OnePlus 6T IMEI issues and upcoming 3G shutdown problem!

1. amynfrank
    Cupcake Jan 17, 2022

amynfrank , Jan 17, 2022 :
    I own two, OnePlus 6T devices purchased at the same time and I use Cricket Wireless on both devices. Cricket Wireless has over the past few months sent me text messages, as well as interrupted my service on only one of the phones, because they believe that my device is not compatible with their upcoming network; Cricket will be shutting down their 3g network by February 2022.

Cricket offers a couple of ways of checking if your phone will be compatible with their new network:
    1) https://www.cricketwireless.com/support/great-big-network/byod-compatibility.html
    2) https://www.cricketwireless.com/cell-phones/bring-your-phone

Using the first method, I can clearly see that the OnePlus 6T (A6013) says it is compatible.
    Using the second method, when I type in my current OnePlus 6T IMEIs I get conflicting responses.
    As I said, I have two 6Ts. One of the devices says it is compatible and hasn't had service interrupted. The device that has had service interrupted indeed shows an incompatible IMEI using their checker.

Interestingly enough, I had the device that shows as incompatible serviced by OnePlus on two occasions for the same issue. The second time they replaced the phone with another OnePlus 6T; the IMEI of this replacement phone is the one that says it is not compatible with Cricket. When I check the compatibility of the originally purchased phone, Cricket says that IT is compatible with the upcoming network.

Searching in the internet and reddit show that many people are having similar issues with various carriers. However, since I have two supposedly identical phones and am getting conflicting results, I thought I would share that here.

Numerous phone calls to customer service at both Cricket and OnePlus have yielded nothing. Cricket tells me to buy a new phone, OnePlus tells me to call Cricket. I just had a Chat session with OnePlus and was told to post here to get the developers attention (wasn't that the point of the Chat session?...but I digress :)

OnePlus -- here is a Reference ID: 211206-002287 of my initial request from December 2021. Please feel free to contact me to discuss further.

Francisco

2. drl431
    Moderator, Community Hero 2020 Moderator Jan 17, 2022

3. amynfrank
    Cupcake Jan 18, 2022

4. drl431
    Moderator, Community Hero 2020 Moderator Jan 18, 2022

drl431 , via OnePlus 6 , Jan 18, 2022 :
    Ok, you should be fine. Those warnings are meant for people still using 3G phones, or 4G phones that don't have VoLTE capability.

5. amynfrank
    Cupcake Jan 19, 2022

amynfrank , Jan 19, 2022 :
    You'd think, but that would be incorrect.

Cricket Wireless is using an IMEI database to shutdown lines where they don't think that the phone is compatible...as happened to me AGAIN TODAY. Callers to my number were given a message about me not taking calls at this time. When I tried to call out...you guessed it...it went to Cricket Wireless Customer Support. Had to spend another 30 minutes getting them to reset the phone line from disabled. Apparently, even though the shutdown is not supposed to occur until February of 2022, they are doing it now. Their solution is to buy a new phone...even if my OnePlus 6T is listed in their list of compatible models, but the IMEI of this specific phone says otherwise.

In my view, OnePlus needs to coordinate with Cricket Wireless to fix their IMEI database so that IMEIs for OnePlus 6Ts are not considered incompatible or they need to provide me with a OnePlus 6T phone with an IMEI # that is compatible with Cricket Wireless (since my original phone's IMEI shows as compatible by Cricket Wireless).

I am fairly sure that I am not the only person experiencing IMEI database issues, as I've seen messages with people that have even newer OnePlus model phones. So fixing the IMEI database would help more people.

6. Tobikage
    General Support Expert Award 2021 Jan 19, 2022

Tobikage , Jan 19, 2022 :
    Nothing OnePlus can do about it.....so....if you want to stay with cricket , you're gonna need to get a new phone which cricket would prefer you get from them.

It's all about the monies.

drl431 likes this.
  7. drl431
    Moderator, Community Hero 2020 Moderator Jan 19, 2022

drl431 , via OnePlus 6 , Jan 19, 2022 :
    Seems like it's up to Cricket to fix their data base. Telling you to buy a new phone is a bad answer.

Tobikage likes this.
  8. Tobikage
    General Support Expert Award 2021 Jan 19, 2022

Tobikage , Jan 19, 2022 :
    Please don't expect companies that

A) OnePlus : Will sell you new phone
    and
    B) Cricket : Will also sell you a new phone

to coordinate and help you so you do not have to buy a new phone.

That's not the world we live in.

drl431 likes this.