OnePlus 6 Face Unlock bypassed with PRINTED photo! [and other faces]

1. vwite
    Honeycomb May 31, 2018

vwite , May 31, 2018 :
    why are you arguing with someone that says samsung is bad because it "likes blowing batteries" lol

Dark_Matrix_Guru likes this.
  2. adrnjgr
    The Lab - OnePlus 6 Reviewer May 31, 2018

adrnjgr , May 31, 2018 :
    I tried it too, just to see how it goes. I used another phone, a tablet and a 1:1 colored print, in natural and artificial light. Not once did it unlock my 6 with a photo.

Now, this isn't definitive proof of the fail-safe of Face Unlock. Then again, neither is that video showing that it can be easily bypassed. The idea is don't believe everything on the 'interweb'.

LeoGouveia likes this.
  3. Topper_Gas
    Jelly Bean May 31, 2018

Topper_Gas , May 31, 2018 :
    Go back and repeat what the YouTuber did show around a quarter of your face including your eyes and I bet the phone opens, which it should!

Surprised OP haven't responded to this video with their own video before everyone just assumes Face Unlock is dodgy.

4. adrnjgr

adrnjgr , May 31, 2018 :
    Well, that kinda defeats the purpose. It's like saying someone can open my phone with a photo of me and 1/4 of my actual face.

I am curious about an official position, too. If it will show up.

5. avalanch707
    Honeycomb May 31, 2018

avalanch707 , May 31, 2018 :

I am sure we are talking about same Samsung that just won case in Netherlands so it won't be force to provide support in other words, provide security and software updates for device which is older than 2 years. I mean why would you, it's not like you are launching million phones every year, someone somewhere has to buy it. It's a great way to force people to buy new phones.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2018

6. Topper_Gas
    Jelly Bean May 31, 2018

Topper_Gas , May 31, 2018 :
    Why would somebody only have a 1/4 of your face? Although having just tried it that doesn't work so perhaps the phone camera saw the YouTubers full face, although the silence from OP is worrying!!

7. aksshah2004
    Froyo May 31, 2018

aksshah2004 , May 31, 2018 :
    As this is purely software, OnePlus can always make it better. Hopefully they do. Security is sacrificed for convenience.

Happy John likes this.
  8. adrnjgr

adrnjgr , May 31, 2018 :
    My point exactly.
    Even if it does work with a photo and a glimpse of your actual face, it is safe enough. Not Google Pay, banking apps-safe, but safe enough for normal use. OnePlus never said otherwise.

Happy John and aksshah2004 like this.
  9. Happy John
    Froyo May 31, 2018

Happy John , May 31, 2018 :
    I see a "Not as secure as other unlocking methods" text under my Face Unlock option...

10. aksshah2004
    Froyo May 31, 2018

11. pgrey
    Honeycomb May 31, 2018

pgrey , May 31, 2018 :
    I'm surprised, I suspect they're using a 3D model of some sort, to (theoretically) limit the number of false-unlocks this way.
    I tried this, 10+ times, multiple re-touches of the "face unlock" symbol in each, no such luck. Same face/pic, seconds apart (4K UHD high-quality Viewsonic monitor, color-corrected). I'd be interested to see this working, because I sure can't get it to. If I'm not careful though, and get my face within maybe 150' of the camera, while testing this, it unlocks, maybe this is what some are seeing?
    My 950XL had a IR retina scan, there was NO fooling it, although it was finicky sometimes (even clear-cycling glasses would throw it off, occasionally). I wonder why more aren't going to this model, it's (the last time I read) as secure as almost anything out there.

I use a good quality, 8-mil ziploc (the really stout stuff, takes a long time to get "cloudy") when I riding or whatever, and face-unlock will barely work through that, it's probably 1/50 tries, if that.

12. Dark_Matrix_Guru
    Ice Cream Sandwich May 31, 2018

Dark_Matrix_Guru , May 31, 2018 :
    so are you saying that you cannot get the OnePlus 6 to unlock using a picture?

13. Dark_Matrix_Guru

Dark_Matrix_Guru , May 31, 2018 :

okay folks once again here is the video of me unlocking the OnePlus 6 face unlock with a picture on my TV. not even a very good picture might I add

avalanch707 likes this.
  14. Dark_Matrix_Guru

hogwarts1982 likes this.
  15. vwite
    Honeycomb Jun 1, 2018

vwite , Jun 1, 2018 :
    maybe because is fake AF?? LOL just kidding I told you you were wasting your time making a video for OP fanboys, they'll keep believing what they want

Dark_Matrix_Guru likes this.
  16. omarchic
    Gingerbread Jun 1, 2018

omarchic , Jun 1, 2018 :
    500£ cheaper than iPhone x
    and twice faster
    fakk face id
    im happy with fingerprint i'd.
    i was apple fan for 6 years bty
    since iPhone 3G

17. Topper_Gas
    Jelly Bean Jun 1, 2018

Topper_Gas , Jun 1, 2018 :
    Any idea why the phone is showing the picture of your face just as it reopens, as my OP3 never does that when it opens using Face Unlock?

Just tried a photo with my own OP3 and that doesn't unlock using Face Unlock, it's odd the OP6 doesn't just use the same set up as the OP3/5 which don't seem to have the same issues..

ayush12mj likes this.
  18. G_Ciprian_Mihai_CfCD
    Gingerbread Jun 1, 2018

19. G_Ciprian_Mihai_CfCD
    Gingerbread Jun 1, 2018

G_Ciprian_Mihai_CfCD , Jun 1, 2018 :
    No way. Probably yours is defective. You should return it :)). Mine cannot be unlocked that way

20. Dark_Matrix_Guru
    Ice Cream Sandwich Jun 1, 2018

Dark_Matrix_Guru , Jun 1, 2018 :
    because the picture of me is on a TV you know a reflective screen??

hogwarts1982 likes this.