OnePlus 6 Face Unlock bypassed with PRINTED photo! [and other faces]

1. Shuller
    Jelly Bean Jun 1, 2018

Shuller , Jun 1, 2018 :
    It was know since first trials of face unlock is not secure at all... and face unlock is an option used in 2013 by Sony Xperia...
    If people don’t know the story they might have to read about a feature they a looking for...

2. randywhorton
    Froyo Jun 1, 2018

randywhorton , Jun 1, 2018 :
    it's a mobile phone for enjoyment and won't be used to unlock the door to the space shuttle! stop nit picking everything and enjoy your great phone

3. Aki2718
    Cupcake Jun 1, 2018

Aki2718 , Jun 1, 2018 :
    I am aware that face unlock is not as secure as fingerprint, but in my opinion it should not be fooled by a picture. The fact that it can be fooled like this is really embarrassing. OnePlus should fix this vulnerability.

4. randywhorton
    Froyo Jun 1, 2018

randywhorton , Jun 1, 2018 :
    my point is don't take everything so serious and if you have a issue that's bothering you then write tech support for help as dramatic titles 'foiled' are a bit silly.

Dark_Matrix_Guru likes this.
  5. Topper_Gas
    Jelly Bean Jun 1, 2018

Topper_Gas , Jun 1, 2018 :
    OK, it just looked like a picture on your phone rather than just a reflection, have you contacted Customer Support?

6. Spectre_Nine
    Honeycomb Jun 1, 2018

Spectre_Nine , Jun 1, 2018 :
    Anyone else been able to replicate this?
    I'm very well aware that face unlock is a lot less secure than a passcode but I haven't been able to trick it yet.

7. sgurjeet99
    Gingerbread Jun 1, 2018

sgurjeet99 , Jun 1, 2018 :
    Well it's true that face unlock isn't secure but the same didn't happen with 5T. Don't know why

8. malidan
    Marshmallow Jun 1, 2018

malidan , Jun 1, 2018 :
    OP have gone for speed if you have speed you can not have security.
    Apple and Samsung's implementations is proof of that, you have to meet alot more parameters before you can unlock.
    It will be interesting to see how Xiaomi's version goes.

9. Oapdm104
    Cupcake Jun 1, 2018

Oapdm104 , Jun 1, 2018 :
    It is super fast and can be turned off fast when you are planning on getting it sit. I like using face unlock during the day where it goes from my pocket to my ear and that all.

10. Dark_Matrix_Guru
    Ice Cream Sandwich Jun 1, 2018

Dark_Matrix_Guru , Jun 1, 2018 :
    Send me a 5t and I will bypass the face ID. Don't care what the internet says or who else has tried and failed.

11. sgurjeet99
    Gingerbread Jun 1, 2018

sgurjeet99 , Jun 1, 2018 :
    I meant the way that guy in the video did. With a picture. Because that same didn't happen with a 5T.
    There must be ways as it's just using the camera.

12. pgrey
    Honeycomb Jun 1, 2018

pgrey , Jun 1, 2018 :
    Correct, and I tried a LOT of times, different angles of the pics on my monitor, etc.
    I went back and forth, between my real face (works EVERY time, very consistent), and the pic I'd just taken, on my monitor, which worked zero times (out of maybe 25-30 tries).
    This is with my 5T, my only OP phone.

I watched your video, it sure looked like the camera might be picking up your "actual" face from an offset angle, but it's hard to tell your face-orientation, relative to the front camera.
    Maybe try to cover your face, or otherwise obscure it, so you're sure it's not catching it from an angle? Even putting a piece of paper or similar should prevent this.

I am NOT trying to claim that face-reco is a super-secure locking mechanism. It's NOT, and no one should rely on it as-such.
    I'm just saying I can't get the pic thing to work, at all, possibly for the reasons I mentioned above.

G_Ciprian_Mihai_CfCD likes this.
  13. G_Ciprian_Mihai_CfCD
    Gingerbread Jun 1, 2018

G_Ciprian_Mihai_CfCD , Jun 1, 2018 :
    I tried it as well. Took a selfie,put in on my TV and laptop, tried at least 20 times and wouldn't unlock

14. pgrey
    Honeycomb Jun 1, 2018

pgrey , Jun 1, 2018 :
    Hmm, I had a thought.
    Don't take this the wrong way, please, but get a brown paper bag or similar (NOT A PLASTIC ONE, OF ANY VARIETY), cut a couple of eye-holes to see what you're doing, and try to repro this.
    I bet it doesn't work.

15. Dark_Matrix_Guru

okay guys I just recorded another video with a mask on my face and someone else holding the camera. it is uploading momentarily and you can clearly see in the reflection of my TV that the phone is locked and unlocks once I point it towards my TV

16. Dark_Matrix_Guru

look I'm just good at what I do I don't know what to tell you but here's the video of me unlocking the phone while wearing a mask so it doesn't detect my face at an angle.

elanglois likes this.
  17. pgrey
    Honeycomb Jun 1, 2018

pgrey , Jun 1, 2018 :
    @G_David_Gunner_rZAR Yeah, that's weird, maybe it's a OP6 specific thing, although it's hard to believe they implemented this any differently for the newer phone.
    I cannot get this to occur (i.e. unlock with my picture), even without a mask on, with my 5T, same as the other person who tried it many times.

Shave the beard, maybe it's the beard ;-]
    Totally, 110% kidding, who knows what the face-recognition algorithm is using here...

Dark_Matrix_Guru likes this.
  18. Zhukov45
    Gingerbread Jun 1, 2018

Zhukov45 , Jun 1, 2018 :
    Security. Convenience. Pick one.

This is NOT a vulnerability as OP clearly even warns you that Face Unlock isn't as secure as other methods. It'd be different if they claimed that it's tough to bypass, but they didn't. I just checked to be sure and it clearly tells you that it's less secure than a password or fingerprint scan.

19. Topper_Gas
    Jelly Bean Jun 1, 2018

Topper_Gas , Jun 1, 2018 :
    I guess the OP6 spec is different than the OP3/5's as the camera was moved due to the notch, I guess the continued silence from OP/Carl now virtually confirms there's an issue with face unlock, it'll be interesting to see if it can be fixed by a OS update or if it's going to be a bigger issue for OP.

20. Dark_Matrix_Guru
    Ice Cream Sandwich Jun 2, 2018

Dark_Matrix_Guru , Jun 2, 2018 :
    I'm in complete shock!! No one has tried to debunk my face id unlock video claiming a conspiracy theory..... [e]1f602[/e][e]1f602[/e]