OnePlus 6 camera takes blurry and noisy pictures

?

Are you having issues with OnePlus 6 camera as described in this thread?

1. Yes, I am having issues with camera taking blurry, noisy, and highly post processed pictures

90.0%
  2. No, I am not having any issue with camera

10.0%
  1. 01baftb
    Gingerbread Aug 23, 2018

01baftb , Aug 23, 2018 :
    You can simply redo the test with "good" lighting conditions... Doing your test in a poor lighting environment will obviously increase nose in your photo due to the boosting of ISO. All the examples I showed in the main thread were conducted in a well light environment.

As for stable hands... I have repeated my own test multiple times and compared the same test results with iPhone 6s and OnePlus One. The issues I am reporting obviously can't be a fluke or a one time shaky hand issue. The same pictures were taken on iPhone 6s and if the shaky hands were an issue then even iPhone 6s pictures should have blurriness.

Trusting online reviews and videos is not really a good idea. I am not saying they are lying, but I think they are often "cleverly painting". Maybe you should think from the perspective of a blogger or online reviewer and think "what will drive the most traffic to your article/video"??? In addition reviews are subjective opinions of the reviewer. The test method they use are not repeatable, don't follow standards, and are very subjective... If someone post a picture of a park, garden, trees, fountains...What exactly are you analyzing in that photo to say "its a good or bad picture". Maybe one portion of the picture is going to be amazing quality while another portion will be poor. I reiterate my point about using dynamic pictures that are not repeatable and don't give objective method to dictate quality.

Here is a perfect example of a blogger comparing OnePlus 6 camera to other brand name phones and mistakenly claims OnePlus 6 camera quality is amazing. If you read comments posted by other users, you will realize the author made mistakes during comparison and when collecting voting results. The OnePlus 6 results were swapped with Pixel: https://www.androidauthority.com/oneplus-6-camera-shootout-results-889334/#comment-4006828964

Yes we should chill out and wait on OnePlus to fix the issue or maybe not fix the issue at all. But evidence clearly shows OnePlus 6 camera quality is poor and multiple users are facing issue. My post isn't the first post complaining about this issue. If you read through the forums multiple people have created threads about pictures being blurry, noisy, and oil painting issue.

Can you post results please? You can upload original files on Imgur and share results.

2. sskanth999
    Gingerbread Aug 23, 2018

sskanth999 , Aug 23, 2018 :
    After updating to 5.1.11 I can see that photos are grainy and not clear.

I have taken photo in HDR and didn't do any changes to it

Please zoom the attached picture so you guys can see that the photo is grainy and not clear.
    1534986824151.jpg

3. rathp
    Honeycomb Aug 23, 2018

rathp , Aug 23, 2018 :
    that website is a real sham. Near the time of the release of OnePlus 6 there came an article saying the camera was excellent. Then a few weeks later another one saying the camera was average followed by this shootout and poll which has been doctor ed but obviously it was an oversight.
    Now I was reading their pocophone F1 review and right from the word go they seem to find it not good at all.

01baftb likes this.
  4. anmol_mathur15
    Cupcake Aug 23, 2018

anmol_mathur15 , Aug 23, 2018 :
    U have done an Amazing analysis !!

Thank you for speaking for all of us !
    I've have same issues with my Oneplus 6

01baftb likes this.
  5. MetalSir
    Honeycomb Aug 23, 2018

MetalSir , Aug 23, 2018 :
    @01baftb not agree to what you replied to me. the article I put above is very professional and definitely repeatable. if you look to the other reviews (I did) ALL the test fotos are repeated for the devices. plus the article shows only SOME tests as best references among 1500 test photos. everyone is free to believe what he wants, this is clear, but to me is way too ambitious comparing our amateur testing to their.
    this said, I highly respect your research and I demonstrate you my interest in your work with my testing.
    cheers

edit: at the end of the article, in "cons" section, you can read that they are reporting the same issues we are discussing here. research is VERY professional to me.

