OnePlus 6 camera takes blurry and noisy pictures

?

Are you having issues with OnePlus 6 camera as described in this thread?

1. Yes, I am having issues with camera taking blurry, noisy, and highly post processed pictures

89.9%
  2. No, I am not having any issue with camera

10.1%
  1. hemant.modi
    Cupcake Jul 4, 2018

01baftb likes this.
  2. cybreed
    Honeycomb Jul 5, 2018

cybreed , Jul 5, 2018 :
    for sure, but I wonder if the 1.7/f has such big impact. Even slight angle will cause blurriness

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

these two tries felt like there was motion blur. But its seems to be selective. the glass looks decently sharp, the middle of the ice looks decent also.. but surrounding it? could it be the OIS ? could it be post processing ?

maybe im just really bad at taking photos.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2018

01baftb and JubaL_VW like this.
  3. 01baftb
    Gingerbread Jul 5, 2018

01baftb , Jul 5, 2018 :
    Was the live preview in focus and clear before taking the shot in those pictures? From my experience, any super close up pictures I try to take (macro), live preview will show it is NOT in focus. Thus you can be confident that if live preview says it's NOT in focus then the actual photo will NOT be in focus. This is the case for all cameras.

4. Bouncer71
    OnePlus 7 Pro Sample Shot Photographer Jul 5, 2018

Bouncer71 , Jul 5, 2018 :
    Thanks very much for the original files...!
    The exif info paints a pretty clear picture...
    The iPhone has a better sensor, lenses and camera software...
    Extremely low ISO in comparison to the OP6..
    example 1:
    Op6 :1/25 @ ISO 640
    iP6: 1/15 @ ISO 250
    example 2:
    OP6: 1/50 @ ISO 400
    iP6: 1/30 @ ISO 50 :eek:
    example 3:
    OP6: 1/50 @ ISO 320
    iP6: 1/30 @ ISO 40 :eek:
    example 4:
    OP6:1/50 @ ISO 400
    iP6: 1/30 @ ISO 50 :eek:
    example 5:
    OP6:1/33 @ ISO 640
    iP6: 1/30 @ ISO 125

No wonder the clarity and sharpness is better...

As for focus testing I would suggest you go with the tutorial you linked...
    Use a tripod, set manual ISO to 100, and tab to focus ( is still an autofocus mode) to eliminate differences cause of sensor sensitivity and motion compensation...

Cheers mate...
    :)

Discostu, otto2, script and 2 others like this.
  5. 01baftb
    Gingerbread Jul 5, 2018

01baftb , Jul 5, 2018 :
    Great observation. Although you do make a good point, I beg to differ. I think the issue I am reporting is far more complex and can't be validated with a slight difference in ISO and shutter speed value.

I do agree that OP6 and iP6 have different ISO/shutter speed for the picture comparison. However, these values are NOT significantly different (ex: they're not 2-3 orders of magnitude different). In addition, each of these pictures in the comparison were taken on two different phones, and a slight variation in ISO/Shutter speed is expected especially when there is a slight change in position (distance/angle) from the subject being capture. In my thread I have outlined my test method to minimize position variation but these variations are not 0. It is impossible to make it 0 even with a tripod. I don't want to brag but I feel I have done a better job at minimizing position variation for camera comparison compared to what OnePlus has done in their Flagship Camera Comparison: Let's Do a Blind Test! post.

In addition, the variation in ISO/shutter speed does NOT justify the blurry and out of focus pictures. The live preview clearly shows the subject is in focus but after clicking the shot the image is blurry.

sohel.mandal and G_SATISH_YADAV like this.
  6. Chriskob
    Donut Jul 5, 2018

Chriskob , Jul 5, 2018 :
    This needs to be looked at by oneplus quickly. The huawei phones are starting to look more attractive then the OnePlus Phones.

neil.pegram likes this.
  7. Chriskob
    Donut Jul 5, 2018

Chriskob , Jul 5, 2018 :
    Your pictures are not clear at all.

8. Bouncer71
    OnePlus 7 Pro Sample Shot Photographer Jul 5, 2018

Bouncer71 , Jul 5, 2018 :
    you've done a great job...!
    no question...!

