OnePlus 6 camera takes blurry and noisy pictures

?

Are you having issues with OnePlus 6 camera as described in this thread?

1. Yes, I am having issues with camera taking blurry, noisy, and highly post processed pictures

89.9%
  2. No, I am not having any issue with camera

10.1%
  1. nathanEmperor
    Donut Aug 23, 2018

nathanEmperor , Aug 23, 2018 :
    Now the default cam:
    The front camera makes a 3mb photo and this site only allows up to 2mb. That might explain why many apps become blurry because they don't utilize the details, etc, that the camera creates, while the default front cam saves all of the 3gb detail.

At first I was concerned because whenever I take Facebook story photos, it becomes blurry even though the preview is clear. But this may explain it that Facebook doesn't render the photo to it's full potential.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2018

2. mouldy
    Donut Aug 23, 2018

mouldy , Aug 23, 2018 :
    Hello, I am also not completely satisfied with the camera of Oneplus 6. I think that my old LG G4 was better, sorry but Its true.
    The quality of the photos comes... software is in the alpha version I think.

Lets have a look on these 2 pictures.

First photo is completely on automatic. Sky is ok, not only white splodge. fine, but in the middle? Totally black, darkness, ugly. That photo was taken at 3:00 PM. Where is some sun shining? Only ugly black.

The second picture is on HDR ON. In the middle there are some details, but still dark. The photo looks such unrealistic, middle is dark and the rest is unrealistic bright. I cant recognize any source of light on that picture.

Sorry this phone is not a flagship photographer. Some scenes looks great, but others looks ugly, unrealistic.

Another thing I described in this bug report:
    https://forums.oneplus.com/threads/oneplus-6-night-photo-shoot-quality.892844/

Attached Files:

01baftb likes this.
  3. Bouncer71
    OnePlus 7 Pro Sample Shot Photographer Aug 23, 2018

Bouncer71 , Aug 23, 2018 :
    Sorry to say ..
    You know nothing about how digital cameras work...
    Or photography in general...
    If you're shooting against a light and there's a part of the scene in the shade..
    what do you expect to happen if the automatic Exposure metering is done at the brightest part of the scene...?

Tab to focus and meter for other auto settings... Or lock AE/AF...

4. mouldy
    Donut Aug 23, 2018

mouldy , Aug 23, 2018 :
    Oh seriously? No I am just trying to help with reporting thins to update / fix.
    When the light source was behind me? I dont know what you are trying to tell me. It was taken by point exposure metering, and that point was on that gas station. And its still black. I will try to make some comparison between LG G4 and Oneplus 6, but i think in this case, G4 would be better.

And still that bug report on night photo shoot...

Attached is a photograph where G4 is again better.

Attached Files:

5. Bouncer71
    OnePlus 7 Pro Sample Shot Photographer Aug 23, 2018

Bouncer71 , Aug 23, 2018 :
    if the metering would've been spot on the shades of Gas station the sky would have blown out ...

tab to meter is average. ..

there's no issues...

if you want a specific look use pro mode or shoot raw and develop....
    or stack the exposure brackets with third party cams...

just a tip...
    a bit underexposed is better for development...
    blown out highlights are hard to recover...

no need to compare to G4...
    got an G3 and it's better...
    or else...

work with what you've got to get the best out of it...

6. mouldy
    Donut Aug 24, 2018

mouldy , Aug 24, 2018 :
    What? Do you think, that the old LG G3 is better than One+6 for taking a photo?

LG G4 was much better than G3 in a case of camera.

I think yes, we have a much better HW. IMX 519 is a latest Sony's camera chip with a great aperture, but the resulting quality is not perfect as should be.

Look at the attachment in my last post. Oneplus 6 worse than G4 on a logo of SONY. Do you think this can not be improved in next updates?

This is a point why I am here and why I am trying to report it. To make it better. Please do not tell me there are no issues here. We have a much better a newer hardware with better specification and we get worse quality of photos.

Bouncer71 likes this.
  7. Dodkrake
    Ice Cream Sandwich Aug 24, 2018

Dodkrake , Aug 24, 2018 :
    Then we jump into exaggeration mode. No, the g3 and g4 don't have a better camera than the OnePlus 6. They don't even have a better camera than my previous device, the Mi5.

As for these tests and professional reviews, I cannot reproduce most blurriness issues. I also can take decent photos at night and great photos during the day. Expectations are what they aren't and if you expected DSLR results from a phone you should be getting a DSLR.

