Display OnePlus 5T screen not responding to touch

1. blaineeasy
    Cupcake Apr 28, 2019

blaineeasy , Apr 28, 2019 :
    same issue happened again overnight - coincidentally i'm reading that last night OnePlus was rolling out 9.0.5 updates starting yesterday. i had auto updates turned off but screen still totally unresponsive. after this happened last time, i enabled usb debugging and was able to use Vysor this morning to backup data. doing the unbrick method now.

i was shocked when it worked the first time, and willing to consider it a software glitch - but now i'm having a hard time not considering this to be a software problem that is initiated by the OnePlus OTA update process, or at the very least - a still unidentified problem with 5T's and OxygenOS.

the previously mentioned unbrick method can be found here (How To Unbrick Oneplus 5T [Step By Step Easiest Method] - Redmi 5A Giveaway):

the unbrick method worked perfectly - but of course it does remove all data from the phone.

i tried using the OnePlus Switch application to backup and restore data - its not working though. i moved the directory to the location OnePlus Switch recommends and it doesn't show that set of files as an option in the app.

so i'm using the backed up data from google, but this whole process is still a pain. am i the only one?

2. G_Stuart_Ower_lwaT
    Cupcake May 2, 2019

G_Stuart_Ower_lwaT , May 2, 2019 :
    Hi all. I also have a 5T with a non-functioning screen (through my own stupidity and dropping it) and I unfortunately don't have USB Debugging or OTG enabled - Is there any way I can save my data or am I just going to have to take the hit and send it off to be wiped? Any suggestions appreciated!!! Thanks

3. blaineeasy
    Cupcake May 3, 2019

blaineeasy , May 3, 2019 :
    Check my post directly above yours - there is a way to wipe the phone on your own without sending it away, if your screen is unresponsive - at your own risk of course but its worked several times for me. only way i can think of you to save your data would be to connect to a PC via USB and hope that the file sharing mode enables.

my 5T again became unresponsive today after it downloaded the most recent update. thankfully i had usb debugging enabled, used Vysor to connect to the phone, and let the phone take the update - responsiveness came back after the updated installed.

4. HMMurdock
    Cupcake May 27, 2019

HMMurdock , May 27, 2019 :
    Someone found a permanent solution? I read the entire thread and it seems no logic at all. How it is possible after a wipe or a clean software update the touch work for some days and stop again?

Nbrewer92 likes this.
  5. F1519755341770
    Cupcake May 28, 2019

F1519755341770 , May 28, 2019 :
    Same silly problem here. I haven't done anything to my phone, was working normally and put it to seat next to my leg and after it stopped and never worked again. tried rebooting several times, tried fastboot and recovery mode and no luck. i tried usb mouse but again no chance.

I have bought my phone at USA and now i'm in Turkey, so don't have service in here. So what can i do? lets say somehow i send my phone back to USA, i was wondering if they fix my phone for free(my warranty expired). is there anybody faced this problem after warranty period.

6. techieruss
    Cupcake May 30, 2019

techieruss , May 30, 2019 :
    ok. same thing happened again. twice today. and I see a pattern.

both times I was watching video full screen, (YouTube the first time and adult swim the second). the phone was plugged in with the OnePlus dash charger and I switched the phone off while video was still playing. the way I got it to work again was to disconnect and reconnect the display connector I mentioned in my previous post. I did not have to restart the phone. just disconnected and reconnected the display.
    so the issue must be with the firmware on the display. I hope there is a way OnePlus can address this with an update.

7. F1519755341770
    Cupcake May 31, 2019

F1519755341770 , May 31, 2019 :
    sorry if i missed but i wonder, have you tried your touch in recovery mode when it was not responding within your pattern? i'm asking to understand if my problem is the same with yours cause i was not watching video in fullscreen etc. it just happened to me out of nowhere.

8. techieruss
    Cupcake May 31, 2019

techieruss , May 31, 2019 :
    was not responding in recovery.

F1519755341770 likes this.
  9. HMMurdock
    Cupcake Jun 6, 2019

HMMurdock , Jun 6, 2019 :
    I noticed one strange thing happening. The problem only occurs when I'm with WiFi turned on. One particular case is when I'm downloading my WhatsApp backup, and enter in file manager, the touch immediately froze. If I turn off my internet modem, the touch returns to live imediately.
    Some idea?

10. techieruss
    Cupcake Jun 6, 2019

techieruss , Jun 6, 2019 :
    how are you turning off the wifi without touch?

11. HMMurdock
    Cupcake Jun 6, 2019

HMMurdock , Jun 6, 2019 :
    Manually. I take the router out of the socket.

