Other Oneplus 6 crashdump mode -> Powered off --> Completely unresponsive

1. R1512656330855
    Cupcake Sep 6, 2020

R1512656330855 , Sep 6, 2020 :
    I have visited the one plus service centre yesterday and they asked me to replace motherboard..😑

2. R1512656330855
    Cupcake Sep 6, 2020

R1512656330855 , Sep 6, 2020 :
    I see that most of them had faced the same issue..It seems like its a bug in the recent update..why dnt Oneplus resolve it..And why are we ending up replacing the motherboard?

3. yawarkhalid
    Honeycomb Sep 7, 2020

yawarkhalid , Sep 7, 2020 :
    Hi.

1) It is literally impossible that the phone has had a hardware issue. It was never dropped in its lifetime or exposed to moisture. It has never been charged from anything except the official OP charger and cable from the box. It has always been in a rugged armor case.

2) I dont have a OnePlus service center in my country.

I've reached out to OP again. They have gotten me to download files but are now unresponsive since the past 4 days. Lets see.

4. yawarkhalid
    Honeycomb Sep 7, 2020

Hello. In some builds it finished. But the phone doesn't boot up after that or gets stuck on the Oxygen logo.

In other builds it doesnt go through. Gets stuck on Param Preload. Hope that helps.

5. yawarkhalid
    Honeycomb Sep 7, 2020

I've noticed a lot of people faced the exact same issue in the past couple of weeks. Has to be some sort of bug and I'm quiet sure it is not a hardware issue. Atleast not due to my own fault. Maybe somehow the bug fried the mobo if thats even possible. So all they can do is replace the motherboard. Are they charging you for it?

I dont even have an OP service center in my country.

6. Caomhin
    Marshmallow Sep 7, 2020

Caomhin , via OnePlus 6T , Sep 7, 2020 :
    I never mentioned about it dropping, but sometimes electronics fail. It happens and when it does you may get the issue you experienced.

It is still possible that it is a bootloader issue which is built in software, again, am sure OnePlus should be able to check this for you.

As I said, contact OnePlus directly about the issue.

7. W1556026463390
    Cupcake Sep 8, 2020

W1556026463390 , Sep 8, 2020 :

Same issue with me . I was just using instagram suddendly my phones hangs and went to Qualcomm Crash Dump mode. I WENT TO SERVICE CENTER THEY SAID I HAVE TO REPLACE THE MOTHERBOARD. It would cost me around 17K for a two year old phone...

8. W1556026463390
    Cupcake Sep 8, 2020

W1556026463390 , Sep 8, 2020 :

P.S-- MY NOTIFICATION LED AND CHARGING IS WORKING FINE.

9. R1512656330855
    Cupcake Sep 10, 2020

R1512656330855 , Sep 10, 2020 :
    exactly I have the same question..why do we have to bear the charges for no fault of ours..the technician in service centre told me to replace the board and it would cost 20000..And my question here is what's the guarantee that we won't face the same issue again..And I m quite sure that its not the hardware issue..didn't expect this from Oneplus..and I switched to LG now..no nopes that they would resolve this..atleast not now.

W1556026463390 likes this.
  10. Caomhin
    Marshmallow Sep 11, 2020

Caomhin , via OnePlus 6T , Sep 11, 2020 :
    Because the warranty on the phone lasts for a certain period of time. If you are out of warranty, then you will have to pay for any repairs.

But you would have known how long the warranty was if you read the information on the phone before purchasing it.

And its down to the repair centre to warranty or guarantee their work, check to be sure what King of guarantee is offered on repairs.

11. yawarkhalid
    Honeycomb Sep 18, 2020

yawarkhalid , Sep 18, 2020 :
    The fact that the phone stopped working randomly without any sort of a physical strain or damage indicates that a hardware failure is impossible.

Its funny though how the exact same thing happened to 3 in the same week.

12. W1556026463390
    Cupcake Sep 18, 2020

W1556026463390 , Sep 18, 2020 :
    Not 3 but many Oneplus users. Nord ones will claim warranty but what about us whose warranty Period is Over.
    My phone have Stopped working right in my hand .

