OnePlus 6 Face Unlock bypassed with PRINTED photo! [and other faces]

1. Dark_Matrix_Guru Ice Cream Sandwich Jun 2, 2018

2. G_Ciprian_Mihai_CfCD Gingerbread Jun 2, 2018

G_Ciprian_Mihai_CfCD, Jun 2, 2018 :
    You're the only one can do that. Wow

3. Dark_Matrix_Guru Ice Cream Sandwich Jun 2, 2018

Dark_Matrix_Guru, Jun 2, 2018 :
    If anyone needs to bypass Face ID, pm me for shipping information. I will need the following items:

Phone to unlock
    Any pictures of the phones owners
    $500

Thank you, happy unlocking

elanglois likes this.
  4. x222 Froyo Jun 2, 2018

x222, Jun 2, 2018 :
    the face unlock should based on animated records of user's face, not just a single photo,
    on top of that there need to be eyes scanner involved as well.

5. elanglois Lollipop Jun 3, 2018

elanglois, Jun 3, 2018 :
    You mean of the OP3? It was done on the OP6. Do you really think they had nothing better to do than change the code that no one had an issue with, just to make it less secure? They've always said it was less secure.

Google's Face Unlock is the same algorithm and I just tried it using a picture of myself on my Oneplus One, and it opened my OP3T. That said, I don't run OOS on the OP3T. But it only took a few seconds to fool Google.

A 5T user says his sister did the same thing and it unlocked.
    https://forums.oneplus.com/threads/picture-works-to-unlock-phone.696944/

Dark_Matrix_Guru likes this.
  6. elanglois Lollipop Jun 3, 2018

elanglois, Jun 3, 2018 :
    And FYI. People post videos to Youtube of people running into walls, going THROUGH the wall, and leaving their clothes behind, stuck to the wall.

Perhaps "It was on YouTube" isn't proof of anything at all.

7. L1527991896741 Cupcake Jun 3, 2018

L1527991896741, Jun 3, 2018 :
    just try face unlocking with face closed using your palm only revealing your eyes it will still unlock, close one eye and keep other eye open it will still unlock. face unlock is not made secure at the moment hence it's better avoid using it

8. TigerSevenDelta Cupcake Jun 3, 2018

9. pgrey Honeycomb Jun 3, 2018

pgrey, Jun 3, 2018 :
    I tried the "palm over my face, with eyes in full view", nothing, tried maybe 15-20 times.
    If you notice, when it first "maps" your face, it takes quite a number of inflection points, and I bet relates them to some 3D interpretation data (based on stats models or something).
    This would make your face unique enough, and really hard to fool with any photo, but maybe a 4K, 3D modified photo, or similar (my 4K, color-matched monitor doesn't do it, again tried at least the same number of times).
    Mine maps maybe 30-40 points, and you can see it drawing directed-graph models, or similar between them.

@G_David_Gunner_rZAR, I wonder if the algorithm isn't as reliable, with a lot of facial hair, because it can't map as many actual structural points of your face?

Either way though, it's noted as "not secure" in the documentation, so full-disclosure applies.
    My 950XL had an iris scanner, and I tried to fool it, MANY times, with pics, etc. I bet it's MORE secure than a PIN/Pattern, depending on the h/w and s/w between the scanner and the security model that unlocks (obviously this would be a good attack vector).

10. Topper_Gas Jelly Bean Jun 3, 2018

Topper_Gas, Jun 3, 2018 :
    Thanks for that So there's no real proof anywhere then, nothing on YouTube, no tech blogs saying it was an issue on the 3/5's.

11. Topper_Gas Jelly Bean Jun 3, 2018

Topper_Gas, Jun 3, 2018 :
    But how safe dose your phone need to be, as long as any random person who gets hold of it can't open it then Facelock was safe enough on previous OP handsets, just as long as banking apps etc were still secured with the FP.