01baftb and Bouncer71 like this.
  6. nathanEmperor
    Donut Aug 23, 2018

nathanEmperor , Aug 23, 2018 :
    I'm having the same issue here. For example on Facebook story, before I snap a photo it looks clear and crisp. However after I take the photo it becomes blurry. Same goes with selfies and even the regular default camera app. I tried to download other apps and it all becomes blurry once the photo is snapped. So maybe it's not the camera app that's the problem but it's the operating system that's the problem. Does anyone have any updates or any good news or response from Oneplus? This is upsetting because I bought this phone mainly for the camera's good review. Where did the good reviews actually come from when the camera behaves like this?? Any clue? I've also read on another thread that someone said there was a worker who was either fired or resign that tweaked the camera into being like this and now they don't know how to fix it. Not sure if it's true but makes sense because why would they mess up their camera like this? So is this a hardware issue like the Original Poster predicted? Since you said you tried other apps and it gave the same results do you still believe it could be a hardware problem?

01baftb likes this.
  7. MADMAC05
    Froyo Aug 23, 2018

MADMAC05 , Aug 23, 2018 :
    Hi,

Respecting everyone's opinion, I do think that 01baftb is right here.
    Although I ordered my phone on the day it came out, I was looking at a lot of reviews of the camera on YouTube by "testers" before I had it and nearly everyone said how brilliant it was. On multiple comparisons with other flagships, they were saying the camera was nearly as good if not better in many aspects, so I was pretty disappointed when I got mine and saw my own results.
    I considered 3 options: my unit was faulty and I thought of sending back, but then I saw many other people complaining of the same so I discarded that option; The test units sent to the reviewers were different (better) than the units sold to consumers; The reviewers do not portrait the truth about the results. I still don't know which is the right answer.
    What I do know is that if I take the same picture with Gcam the results are much better, so I'm sure it is not a hardware issue.
    Looking at what happened with previous models where similar situations never got fixed, it looks like OP has not quite got where it needs to be in terms of software algorithms, so best case scenario would be for Gcam to be supported officially by OP in the future.
    Seriously, try Gcam. Even with all the bugs and the fact that it is a lot slower it produces much better pictures.

01baftb likes this.
  8. MADMAC05
    Froyo Aug 23, 2018

Try Gcam mate. you can get the links from previous posts in this thread.

9. AmitExpectations
    Gingerbread Aug 23, 2018

AmitExpectations , Aug 23, 2018 :
    anyone has any idea regarding gcam app version without any bugs as i tried the latest one but it has many bugs

10. MADMAC05
    Froyo Aug 23, 2018

It's being worked on by XDA guys, so it will get better but I don't think a bug free version will come out without OP official support.

11. nathanEmperor
    Donut Aug 23, 2018

Thanks. Hopefully it's only a software issue... And this gets addressed. There are 35 pages hmm which one is the gcam in? Lol. Time to search

By the way guys I noticed when I take the pictures by the 1:1 ratio it's a bit better than the full screen one. In going to test it out a bit more today

12. B1535044016201
    Cupcake Aug 23, 2018

13. MADMAC05
    Froyo Aug 23, 2018

14. G_samad_tv_rhymes_kids_z
    Eclair Aug 23, 2018

15. supra-bay
    Froyo Aug 23, 2018

16. G_samad_tv_rhymes_kids_z
    Eclair Aug 23, 2018

17. G_samad_tv_rhymes_kids_z
    Eclair Aug 23, 2018

18. rathp
    Honeycomb Aug 23, 2018

rathp , Aug 23, 2018 :
    does anyone know the status of the video camera on the gcam. has it been worked on or is it still in the pipeline.? I am using the 1080p mode with very much better results than stock but would like to know if there are more changes coming. Also there is a toggle to switch off video stabilization, is this functional?

19. nathanEmperor
    Donut Aug 23, 2018

Guys. Actually the front camera seems good. It's the Facebook app that's making it blurry. Here are my pictures. The first is Facebook and the second is the default cam.

IMG_153505052430F.jpg

Now the default cam

Ah, it doesn't let me upload the default cam because it's more than 3mb. The Facebook one is like 150kb. So I guess Facebook doesn't generate the photo to it's maximum pixel capability. Because in the gallery, the regular camera app creates 3mb photos with better quality.

20. supra-bay
    Froyo Aug 23, 2018

supra-bay , Aug 23, 2018 :
    see only one