But those are all huge differences in ISO..
    hence less grain, clearer photos...
    I mean ISO 50 against 400....
    that's a neat sensor... 8O

I also suggested at the "Blind Test" that they should use a tripod or at least try to get the same framing...
    you did a way better job than they did...!!
    almost perfect I might say...!
    8D

As for the Auto focus test in general...
    Firing up a camera and just take the shot is not a good idea...
    You don't know what you'll get...

That's why the linked tutorial recommends shooting in RAW with a tripod, manual mode except Focus, etc...
    It's pretty precise on that at point 3. "Camera setup"...

You've proven that the image quality of the OP6 is not as good as the iP6 , but not that it is a focus issue...
    That's all I'm saying...
    ;)

PS.:
    my experience with the Auto Focus and image quality of the OP stock camera App are also not the best, although it got better with the latest update...
    that's one reason why I use other apps...
    some do a better job some don't...
    but always tab to focus when on auto...
    ;)

9. dheeru08r
    Donut Jul 6, 2018

dheeru08r , Jul 6, 2018 :
    I'm also experiencing same issue But can't see a way to fix this. I'm also waiting for June security patch updates even Google is about to announce July security patch updates.

if this is the behavior then I would rather prefer to return the device and look for another options.

10. cybreed
    Honeycomb Jul 6, 2018

cybreed , Jul 6, 2018 :
    [​IMG]

check out the right edge of the ruler, fuzzy. I was confirming the logo misalignment on my karbon case LOL

neil.pegram and Taylz2100 like this.
  11. sman786
    Donut Jul 6, 2018

sman786 , Jul 6, 2018 :
    Sometimes clearing cache while boot helps alot. try this... even for battery drain should try this..

12. chiribauradu
    Gingerbread Jul 6, 2018

chiribauradu , Jul 6, 2018 :
    This is very true! I took a photo of my ID Card and it's focusing on a point and 35% of the photo is blurry and tried in other scenes and the same result. The camera needs to be updated for sure...

R1530620330308 likes this.
  13. J1530588511437
    Cupcake Jul 6, 2018

J1530588511437 , Jul 6, 2018 :
    I have the same issue with camera..it is software related. requires a major update please...the phone otherwise is amazing..

Damonp87, R1530620330308 and bigsport like this.
  14. hassan987
    Gingerbread Jul 6, 2018

hassan987 , Jul 6, 2018 :
    Nice thread! Without opening the original images I already know that oneplus would be shooting much higher(wrong) ISO than iPhone. The resulting overbright/overexposed raw image will then be darkened by the image processor, causing noise and bad quality.

M1537939641491 likes this.
  15. hassan987
    Gingerbread Jul 6, 2018

agree 100%

Bouncer71 likes this.
  16. hassan987
    Gingerbread Jul 6, 2018

Every time ISO figure doubles, it means double the capture brightness.
    Every time F-number decreases by 1, it means double the capture brightness.

Do not forget iPhone has an f/2.2 lens vs OP f/1.7

As you can see OP is overexposing the image in ORDERS OF MAGNITUDE

For this reason you can also check that EXIF data will show -ve brightness for all oneplus images. because they are so bright the ISP has to darken them.

That it why its a noisy exposure leading to a noisy result.

Damonp87, otto2 and Bouncer71 like this.
  17. hassan987
    Gingerbread Jul 6, 2018

18. extsudhir
    Gingerbread Jul 6, 2018

19. hassan987
    Gingerbread Jul 6, 2018

Please pay attention to "brightness value" in screenshots posted above. It is always -3.16 for oneplus which means all images are shot bright and then darkened by the ISP.
    I made a bug report about incorrect exposure and got the response that "our ISP and sensor works with wrong exposure values, its not a bug."

No person on earth can fix a photo in post processing if the original exposure is wrong. Oneplus camera selects the wrong ISO and shutter speed leading to a ORDERS OF MAGNITUDE overexposed image followed by darkening to fix the results.

iPhone and every other renowned flagship such as Galaxy S or Pixel use correct exposure or else UNDEREXPOSE followed by +ve brightness value as you can see in ALL the photos posted above. This leads to less noise.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2018

20. hassan987
    Gingerbread Jul 6, 2018

I submitted similar evidence to OnePlus in a bug report and told them as long as they keep ignoring this problem, their camera result will look pathetic compared to iPhone, Pixel, Galaxy S and others.

You simply CANNOT get good results with WRONG exposure settings.