[Submitted] OnePlus 6 Camera takes blurry photos and has difficulty focusing uniformly on a flat focal plane

1. 01baftb
    Gingerbread Jul 25, 2018

01baftb , Jul 25, 2018 :
    Problem: OnePlus 6 camera has poor focusing in addition to non-uniform focus on a flat focal plane. To prove this, I have taken a picture of a sheet of paper with text on it. The resulting captured picture has random patches of area that are blurry and out of focus. I confirmed the lenses of the camera are clean. This issue is very repeatability. This issue occurs in all types of photos (nature, outdoor, indoor, pets, people, etc...). A sheet of paper with text was used as an example this bug report easy reproducibility as opposed to dynamic pictures such as flowers or nature which can be very subjective to judge the focusing issue. Issue has been occurring on OOS 5.1.9 and OOS 5.1.8.

Expected behavior: When taking a picture of flat subject (ex: sheet of paper), it is expected all parts of the picture should be in focus uniformly because the subject is on the same focal plane.

Supporting documents: Attached pictures contain comparison between picture taken with OnePlus 6 and iPhone 6s. The comparison pictures are NOT to give adjustment on which camera is better, but to simply convey the focusing issue in OnePlus 6. I had to reduce the size of the upload files because the thread only allows 2MB file. OnePlus dev team can contact me if they want the original files.

Detailed steps to reproduce: This thread contains exact details steps to reproduce the issue as well as details of multiple issues with OnePlus 6 camera which including blurry photos, poor focusing, and noisy/grainy pictures. https://forums.oneplus.com/threads/oneplus-6-camera-takes-blurry-and-noisy-pictures.864226/

Related bugs submitted:

Test Methods
    • 3x3 grid on live preview display of the camera was used for proper alignment/framing to ensure same field of view (area) is being captured from multiple cameras being compared
    • A tripod was NOT used but the 3x3 grid on live preview was used to ensure proper framing for comparisons between different cameras
    • All pictures were captured in auto focus and auto exposure mode. I did NOT tap on any part of the live preview before taking the shot. Tapping on the subject before taking shot leads to change in manual focusing/exposure
    • Pictures were transferred from phone to PC without any modifications

Updates:

This example is my worst fear because it may show evidence of the camera issue in OnePlus 6 being a hardware issue instead of software issue. I used Open Camera app and compared it to the default OxygenOS Camera app. In addition, I compared pictures on OnePlus 6 vs. OnePlus One. It seems that on OnePlus 6, both the default Camera app and Open Camera app have blurry pictures. The picture taken on OnePlus One with the Open Camera app had better clarity. The patches of blurry area seemed to generally occur the same location every time I attempted to repeat this test. Note: My framing using 3x3 grid was always in the same reference location every time I repeated the test.

[​IMG]

Please visit this thread for any updates and detail steps to reproduce the issues: https://forums.oneplus.com/threads/oneplus-6-camera-takes-blurry-and-noisy-pictures.864226/

Last edited: Aug 1, 2018

2. spaceman0102
    Froyo Jul 27, 2018

spaceman0102 , Jul 27, 2018 :
    Has anyone ask oneplus team or support for camera issues, especially in low light, blurriness, oil paint effects, lack of sharpness... And did oneplus answer this type of questions?

3. hassan987
    Gingerbread Jul 27, 2018

hassan987 , Jul 27, 2018 :
    Oneplus camera has tons of problems which prevent the true capability of the sensor from bring realized. However since the reviews and sales are good Oneplus doesn't care much about the problems.
    Therefore if you really want a good camera, best to get a pixel 2 like I did for my wife. Now we use pixel 2 for all our family photos.

4. T1527317176832
    Eclair Aug 12, 2018

T1527317176832 , Aug 12, 2018 :
    I couldn't agree more to what you mentioned in details about the camera. I am so very disappointed with the rear camera. Picture comes out grainy with oil affect. My LG G4 still takes better pictures under the same conditions.

01baftb likes this.
  5. G_Robinson_Fdo_zMcE
    Cupcake Aug 14, 2018

G_Robinson_Fdo_zMcE , Aug 14, 2018 :
    I'm facing the same issue on my one plus 3 blury pictures and words cannot be focused and pictures are unclear after an update and I believe it's a software problem as many of them are having the same issue I would request the one plus team to check and provide us a feedback as soon as possible

6. MetalSir
    Honeycomb Oct 1, 2018

MetalSir , Oct 1, 2018 :
    Big quote on overything. I have tested myself following @01baftb guidelines.
    No fix till OXYGEN 9.0

01baftb likes this.
  7. Sunshadow
    Cupcake Jun 15, 2019

Sunshadow , Jun 15, 2019 :
    Hi,
    I have the same issue. But the solution I found is to download gcam from xda site. That fixed it. But I am very disappointed . why can't one plus team fix this. All my rear camera photos are very blurry using stock camera app. especially landscapes. they r like photos clicked from 5MP 2006 phone.