OnePlus 5T: Unlock Bootloader | Flash TWRP | Root | Nandroid & EFS !!

1. pappyj Cupcake Dec 29, 2018

pappyj, Dec 29, 2018 :
    kindly see the option am talking about in the blue ink in the image:

upload_2018-12-29_8-3-39.png

What i want to achieve is to install boot.img from here according to : https://forum.xda-developers.com/android/general/guide-fuss-guide-to-rooting-mediatek-t3869774

2. loco-cork Gingerbread Dec 29, 2018

loco-cork, Dec 29, 2018 :
    That 'Install' button is always there. You can use it for example to install newer version of Magisk.
    As for the rest of your question, I have no idea what you want to do. That link you provided is for Mediatek devices. You have OnePlus device, which is Snapdragon and since you have Magisk ... you are rooted now.

3. pappyj Cupcake Dec 29, 2018

4. saurabhcfp Eclair Jan 30, 2019

saurabhcfp, Jan 30, 2019 :
    will this method also work for one plus 5T on 9.0.3.....Also once rooted will I be able to lock the LTE band on my phone.....if yes how to go about it.....any suggestions would be highly appreciated

5. UmairBhayat Froyo Jan 30, 2019

UmairBhayat, Jan 30, 2019 :
    The method is the same - just make sure you use the latest version of twrp.
    I'm not sure about the LTE thing

saurabhcfp likes this.
  6. saurabhcfp Eclair Jan 30, 2019

thanks for your reply ...will twrp 3.2.3-1 will work for 9.0.1....and what about disbling DM Verity and forced encryption on Android pie

7. Hydra Bob Starting Point Expert Jan 30, 2019

Hydra Bob, Jan 30, 2019 :
    Why do you want to do that? Are you someone who frequently switches between custom ROMs?

saurabhcfp likes this.
  8. saurabhcfp Eclair Jan 30, 2019

thanks for your reply.....I will not be installing any custom ROM....I will use OOS only.....I'm rooting just to install network guru app which requires root access to lock LTE bands .....So would I still need to disable DM Verity and forced encryption....lastly will twrp 3.2.3-1 work for rooting one plus 5t on 9.0.3???

9. Hydra Bob Starting Point Expert Jan 30, 2019

Hydra Bob, Jan 30, 2019 :
    Encryption and verity shouldn't have any effect on network band locking and your phone would be more secure if you left those features intact. And yes that version of TWRP should be compatible but my personal recommendation is the latest bluspark TWRP.

saurabhcfp likes this.
  10. saurabhcfp Eclair Jan 31, 2019

saurabhcfp, Jan 31, 2019 :
    thanks for your reply....so as per you it is not required to disable DM Verity and force encryption...can you tell me that why you prefer bluspark over standard twrp.....

11. saurabhcfp Eclair Jan 31, 2019

saurabhcfp, Jan 31, 2019 :
    can you pls give the link for latest bluspark twrp for one plus 5T for 9.0.3

12. PokiX Jelly Bean Feb 1, 2019

PokiX, Feb 1, 2019 :
    You don't need that indeed but anyway Magisk will by default disable verity, allowing system changes which you don't need and leave force encryption (you don't really care unless decrypted). So just install Magisk and leave default settings.
    As for Blu spark probably people got used to it while original twrp failed for months due to lack of maintainer (last problem we're about decryption). Meanwhile, codeworkx (unofficial LOS maintainer) has been maintaining a 3rd (working) recovery and actually pushed in December his modifications to official twrp.
    So official twrp should be fine again. But still lack a maintainer...
    I tried both blu and original and they work fine.

saurabhcfp likes this.
  13. saurabhcfp Eclair Feb 1, 2019

saurabhcfp, Feb 1, 2019 :
    thanks for your reply..can you send the link for bluspark twrp for one plus 5T....I searched for it and could nt find it

14. PokiX Jelly Bean Feb 1, 2019

saurabhcfp likes this.
  15. saurabhcfp Eclair Feb 3, 2019

16. PokiX Jelly Bean Feb 4, 2019

PokiX, Feb 4, 2019 :
    saurabhcfp

thanks for you reply...I was able to successfully Flash blu_work twrp and install magisk.....can you please tell me that now my rooted phone will recieve which OTA update....stable Or beta OOS

The updater will propose you OTA of your channel (stable OTA if you're on stable or beta if on beta). This is unchanged.
    It will detect your bootloader is unlocked so you'll only get full OTA (and not incremental as your /system might be modified which is only visible from the recovery). But if you still have twrp, once rebooted this will fail (due to interface incompatibility between twrp and stock recovery).
    OTA and twrp don't go together.
    So either you maintain/reinstall custom recovery to make the OTA work or you install the full zip manually from within twrp. I do the latter.

saurabhcfp likes this.
  17. saurabhcfp Eclair Feb 7, 2019

saurabhcfp, Feb 7, 2019 :
    so you mean that after I download the lastest OTA, I should reboot to Twrp and then install OTA from within Twrp and then reboot ...am I getting you correct??...if yes , will this method keep my data on phone intact or will it delete it

18. PokiX Jelly Bean Feb 7, 2019

PokiX, Feb 7, 2019 :
    Yes. If you want to keep twrp, after installing the OTA (and before rebooting to system), make sure to install something to disable verity and give access or overlayed access to /system. For example : reboot to twrp, install OTA, install Magisk , Reboot to system.
    There are a lot of other ways, that's the most common one.

No userdata nor application settings should be harmed in the process ahah. But it could all fail so you'll be happy to have backups

saurabhcfp likes this.
  19. saurabhcfp Eclair Feb 8, 2019

saurabhcfp, Feb 8, 2019 :
    thanks for your reply....it is now crystal clear

20. DoKaTSuYa Donut Feb 10, 2019

DoKaTSuYa, Feb 10, 2019 :
    Hello, I'm a noob in rooting phone, I want to root just to install Magisk so I can use Gcam without dots and with front camera,

Where can I fin a tuto to explain how I can install it step by step ?

If possible I don't want a ROM, I just want stock Oxygen OS with Gcam without dots.

PS: I don't want to loose Face Unlock or Fingerprint sensor, and I'm on 9.0.3 so I need the last unlock bootloader method

Thanks in advance.