OnePlus 6 - The Camera Blind Test Results

1. FlixbusLennart The Lab - OnePlus 6 Reviewer Jul 11, 2018

FlixbusLennart, Jul 11, 2018 :
    Cool that you want feedback. So. Here we go... :p

The number one thing that annoys me most about the portrait mode is quality. Not the image itself, also not the edge detection, but the quality of the faces I shoot. They always seem grainy, compressed and most times out of focus...

This issue might be linked to either
    A) Overall low quality of any taken images because of the post processing. Could be that the camera software itself is just super weak (hrhr, oilpaint...)
    B) Compressing the image to make the actual blurring process faster
    C) I'm a donkey and this is just imagination.

The low quality issue really gets on my nerves, especially since it occurs all the time. No matter the light, no matter the subject, no matter the time I take to shoot the image. Letting autofocus do its thing or tap to focus manually, no matter what. The image is always of low quality, underexposed or overexposed most of the time and even feels a bit out of focus.

The example shots are turned by 90° - no time to find out why, but it's not about rotation, rather quality itself... Please don't rip my head off for that lol

For comparison, here's a shot from today, uncompressed, portrait mode, subject didn't move, bright sunlight from above. I won't complain about exposure here, that's not fair for a shot as bright as this. But the lack of detail and focus is horrendous.

[​IMG]

Compare this to a front portrait picture I took in quite mediocre light. Front portrait has its fair share of problems, too, but come on.
    [​IMG]

Zoom in, you'll see the detail on facial hair, the colour reproduction and so on is much much better for front portrait.
    The guy in the back camera picture above has much darker hair in person, don't know why the colours are so flat in this image and the edges so washed out. I had this issue with my OnePlus 5, too, but it's become even more present for me, now that I can compare it to the front portrait.

What also bothers me about the camera is that there is a wholly unused 20MP sensor. It's just there and captures occasional depth information, in case one wants to use portrait. This seems like a weird decision, putting a camera that has no advantage. Just costs more and muh dual-camera... :O

Edit: I'll try to get posting permissions from one of the guys I took images of in more stable lighting conditions. They have the same problems and it's sad I cannot show them to you.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2018

AcmE85, idkwhoiam322 and Bouncer71 like this.
  2. argie1161 Eclair Jul 11, 2018

argie1161, Jul 11, 2018 :
    Trolls will be trolls. Some people just hate other people's good opinions because their own lives are shitty.

I've owned top phones (never Apple) and I think my newly acquired OP6 has a terrific camera. Is it better or worse ? Who gives a crap !! The only opinion that counts is mine.

3. Bouncer71 KitKat Jul 11, 2018

Bouncer71, Jul 11, 2018 :
    For color accuracy at any given light situation, a color checker chart can help for postprocessing...

4. CS_ Gingerbread Jul 11, 2018

CS_, Jul 11, 2018 :
    Some observations about the images shared on Google Drive.

All the images are of the resolution 4032x3024.

OnePlus has a 16 MP camera (4608x3456) and the stock camera app does not allow changing the resolution. Other 3 phones have 12 MP camera.

The images from OnePlus 6 have been cropped down to 12 MP.

This is most noticeable in Portrait mode, Group 5. The building with a signboard in the backgroud appears to be more far from the person in the picture, as compared to other photos.

FlixbusLennart and Walid.eldalil like this.
  5. Walid.eldalil Gingerbread Jul 11, 2018

Walid.eldalil, Jul 11, 2018 :
    fix/update the camera software with better processing for details specially facial details and this phone will be perfect. take notes from Google pixels on this regard. otherwise it's the pixel 3 for me once it's out.

FlixbusLennart likes this.
  6. CommanderROR Gingerbread Jul 11, 2018

CommanderROR, Jul 11, 2018 :
    Thanks for providing the results. Unlike others, I do not think DXO results are that helpful...they kept in praising Sony cameras back in the day, and tuose never turned out particularly good in the real world.

What the OnePlus tests could improve is, to provide a reference image taken with a really good camera, so we can judge what the subject actually looked like.

All in all, I don't think the OnePlus 6 takes bad photos, it's just tuned towards too much smoothing and too unnatural colours. Tone that back a bit, improve autofocus and some bugs, and the camera can compete very well with the big players. Maybe these blind tests can help, it all depends on how tue OnePlus engineers handle the results...

nmatheis and Walid.eldalil like this.
  7. CommanderROR Gingerbread Jul 11, 2018

CommanderROR, Jul 11, 2018 :
    I forgot:

One of the things many pros and users criticize with the OnePlus phones is, that the images only look good on the ohine screen. Ince you zoom in or display them on a bigger screen, you see a definite lack of details, see oversharpe artefacts etc.
    That is something that needs to be improved on, and probably not something you'll get as feeeback from these blind tests...

nmatheis and Walid.eldalil like this.
  8. rathp Honeycomb Jul 11, 2018

rathp, Jul 11, 2018 :
    how about a video blind test to complete the tests. ? Some users have the need of videos too.

