OnePlus 6 camera takes blurry and noisy pictures

?

Are you having issues with OnePlus 6 camera as described in this thread?

1. Yes, I am having issues with camera taking blurry, noisy, and highly post processed pictures

89.9%
  2. No, I am not having any issue with camera

10.1%
  1. 01baftb
    Gingerbread Aug 19, 2018

01baftb , Aug 19, 2018 :
    Hi all,

OP has released Oxygen OS 5.1.11. It seems from the changelog that there are no major updates to Camera other than to HDR. I am still curious to know if all the issues I have reported in this thread still exist on the new OS 5.1.11 update. I have outlined detailed method on how to do the same tests as I have done in the main thread. Whenever you guys update to OOS 5.1.11, I ask that you check if issues still persist.

How to test if your OnePlus 6 Camera has issues? Repeat Example 3, 4 or 8 as I have shown in the main thread. The reason I ask you guys to repeat the same test as I have is to ensure we are all consistent and we can confidently convey to OnePlus that the reported blurry/noisy issues are not an isolated incident and in fact many people are facing it.

Some of you have attached "dynamic" pictures (buildings, flowers, outdoor garden, etc...) showing the blurry/noisy issue However, I feel "dynamic" pictures are very subjective and a lot of users will have different opinions. Thus I propose sticking to a standard static and simple picture as I have outlined in the main thread. I suggested you do the following:
    If you find that you're facing the same issues as myself of having blurry and noisy pictures, make sure to submit a Bug Report and file a complaint to OnePlus which includes example pictures to convey the issues.

Note: You may compare pictures with gcam but in my opinion it does not mean anything. Gcam is in beta and is NOT officially supported by OP, thus OP don't care about the quality of pictures you get with gcam.

Bouncer71 and MetalSir like this.
  2. MADMAC05
    Froyo Aug 19, 2018

MADMAC05 , Aug 19, 2018 :
    Hi there. jus a note on your note although OP does not support or care about GCam, the fact that it actually takes much better pictures, even while still on beta, gives us hope and kinda proves that the hardware is not at fault here.
    Thanks for your extensive analysis on the cam!!

Last edited: Aug 19, 2018

01baftb likes this.
  3. MetalSir
    Honeycomb Aug 19, 2018

MetalSir , Aug 19, 2018 :
    torrow I'll repeat the tests.
    I'm almost sure that all the camera problems showed in this thread are due to HDR algorithm messing up everything.

in these days I'm making comparisons between shoots with HDR ON and with HDR OFF. almost every comparison shows that NON HDR photos are totally free from defocused patches, fuzziness and much lower oily effect.

I'll show you something tomorrow. I'll repeat your tests but since I'm quite convinced on what I wrote above, I'll AVOID the AUTO HDR. I'll do the same testing with and without HDR. Just to make sure what's really going on. I can't test the behaviour of an engine that I really don't know if is running or not HDR algorithm.

this said, there's any way to understand if a photo is made with HDR on/off after the shooting? tks

01baftb likes this.
  4. Bouncer71
    OnePlus 7 Pro Sample Shot Photographer Aug 19, 2018

Bouncer71 , Aug 19, 2018 :
    Good Tut... 8D
    Bud still...
    The article you got your testing procedure form recommends shooting at ISO 100...
    And tab or not doesn´t matter, it´s both auto-focus....
    Plus I´d recommend printing on some heavy paper so the printout won´t bend, like in the example...
    I got some Adobe test-patterns printed at a local store on 300g/m² paper for lens-calibration profiling...
    Or tape it flat on a surface so there´s less perspective distortion...

Cheers mate... ;D

01baftb likes this.
  5. MetalSir
    Honeycomb Aug 20, 2018

MetalSir , Aug 20, 2018 :
    here my tests: https://imgur.com/a/qmooodn

results are terrible to me. just a quick preview below

1534753346900.jpg

1534753347073.jpg

1534753347247.jpg

1534753347433.jpg

1534753347623.jpg

disgusting.

01baftb likes this.
  6. nabbed
    Honeycomb Aug 20, 2018

7. MetalSir
    Honeycomb Aug 20, 2018

I have 5 more days to send it back to Amazon.. man this is annoying.

01baftb likes this.
  8. nabbed
    Honeycomb Aug 20, 2018

nabbed , Aug 20, 2018 :
    I know you deeply care about the camera quality. So I suggest you send it back, because my own test showed that nonuniform focus must be a fault in the optics. On the other hand, you could have just moved your hand slightly to upset the focus of your shots. Who knows.

At the same time, Samsung S9 is an excellent phone. Even brilliant! And the Samsung website sometimes offers up to $200 discount deals. That brings it in the same price range as OP6. Clearly, S9 camera and camera software are far superior to what OP6 has.

I just love my Silk White OP6, looks so good:)
    Especially now that I have the Rhinoshield bumper case. The best look for any phone in my decade old experience.

9. MetalSir
    Honeycomb Aug 20, 2018

do you think that another op could be better? I can repeat my tests but I mean.. I did 10 shots.. I can honestly think that someone could be defocused because of my hand moving, I'm not a machine, but all them?

10. nabbed
    Honeycomb Aug 20, 2018

11. MetalSir
    Honeycomb Aug 20, 2018

12. nabbed
    Honeycomb Aug 20, 2018

nabbed , Aug 20, 2018 :
    I was shooting with a 40W light bulb lighting.
    Pretty decent considering.
    Also, I had a second person pressing the shutter button while I was holding the phone steady.
    These phones have such tiny lenses, even a small tremor in the hand can make things out of focus.

13. MetalSir
    Honeycomb Aug 20, 2018

LMAO. So you are saying that whenever camera is not a masterpiece in this device and provides (quite) blurry photos, mine is definitely broken.

14. nabbed
    Honeycomb Aug 20, 2018

15. srinivas0301
    Ice Cream Sandwich Aug 20, 2018

16. nabbed
    Honeycomb Aug 20, 2018

17. MetalSir
    Honeycomb Aug 20, 2018

to be honest difference between your op and GS9 is not appreciable. I can try to repeat my test.. can you provide a comparison between op and s9 of test n3? it's painful for my camera.

18. srinivas0301
    Ice Cream Sandwich Aug 20, 2018

19. nabbed
    Honeycomb Aug 20, 2018

nabbed , Aug 20, 2018 :
    I am only asking because you seem to have made an off-hand comment in this hotly debated topic thread.
    Mr. X, what are your thoughts on the OP6 camera and its issues?

20. MetalSir
    Honeycomb Aug 20, 2018