12. jwnelson0513
    Cupcake Dec 29, 2019

jwnelson0513 , Dec 29, 2019 :
    Almost made it to 2 years and now having the same problem. Screen started becoming unresponsive on and off, reboot usually helped, now after about 2 months of the screen going unresponsive intermittently it seems like its done for good. Dozens of reboots, tried resetting and nothing, no bad drops, not water damage, etc. Pretty disappointing, and the lack of support\response about this obvious manufacturing defect makes it pretty easy to decide not to got back to a oneplus device.

Nbrewer92 likes this.
  13. archz2
    Gingerbread Jan 5, 2020

archz2 , Jan 5, 2020 :
    Wow! That's pretty risky thing you've done! Have you faced any issues ever since ? I started facing non responsive screen again after probably a gap of 6-7 months or so.

14. archz2
    Gingerbread Jan 13, 2020

archz2 , Jan 13, 2020 :
    Posting series of events that I faced regarding touchscreen issue.

11th January 2020 - my phone gets bricked. Only booting in fastboot mode. Can't unlock in TWRP because it won't accept my pin, neither 'default_password' most probably as I deleted some .key files in system.

12th January 2020 - MSM tool keeps doing param communication for 15 minutes before I lose my patience. Before that I was getting common Sahara communication error. I do a force full wipe using tool all in one (made by Mauronofrio) in fastboot mode. Then flash TWRP then Oxygen stock Oxygen OS 9.0.10 via OTG usb drive as ADB sideload wasn't functional. I boot to system.

Then boot to recovery, flash Magisk, boot to system, then flashing rirucore via Magisk, reboot, installing edxposed via magisk, reboot, then installing gravitybox, reboot, then other apps on my phone.

Touchscreen stops responding in evening during dash charge. Reboot solves the issue. Then touchscreen stops responding when phone vibrates during alarm. Forced shutdown and restart solves the issue.

13th January 2020 - No problem during the day. . Touchscreen stops responding during whatsapp chat in evening. Forced restart doesn't help. I boot in TWRP. Touchscreen not working. I use a mouse connected via OTG, type my four digit pin ,wipe cache, dalvic. Reboot. Touchscreen normal. No problem during dash charging.

I faced non-responsive touchscreen before in May 2019 or June 2019. After making 7GB storage space in my phone the problem went away for 6 months. I was on Oxygen OS 5.1.7, Oreo 8.1.0, rooted with magisk and exposed installed.

I started facing this problem in evening in December 2019 after I lent my colleague my dash charger to charge his Oneplus 5 phone at office during the day.

15. archz2
    Gingerbread Jan 13, 2020

archz2 , Jan 13, 2020 :
    You're not alone. OnePlus corporation has manufactured faulty OnePlus 5T devices. This forum is filled with many people facing touchscreen problems. I hope none of them had any physical damage to the touchscreen.

Does it work for you in recovery mode?

Same here. I used usb mouse to wipe cache and dalvic

My touch stopped responding while I was chatting on Whatsapp using wifi. Didn't try switching off the wi-fi.

16. archz2
    Gingerbread Jan 27, 2020

archz2 , Jan 27, 2020 :
    Faced a lot of trouble in last few days. Once I flashed affinity kernel in TWRP using mouse ,but still got stuck with non-responsive screen. Then I flashed it again. Screen started responding again after reboot.

A day went by normally. Then, next day, the trouble came again. Old trick of flashing affinity kernel didn't work.

Dirty flashed the stock Oxygen OS 9.0.10 using TWRP. Back to normal functioning of the screen.

Today screen froze again. Rebooted and now back to normal.

17. Nbrewer92
    Cupcake Feb 4, 2020

Nbrewer92 , Feb 4, 2020 :

I have been trying for 2 months to get them to fix this problem as it is their fault not mine and they haven't even provided me an RMA.

18. archz2
    Gingerbread Feb 10, 2020

archz2 , Feb 10, 2020 :
    How come that your phone is in warranty?

19. G_Eulin_Stilou_NMFX
    Cupcake Feb 22, 2020

20. F1519755341770
    Cupcake Mar 26, 2020

F1519755341770 , Mar 26, 2020 :
    Folks here is what i found i guess. I'm sharing this for anybody who wants to try. I have used OOS 5.1.3 flashed with MSM Tool after this problem occured(cause in OOS9 touch screen was freezing permanently). Sometimes i was facing some weird touch responses(like while i was writing on Whatsapp, suddenly phone was going to homescreen and opening a program which has a shortcut at the lower part of screen) and sometimes touch screen was freezing again but restart solved everytime on OOS 5.1.3.

So a couple of days before, i tried to to enable "show touches" feature. After using a while (3-4days) with "show touches", I comprehend that the weird acting of touchscreen i mentioned above hasn't repeated at all. Now I'm trying same thing with custom ROM(pixel experience). Let's see if it works in the same way. I will inform you guys in future.