Bouncer71 likes this.
  8. Bouncer71
    OnePlus 7 Pro Sample Shot Photographer Aug 24, 2018

Bouncer71 , Aug 24, 2018 :
    yes...
    LG was always at the top quality wise.
    Laser Auto Focus, great Optics and OIS, nice natural postprocessing, etc...
    This all comes at a price...

And I didn't want to say it better, it's another camera you have to get used to...

I have three other cameras besides the phone. One Fuji and two Lumix.
    They all behave slightly diffently in the same conditions and I have to adapt to get the results I want... Or I use a certain camera because it'll give me the best outcome in a planned shooting...

As for your comparison...
    Maybe try some Exposure compensation to get the desired look...

I moved to OP from LG...
    LG is a great camera in a crappy phone... ;D

9. G_Jimmi_Pranami_xqQo
    Eclair Aug 24, 2018

G_Jimmi_Pranami_xqQo , Aug 24, 2018 :
    try Google camera apk

ejraney and MADMAC05 like this.
  10. mouldy
    Donut Aug 24, 2018

mouldy , Aug 24, 2018 :
    No... I dont think, that the G4 is better, i shouldn't be. But in some cases is better. Because proccesing of Oneplus 6 is not certain.

I dont know why. I think that Oneplus 6 can be much better. If they will fix that processing of HDR, contrast, night photos, if they will add a flash in pro mode, better focusing with flash in night etc...

In every cases which I posted is G4 better. That picture of old gas station with unrealistic black middle. Processing of shining logo on the SONY table. G4 with the same 30s exposure has more bright pictures, more details and its sharp.

How is that even possible?! Oneplus 6 has 96 points on DXOmark, 10th. best phone for camera with this uncertain results?

OT: Before Oneplus 6 I had Zenfone 5. In case of camera it was completely shit. Much worse than One+. On DXomark is on the top, incredible...

11. Bouncer71
    OnePlus 7 Pro Sample Shot Photographer Aug 24, 2018

Bouncer71 , Aug 24, 2018 :
    LG probably has better optics....
    The lens is as important, if not more important, as the sensor...

Lenses have a loss of details towards the edges...
    The less the better the quality of the lens...

I'd like to see OnePlus use Zeiss optics..

G_Jimmi_Pranami_xqQo likes this.
  12. sajinmohammed
    Donut Aug 24, 2018

13. ejraney
    Donut Aug 24, 2018

14. MetalSir
    Honeycomb Aug 26, 2018

Bouncer71 likes this.
  15. F1534827869337
    Cupcake Aug 26, 2018

F1534827869337 , Aug 26, 2018 :
    I just got my OP6 a few days ago but I have also noticed the camera issues. I believe it's entirely due to post processing and is particularly (or possibly only) noticeable with skin tones and "human" elements. Pictures I've taken of various objects (e.g. - food) are all sharp, in focus and well exposed even when viewed at full size. Photos I've taken of people are often (but NOT always) acceptable until viewed at full resolution where over processing of the skin leaves a patchy/blurry quality to it...it looks like painting or stippling.

I read that at least 1 known issue with this was resolved in a recent Oxygen update, however, I'm on a version a couple of minor versions later than that and still see this issue. I'm wondering if further updates are planned.

ATM, I haven't decided if this is enough of an issue to warrant sending it back or selling it. The problems isn't consistent - I have managed to get very sharp photos of people - but it makes the camera "unreliable" if you want and care about consistently good shots when out with family/friends.

01baftb likes this.
  16. G_samad_tv_rhymes_kids_z
    Eclair Aug 26, 2018

17. xulos
    Eclair Aug 26, 2018

xulos , Aug 26, 2018 :
    You are so usefull with this post... Because of you and same like you this communty will look like sh**. Can you be more detail about your problem ? Somehow my camera is much more better after 5.1.11. Im really supprised how pictures look now. Idk what happned, installed 5.1.11 , cleared cache and voila.

18. rathp
    Honeycomb Aug 26, 2018

rathp , Aug 26, 2018 :
    Spot on with human skin tone issue. Just use the front camera to take a snap of a group of people in an indoor lighted setting. You might get asked if you were violently shaking the camera when you took the snap. Another point to consider on returning or selling the camera

19. edy90s
    Honeycomb Aug 26, 2018

edy90s , Aug 26, 2018 :
    if you whant photos buy a DSLR :)

20. O1517064656467
    Cupcake Aug 26, 2018

O1517064656467 , Aug 26, 2018 :
    Yes, I'm facing the same issue. Intact my 5T pictures quality were much much better than one plus six.

is it a hardware issue or software?