12. shubham521 Cupcake Jun 3, 2018

shubham521, Jun 3, 2018 :
    Hi ,
    I have a one plus 6 and I was pretty excited for it as it is my first one plus product. I have heard a lot about the company and their products. But one thing that disappoints me as a one plus 6 user is that the face unlock features is not as secure as the other flagship smartphone. I know that one plus itself say to use fingerprint as it is more secure but I am able to fool the one plus 6 face unlock with a B&W photo. Not everytime but ya it unlocks pretty easy.

one plus should be able to fix this with some OTA updates and use features like Honor use in their face recognition.

hoping for a fix soon.
    #oneplus6#faceunlock#issue

13. TigerSevenDelta Cupcake Jun 3, 2018

TigerSevenDelta, Jun 3, 2018 :
    this my first one plus phone so don't really know about previous hand set. but I've never really trusted face unlock on any device. always felt better with finger print

14. Cervantes Lollipop Moderator Jun 3, 2018

Cervantes, Jun 3, 2018 :
    Thread merge
    Please check this thread

15. Dark_Matrix_Guru Ice Cream Sandwich Jun 3, 2018

Dark_Matrix_Guru, Jun 3, 2018 :
    I had no facial hair besides mustache and goatee when I set up my Face ID. I have found 8 pictures in total of my with and without facial hair that unlocks my OnePlus 6

16. pgrey Honeycomb Jun 4, 2018

pgrey, Jun 4, 2018 :
    @G_David_Gunner_rZAR Weird.

I can't fool mine, no-way, no-how, and yours seems like it almost doesn't care what picture it's using to unlock...

While I have no illusions about the "security" around face-unlock (it's not, but an acceptable level of risk for some), but it should have *some* degree of consistency, you'd think.

I bet one of the other "Smart Lock" mechanisms is doing it, maybe a setting that's a bug, and is "stuck" on, or similar, such as a location unlock.
    This covers the gamut, pretty well: https://www.lifewire.com/using-google-smart-lock-on-android-121682

17. Moin2200 KitKat Jun 4, 2018

18. Dark_Matrix_Guru Ice Cream Sandwich Jun 4, 2018

Dark_Matrix_Guru, Jun 4, 2018 :

pgrey

@G_David_Gunner_rZAR Weird.

I can't fool mine, no-way, no-how, and yours seems like it almost doesn't care what picture it's using to unlock...

While I have no illusions about the "security" around face-unlock (it's not, but an acceptable level of risk for some), but it should have *some* degree of consistency, you'd think.

I bet one of the other "Smart Lock" mechanisms is doing it, maybe a setting that's a bug, and is "stuck" on, or similar, such as a location unlock.
    This covers the gamut, pretty well: https://www.lifewire.com/using-google-smart-lock-on-android-121682

It doesn't work with any picture only certain ones, with or without facial hair. All my location, bluetooth and nfc connections are always turned off all the time. No smart lock used because it hasn't been setup, I never use those locks on any device I own.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2018

19. Chaks_IN Gingerbread Jun 4, 2018

Chaks_IN, Jun 4, 2018 :
    The basic difference between apple system and other android systems available till today is the 3D scanner. Apple doesn't use selfie camera alone but Android phones use only selfie cam as always in the past. The software is more tuned now and it takes more than just a photo to fool the system now. Apple system also works in the dark and also with your sunglasses on or hat on or something like that, but Android system doesn't recognise if you wear anything that you did not wear when setting up the face unlock. I personally find this feature not useful at all. You have to pick up the phone or bend over and face the phone and then double tap it click the power button to wake up the phone and then it opens. Using your finger print is much much more easier and safer. This is only useful when your hands are full, then you can double tap and then look at the screen to unlock, but again your hands are full and what would you do with the unlocked phone?

Also, I tried with photos, 1080p TV screen, laptop photo, printed photo, etc etc and it did not open, I have to now try it with real size cut out.

Again, with face recognition or finger print, anyone who is in physical control of.you and the phone can unlock your phone and steal data. For example, someone can beat you up and open the phone with your face or fingerprint.and then set their own password, pin, etc and steal your phone and use it or do whatever????

So, go for a pin or password if you store sensitive data in your phone otherwise they are all the same security wise and face unlock is a feature that you also have.

OnePlus gives you the trending options with the highest possible specs at the lowest possible price. It doesn't invent anything new, it doesn't create a trend or anything of that sort. You get top specs at half the price without compromising quality and that is it.