OnePlus 6 Rear Glass Cracking : Please Reply OnePlus!

1. redlinecoatings Ice Cream Sandwich Oct 12, 2018

redlinecoatings, Oct 12, 2018 :
    All glass is weak. It's so hard that's it's brittle.

deangilvin and Deactivated User like this.
  2. redlinecoatings Ice Cream Sandwich Oct 12, 2018

Everyone in this thread stating it cracked on its own is so full of it. If you say you've never dropped, from any distance, or bumped your phone into anything you are a liar. 100% . Every single person with a phone has knocked it or dropped it, even placing it on a table to hard can break something. It doesn't matter what you have on to protect it, it depends on where it hits. I have the bundled cover on mine and I've dropped it many times, nothing broken yet. My wife has an s8 with a bulky case on it, dropped once and bye bye screen. I can understand your frustrated, but it's your own fault so man up and deal with it. Fix it or cover it with a skin. And realize that YOU made a mistake somewhere. Don't blame OP for your faults.

Glass is glass. It is a very very hard material, therefore it is very brittle. And it will break very easily if hit on the right spot.

3. Deactivated User Oct 12, 2018

4. redlinecoatings Ice Cream Sandwich Oct 12, 2018

That's a perfect analogy.

Kytharsis and Deactivated User like this.
  5. CDrewing Cupcake Oct 12, 2018

CDrewing, Oct 12, 2018 :
    I do agree with you, redlinecoatings, but: why don't they take gorilla glas for the backside when they already are using it on the front?

I know if you build glass you have to decide between tempering and flexibility. You cannot have both. A surface that is hard enough to resist Quartz sand will break easily on the other side. a surface that won't break can be scratched easily. This is the reason why everybody should cover his screen with a protective foil, even if the screen is gorilla glass.

But I can tell you how my 'event' did happen - remember I have the stock protective frame on. I am always carrying two phones with me, the OP6 and an iPhone 6 (so I am reminded by every single day why I love Android and my OP6) because it's the business phone off the company I am working for. When I came back home after a really f"**ed up day, I threw both phones on my sofa and I suppose the iPhone and not the pillows broke my OP6.

As most of you I am a first time user of a glass body smartphone, so I have to change my behaviour of treating my phone.

The good - and this is what I am relieved of is that a new glass back won't cost you €$¥£100s. I would also do it by myself, found a DIY set on eBay. But I think sending it to OP and receiving it back will go faster than me trying to repair something [e]1f609[/e]

Last edited: Oct 12, 2018

Budruel and Hida.A like this.
  6. 40gates Cupcake Oct 14, 2018

40gates, Oct 14, 2018 :
    To everyone who had their phone crack: How long did you have it before it started cracking?

I wonder if there is a period, after which you can consider it "safe".

7. Paschfire Jelly Bean Oct 14, 2018

Paschfire, Oct 14, 2018 :
    To everyone in this thread who claims "oh it broke all on its own, I didn't do anything", you're all full of sh*t.

In every case pictured above I can clearly see closely grouped stress fractures(cracks) at point of impact.
    whether it be from a drop, an impact, sitting on or bending the device, it's YOUR OWN FAULT.

Stop blaming OnePlus for your own carelessness.

Budruel likes this.
  8. N1539894327701 Cupcake Oct 18, 2018

N1539894327701, Oct 18, 2018 :
    I am surprised by this issue.
    Even my Phones back glass broken down without any fall. My phone was always in carbon cover provided by one plus.
    And it broke from the same place near volume button as seen in other cases.
    I surely feel there is some issue with the phone.
    Oneplus saying that they put gorilla glass, then how does it break down without any fall .
    Please answer.....

Also i had taken oneplus secure at the time of purchase of this phone. So does that cover broken back glass issue.

Attached Files:

9. deangilvin Jelly Bean Oct 18, 2018

deangilvin, Oct 18, 2018 :
    Not buying it just happened.

10. Kytharsis Lollipop Oct 18, 2018

Kytharsis, Oct 18, 2018 :
    Do you not see the blatant impact spot? And for the record, Gorilla Glass is known for scratch resistance, not fall resistance. Do your homework, bud.

deangilvin likes this.
  11. V1531956085539 Froyo Oct 18, 2018

V1531956085539, Oct 18, 2018 :
    As JerryRigEverything would say "glass is glass, and glass is fragile." The scratching on the other hand, really bothers me.

12. I1540004125906 Cupcake Oct 20, 2018

I1540004125906, Oct 20, 2018 :
    Hi All

This is Raj, while I was taking photo yesterday. My son has noticed rear panel crack; I was super surprised - I was so vigilant on this phone; I had never dropped it. My major surprise was - nothing happened to my case; but phone rear panel is having crack; exactly near volume button. So definitely it's a manufacturer error. Thanks to this thread, bit relaxing; f on yesterday I was thinking - how did it have a crack.

Please see the picture attached.

Would that be covered in warranty?

Please reply
    Raj

Attached Files:

13. Kytharsis Lollipop Oct 20, 2018

Kytharsis, Oct 20, 2018 :
    You should probably take off the sticker, just FYI.

14. xin-c Cupcake Oct 20, 2018

xin-c, Oct 20, 2018 :
    Keine Garantie die wollten von mir 45€ für die Reparatur.

Habe in eBay selbst ein BackCover gekauft für 29€ und es selber repariert.

Sieht jetzt wieder aus wie neu.

Bin ein wenig enttäuscht vom Service da ich den Glasbruch nicht verursacht habe.

15. MarcW1 Froyo Oct 20, 2018

MarcW1, Oct 20, 2018 :
    This thread seems to be an indictment for how little protection Oneplus' cases actually provide.

There are plenty of cases made for this phone that do offer great protection. Buy one of them and don't use Oneplus' own cases.

deangilvin likes this.
  16. SAYNAM JINDAL Cupcake Oct 20, 2018

17. Budruel Jelly Bean Oct 20, 2018

Budruel, Oct 20, 2018 :
    To read the thread in which you just published?

Well, I'll tell you a secret; you will have to pay out of pocket.
    78ace987cedf1c3275f33cdc9fd3a742d4919a43_hq.gif

deangilvin and Kytharsis like this.
  18. iOStoAndroid Gingerbread Oct 21, 2018

iOStoAndroid, Oct 21, 2018 :
    Thats why you put a clear film cover on the back too! Disperse the impact across entire surface and resist breaking. Simplest science. Film costs $2...

It's like putting scotch tape on your RC helicopter blades. Even if blades hit a tree branch, much likely to survive without blades breaking.

Duh!

First world solution..

fernsruben likes this.
  19. fernsruben Gingerbread Oct 21, 2018

20. Shaikshahir66 Gingerbread Oct 21, 2018