13. yawarkhalid
    Honeycomb Sep 27, 2020

yawarkhalid , Sep 27, 2020 :
    Yup. Found numerous others on XDA as well.

14. notmilin
    Eclair Sep 29, 2020

notmilin , Sep 29, 2020 :
    Wow so I am not alone the same error has happened with a large number of users and the only solution offered is to spend 20k (which is more than half the price of a 2-year-old phone), and who exactly is this smarty pants Caomhin, some unofficial spokesperson of OP? The lad doesn't even know the problem and keeps asking to contact the support when the support itself is horrible.

15. Caomhin
    Marshmallow Sep 29, 2020

Caomhin , via OnePlus 6T , Sep 29, 2020 :
    If you have a hardware problem with a OnePlus phone, you deal with OnePlus support. Everyone here in these forums is a user the same as yourself.

It's entirely up to you what you do, as it's your phone. But OnePlus support are there for a reason. Use them If you wish or not, I merely give the links so people are aware how to contact them

🙄🙄🙄

16. notmilin
    Eclair Sep 29, 2020

Buddy, am not saying you have any ill intentions, its just that several people have started to face this issue out of nowhere and with regular use only and without their fault, its not a hardware issue for sure, maybe the software affected the hardware, and the support team isn't really helpful, they are replying after 3-4 days and the lads at service centre don't cooperate, the only solution according to them is the replacement of motherboard, why would one spend money when oneplus broke their phone.

17. Caomhin
    Marshmallow Sep 29, 2020

Without checking it physically its impossible to say its not hardware. However Android does crash dump on other phone, at times, have had it in a Samsung before a couple if years ago, I used their unbrick tool to fix it at the time, which worked.

You can also try to unbrick the phone as I mentioned in post #2 further up this thread on 29 Aug using the MSMDownload Tool, this is the software fix as mentioned on XDA which can be tried first.

If that doesn't fix it, then it may also be a hardware fault, now it may be an individual part on the board, however as the main board is produced with all parts soldered down, then in general the whole mainboard may have to be replaced to rectify the issue.

Out of millions of phones sold, there will be a fractional percentage that may have an inherent fault that may be outside tolerance and may take time to fail.

Beyond that some may fail due to physical damage which may or may not be obvious, example would be someone carry a phone in their back pocket, sitting on a solid surface and put a slight bend on the ohone, or maybe it has been dropped a couple of times.

I know I have dropped mine a few times, nearly everyone does at some stage, mine survived, and others may work for a period of time after a drop or multiple drops, but then something may fail down the line after those drops.

Electronics are very sensitive, and not everything is built withstand abuse, whether by accident or intention.

As for OnePlus, no one here has any control over them. And nor could they as we are users in a user forum. Your only hope is to try and contact them via all ways possible. Chat, Email, Phone, even the care app if you are in India.

There is nothing we can do here bar give suggestions.

18. notmilin
    Eclair Sep 29, 2020

I did go to the service centre and got the same reply that the Motherboard needs to be replaced, about the physical damage issue, like everyone else, this issue occurred during a normal use only and it didn't fall or anything. Moreover, most of us started facing this issue late August to now and if that isn't suspicious I don't know what is. I surely think this is caused due to a software issue.

Edit: I have also tried all the MSM tools and none of them works, the ROM only gets flashed and 1+ logo comes up and goes straight to CrashDump mode.

19. Caomhin
    Marshmallow Sep 29, 2020

I have been here 2 years, and I have seen this happen previously and no more than it has happened lately. I haven't seen anything coinciding with this.

If you do a search in the forum here, you will find a number of crash dump threads going back to when the 6 series release., but not a lot of cases, and if you check the dates on the posts there has been no spike in posts mentioning this for the 6 series phones, and that is including 6T phones as well.

You can filter the search to just look for 6/6T and either Crashdump, Crash Dump or Qualcomm as search terms.

20. notmilin
    Eclair Sep 29, 2020

I would ask you to do the same I guess taking into consideration the posts on XDA and even twitter, and about your point that you've seen it happen previously, the earlier issues got resolved with the MSM tool, but this time the tool is not working.