. This is so disappointing. I've been a customer since the One but now, 14 months after I bought my 5T it came off of charging with a non-working touch screen and I just got email from their repair saying it's (like everyone reports) a bad board and $307 to fix it. How is this not a recall issue? Hundreds of people chiming in with the same problem and all being asked to pay about what the phone is worth on the secondary market to even get it working. I can't see throwing that much money after a phone two models ago which might end up having the same problem in a few months judging from some of the threads here. Anyone gotten better resolution than this to this problem?

19. Tyson_Ashma Cupcake Mar 12, 2019

Tyson_Ashma, Mar 12, 2019 :

20. Tyson_Ashma Cupcake Mar 12, 2019

Tyson_Ashma, Mar 12, 2019 :
    Hi, I too am suffering with the same issue the screen stopped suddenly without dropping it any were on hard surface or in water, now the service center people ask me to replace the motherboard in 75% of net Worth of complete 5t.
    This OnePlus brand sucks its been 13 months only for my purchase of that phone in 39,999 Indian Rupee.

One plus and its manufactured products Sucks, they are not at all worth of the MRP.
    Its too disappointing.
    I will suggest anyone not to buy it.