OnePlus 6 typing issue/bug

1. RajChandak10
    Donut Jun 11, 2018

RajChandak10 , Jun 11, 2018 :
    This has happened several times now. Right in the middle of typing a long Text, all of a sudden, I'm taken back to the home screen. All this while i thought I might have been pressing the home button accidentally. So i changed to gestures, but the issue has persisted. Specifically, this happened only while using WhatsApp. I'm not aware about other apps where this happens. And just to add, I use the normal 2 hand typing method - no swiping or anything. I'm currently on OxygenOS version 5.1.6.

EDIT : I tried to recreate this issue by using a standard notepad app. Here's what I found : If you have a faster typing speed, chances are you'll encouter this issue more. So if hit the space just below the spacebar and go on to type another letter, you'll see this happening. I think the S/W mistakens it as a Swipe up from the middle of the screen and takes you back to Home. So it isn't restricted to Whatsapp, but looks like a general problem.

UPDATE : One of the OnePlus Bug Hunters reached out to me and asked me to record my screen, while attempting to recreate the bug, and asked share the oem logs as well. I've done both, and I'm now awaiting their reply. Lets see how this goes.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2018

2. GMayukh
    Froyo Jun 11, 2018

GMayukh , Jun 11, 2018 :
    same with me. I used to think m pressing the home button accidentally too. but appears it's not the case

RajChandak10, diogoscarv and Jawe1212 like this.
  3. vaibhavvc
    Gingerbread Jun 11, 2018

vaibhavvc , Jun 11, 2018 :
    same. I took my phone to the service centre and they didn't do anything since they couldn't reproduce the issue

4. RajChandak10
    Donut Jun 11, 2018

Yeah, they'd have to fix it using a S/W update if it's a common issue.

5. izzykasha
    Lollipop Jun 11, 2018

izzykasha , Jun 11, 2018 :

K1527946566154

same with me. I used to think m pressing the home button accidentally too. but appears it's not the case​

vaibhavvc

same. I took my phone to the service centre and they didn't do anything since they couldn't reproduce the issue​

RajChandak10

Yeah, they'd have to fix it using a S/W update if it's a common issue.​

probably something for WhatsApp to look at, have you contacted WhatsApp with this issue?

or post a bug here

https://forums.oneplus.com/feedback/

6. mateok
    Gingerbread Jun 11, 2018

mateok , Jun 11, 2018 :
    similar issue here and I can't tell if it's been improved or not with the recent OTA update. I'd be typing and suddenly the keyboard would minimize or I'd be taken to the home screen. I have the virtual buttons reversed.

Since receiving 5.1.6, I have much less instance of this. Not sure if that's psychological or if I'm just getting used to the phone. Before that, I increased the keyboard height a little to help create some additional padding above the virtual buttons.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2018

RajChandak10 likes this.
  7. TheRealGamer
    Lollipop Jun 11, 2018

TheRealGamer , Jun 11, 2018 :
    I thought this issue can be resloved temporarily by downloading and using SwiftKey Keyboard. As it has faster typing speed as compared to Gboard.

Even I switched from Gboard to SwiftKey due to slow typing and lags on keyboard.

8. RajChandak10
    Donut Jun 11, 2018

Edited my post, looks like a general problem to me

9. Jawe1212
    Eclair Jun 11, 2018

Jawe1212 , Jun 11, 2018 :
    Me too! I thought I was hitting the home button. But then I remembered I enabled gestures.

RajChandak10 and diogoscarv like this.
  10. mj333
    Cupcake Jun 11, 2018

11. diogoscarv
    Donut Jun 11, 2018

RajChandak10 likes this.
  12. swaroop7562
    Donut Jun 11, 2018

RajChandak10 likes this.
  13. Predict23
    Ice Cream Sandwich Jun 11, 2018

RajChandak10 likes this.
  14. izzykasha
    Lollipop Jun 11, 2018

izzykasha , Jun 11, 2018 :
    who are you asking to fix this?

for information the community is made up or owners the community is owners of phones not oneplus staff..

this is where bugs have to be reported

https://forums.oneplus.com/feedback/

Predict23 likes this.
  15. mateok
    Gingerbread Jun 11, 2018

mateok , Jun 11, 2018 :
    I've always had all gestures turned off and have still experienced this, but only on the OP6. I came from the OP3.

16. F_Victor_Wai_Ho_Lim_ozAw
    Cupcake Jun 12, 2018

17. Anzar Kunhi
    Eclair Jul 19, 2019

Anzar Kunhi , Jul 19, 2019 :
    Even I have same problem too with my oneplus 6 whatsapp but also many apps including dialing numbers alls I have to press slight hard to get pressed for each alphabets and numbers. I thought it is issue with touch sensitivity after reading comments here now I came to know it's not the hardware issue of touch sensitivity