Well it best to hold on to that for now isn't it OP. Let's get the focus issues and the softness issues sorted out first if we can. The test can wait and certainly can be forgotten once the 6t is out. Better not to fish in troubled waters .

9. Walid.eldalil Gingerbread Jul 11, 2018

Walid.eldalil, Jul 11, 2018 :
    if the 6T comes out with a better camera sensor I'll burn the my 6 and get a pixel 3 XL

10. ASCHENTE_V Ice Cream Sandwich Jul 11, 2018

ASCHENTE_V, Jul 11, 2018 :
    argie1161

Trolls will be trolls. Some people just hate other people's good opinions because their own lives are shitty.

I've owned top phones (never Apple) and I think my newly acquired OP6 has a terrific camera. Is it better or worse ? Who gives a crap !! The only opinion that counts is mine.

It's not terrific, it's mediocre and nothing can prove sth else. If it was at least good, nobody would install google cam to improve the camera algorithms, and I don't want to use various post processing apps or programms to improve the op 6 camera result. And that's fact. And when Pixel 3 comes out everybody will wait for a new google camera port, because it will be like a sky and bottom difference in camera. Did you have Pixel 2XL or P20 Pro? I have them and have op 6, and there is a huge gap between them

Last edited: Jul 11, 2018

AcmE85 likes this.
  11. Romario Oliveira Pires Froyo Jul 11, 2018

Romario Oliveira Pires, Jul 11, 2018 :
    I wonder why people often think that the iPhone x images look good. They look most beautiful imo but definitely not the best since the oversaturation makes the images look fake. I personally prefer true to life images even when they are less aesthetically pleasing. I honestly don't think iPhone x should be in these kind of comparisons since it just has a "crowd" pleasing camera with it's oversaturation (which can be accomplished on almost all flagships with software or simply with pro mode on camera apps)

nmatheis likes this.
  12. R1529754682409 Cupcake Jul 11, 2018

13. argie1161 Eclair Jul 11, 2018

argie1161, Jul 11, 2018 :
    Fair enough. My opinion and your opinion. Quality is in the eyes of the beholder. You are an ideologue, and nothing will change your mind. BTW, how many people have installed the Google cam? You actually know that, or is it just bullshit to make your point?

14. ASCHENTE_V Ice Cream Sandwich Jul 11, 2018

ASCHENTE_V, Jul 11, 2018 :
    I see it all over the one plus community. And you can visit xda and see it yourself

15. gaster KitKat Moderator Jul 12, 2018

gaster, Jul 12, 2018 :
    Nice to see the explanation Jimmy. I hope the feedback will really help you to improve the overall camera performance in the OnePlus devices for the present and the future. Thanks again for sharing this test.

16. Offline7 Ice Cream Sandwich Jul 12, 2018

Offline7, Jul 12, 2018 :
    I'm going to need evidence on that claim before taking you seriously haha

17. eye842 KitKat Jul 12, 2018

eye842, Jul 12, 2018 :
    I didn't do the test because it was to time consuming and tedious to compare the pictures, it is fun to see the results.

If the pictures wasn't placed in random order I think some people found out where OP6 was placed or wasn't placed and voted biased on their assumptions.

18. ASCHENTE_V Ice Cream Sandwich Jul 12, 2018

ASCHENTE_V, Jul 12, 2018 :
    Offline7

I'm going to need evidence on that claim before taking you seriously haha

What kind of evidence do you need? Do you need evidence to understand that Pixel 2 and P20 Pro have much better camera, camera algorithms and functions than op 6? OK. Let's take the fact that op 5 has 87 score in DxO and op 6 camera quality hasn't improved a lot. I doubt op 6 would have even got 94 score. Also I have all these smartphones in front of me and I see the results. Is one plus afraid of DxO after the result with op 5, lol? Because their experts really showed the weak possibilities of their camera, instead of community one plus employees who do blind tests on their own forum and expect approval from the users. And do you really expect a 250-350$ price less smartphone to have better camera? Are you kidding me?

Last edited: Jul 12, 2018

Sanyatoneplus likes this.
  19. Offline7 Ice Cream Sandwich Jul 12, 2018

Offline7, Jul 12, 2018 :
    Haha, no, I just find it hard to believe to believe that one would spend the money to purchase both a Pixel 2XL and P20 Pro, and I'm sure others would see the same.

Putting that aside though, the Samsung Galaxy S8 does have a DxO mark of 88, a single point higher than the OnePlus 5; are you calling the S8 a poor camera performer?

20. Offline7 Ice Cream Sandwich Jul 12, 2018

Offline7, Jul 12, 2018 :
    Adding to my reply, I would very well like evidence of your ownership