Sound Oneplus 6 sound too low in calls

1. Xelany
    Donut Sep 6, 2019

Xelany , Sep 6, 2019 :
    Hello there,

I have an issue with my oneplus 6, which I'm happy with except for one annoying problem

The sound during calls is very low, even when maxed out

I have to place my ear just in front of the speaker, and even then it is low, if I'm in a low noise environment it's okay, but if it's noisy around, I just can't hear anything

I made some tests, it is not related to the signal strength. I called someone who has a honor phone, we even switched phones; the sound on his phone is very good, you can hear clearly the other person, but on mine it is just way too low.

Does anyone has the same problem? Can anyone help?

Thanks,

2. Chinaroad
    Honeycomb Sep 6, 2019

Chinaroad , Sep 6, 2019 :
    i guess some dirt got on the speaker, try cleaning the grill with a toothbrush but do not force on it you can harm the speaker. Happened to me with the OP3 and 3T, and i had to disassemle them (it's was easy and don't do it with your OP6) to clean the speaker gril with alcohol and a tothbrush, but the problem with them was that the grill had micro holes so th dirt would stuck and forme like a dirt paste, but out of curiosity, did it happen all of a sudden, or progressively?

3. Xelany
    Donut Sep 16, 2019

Xelany , Sep 16, 2019 :
    Hey thanks for the reply,

Well to be honnest I can't tell if it happened after an update or progressively, I don't remember having the problem when I got the phone, but now I'm using it more and more and it's annoying to have such a low sound.

As I said I tested on someone else's phone, from another brand though, and the sound was so high compared to mine...

Thanks for the suggestion regarding dirt in the speaker, but I kinda doubt that, it really feels to me like it's not outputting a high enough sound due to software, because the speaker is certainly capable of delivering more than that.

I was wondering if someone else with OP6 had this or if the speaker sound was fine for them.

I'd like to keep the phone for a few years still, and I'm happy with it other than that, so hopefully I can fix it.

Edit: after looking closely it appears that the little holes of the speaker might be bottled, as you pointed out, there is no way to open the phone to look closer and eventually clean it inside?

Last edited: Sep 16, 2019

4. Xelany
    Donut Sep 16, 2019

5. Chinaroad
    Honeycomb Sep 16, 2019

Chinaroad , Sep 16, 2019 :
    Do you have double sided tape at least to close it or do you have a little bit of knowledge before you start, if yes do it, if not try to clean it as i advised you. If you open it and clean it, you'll probably find a mesh between the speaker and the grill, try cleaning it too. you can find disassembly guide on the net too, be soft on the back panel it can brake easely.

6. Artemus.
    Community Hero 2020 Sep 16, 2019

Artemus. , Sep 16, 2019 :
    I wouldn't advise him do a DIY cleaning.

7. Chinaroad
    Honeycomb Sep 16, 2019

Chinaroad , Sep 16, 2019 :
    i didnt, unless he knows what he's doing.

8. Xelany
    Donut Sep 16, 2019

Xelany , Sep 16, 2019 :
    Yeah I have some tools to teardown a smartphone, but I don't really know what I'm doing tbh, and the OP 6 seems a bit tricky to open.

So i picked up a toothbrush and started cleaning the speaker's little holes, it's midnight here so I can't test with anyone, but I just called a number who has a vocal "menu" so to speak, and it seems WAY better. I'll confirm that tomorrow by calling someone, and post the result here but I'm quite confident!

Last edited: Sep 17, 2019

Raresch and Artemus. like this.
  9. Xelany
    Donut Sep 17, 2019

Xelany , Sep 17, 2019 :
    Tested just now, the sound is loud and clear, I feel kinda stupid now for assuming it was software related^^
    The problem was quite simple, and the solution just as simple, thanks to Chinaroad for guiding me through this

Edit: how do you tag this thread as solved?

Last edited: Sep 17, 2019

Raresch and Artemus. like this.
  10. Chinaroad
    Honeycomb Sep 17, 2019

11. N1607194646595
    Cupcake Dec 12, 2020

N1607194646595 , Dec 12, 2020 :
    I can't believe this actually worked and really well too, same for me with my 6t and I'm amazed that just my toothbrush and a few seconds really fixed the problem

12. Manish1625
    Honeycomb Dec 13, 2020