OnePlus 6T is ROOTED after T-Mobile upgrade to Android 11?? Really?? Or LG ThinQ App problem??

1. Enma Ai
    Donut Dec 1, 2021

Enma Ai , Dec 1, 2021 :
    Hello, I am apparently not alone, and well...I'm rather upset. After receiving an Over-The-Air upgrade to Android 11 from T-Mobile about 3-4 days ago, I opened a third-party app named LG ThinQ (version 4.0.10660)** on my phone. When I tried to open that app, I got a pop-up message: "Cannot run on a rooted device" 😲

OnePlus, that upgrade has fouled up my device. According to the reply to my support email to LG, they said this:

"The ThinQ app cannot run on security-poor rooted phones. Restricting the execution of SmartThinQ applications on rooted devices is a security measure for the safe use of our customers. It is also an internationally reviewed essential for mobile app security assessment. Rooted devices can use superuser privileges without prior warning and can be a threat to eavesdropping or using information. Therefore, to protect consumers from potential security threats, they (LG's apps, I assume) are restricted from running on devices with modified operating systems. Privilege escalation or execution on a tampered device (emphasis is mine) that is not in a secure environment (again, emphasis is mine) is not considered normal use. Even if you are not rooted, it can be recognized as rooted. Although you did not root/jailbreak, there may be contents developed as a way to bypass rooting/jailbreaking in other apps you have installed. As ThinQ's security routines have been strengthened, it has been modified to block behavior on non-genuine Android OS. Therefore, it may not run if the OS is changed by the smartphone manufacturer. (Maker custom firmware). In this case, we recommend that you contact the smartphone manufacturer. (again--emphasis is mine) Rooting restrictions are for customer information security. Thank you for your understanding."

With the above information in mind...please, OnePlus...HELP! Why has this OTA upgrade to Android 11 made my phone appear ROOTED?? IS IT rooted?? How can you FIX this issue, please??

Thank you, please take positive action to correct this problem...quickly as possible, if possible!

**NOTE: There may be other apps that will recreate this error, but I have not tried other apps. Having even one app tell me my phone is rooted--rooted without my knowledge (!!)--is scary enough!

Last edited: Dec 8, 2021

reidclark, X1562010003848 and saldil like this.
  2. psygarden
    The Lab Reviewer - OnePlus 9RT 5G Dec 1, 2021

Enma Ai likes this.
  3. Enma Ai
    Donut Dec 1, 2021

Enma Ai , Dec 1, 2021 :
    psygarden, thank you. I submitted a Bug Report, just now, so I appreciate your advice. As T-Mobile has provided me with only one OTA OS upgrade (to Android 11), I don't hold out much hope of another (and faster) update. So, hopefully, OnePlus can work this out (with LG's help!!) and get the app working again! Much obliged, thanks again!

saldil and psygarden like this.
  4. psygarden
    The Lab Reviewer - OnePlus 9RT 5G Dec 1, 2021

psygarden , via OnePlus 8T Aquamarine Green , Dec 1, 2021 :
    If I'm correct, T-Mobile holds the cards when it comes to updates for T-Mobile devices, so OnePlus can't do much about it. I can be wrong though, try contacting some other T-Mobile users for clarification regarding the same.
    I hope your issue gets resolved soon.
    Thanks.

Tokolozi, Artemus and Enma Ai like this.
  5. M1542939311653 , via OnePlus 6T T-Mobile , Dec 2, 2021 :
    Same issue here, one plus 6t with T mobile (unlocked). After the update Lg tv app , work related apps bank related apps are not working.. also phone is laggy in general after update even though I have 30 gb free memory.

Hope one plus /t mobile fixes the issue soon.

Enma Ai, saldil and M1638502542826 like this.
  6. M1638502542826
    Cupcake Dec 5, 2021

M1638502542826 , Dec 5, 2021 :
    I am having same issues. Some bank apps no longer work. Other bank apps no longer allow fingerprint authentication. Not sure if there are other apps that no longer work.

Q1639232974499 and Enma Ai like this.
  7. saldil
    Donut Dec 6, 2021

saldil , via OnePlus 6T T-Mobile , Dec 6, 2021 :
    I'm having the same issue here. T-mobile one plus 6t, unlocked, and the recent update made work related apps and banking apps to stop working showing the message that my device is rooted.

This is so frustrating.

Q1639232974499 and Enma Ai like this.
  8. Enma Ai
    Donut Dec 6, 2021

Enma Ai , Dec 6, 2021 :
    saldil, "frustrating" is putting it mildly; this is more like exasperating (intensely irritating and frustrating). I share your frustration, along with previous posters. T-Mobile says contact LG, LG says contact OnePlus, OnePlus says contact LG! Around and around and around she goes, where she stops, nobody knows! I feel like I'm riding a merry-go-round! No one seems willing to "take ownership" of the problem. No one seems willing to admit a programming or coding mistake may have been made in the LG ThinQ app, the Android 11 update, or both! Result: a nauseating, endless loop of annoyance. It's time for OnePlus and LG to "put their heads together" and figure out: WHAT HAPPENED?? 😵

saldil likes this.
  9. saldil
    Donut Dec 6, 2021

saldil , via OnePlus 6T T-Mobile , Dec 6, 2021 :
    The annoying thins is that it is indeed rooted. If you go to your settings, then about phone, then press build number seven times your phone would enter developer mode.

I agree it is super annoying, especially that in my country we have to show that we are vaccinated to go anywhere, and that app is not working due to my phone being rooted !

Enma Ai likes this.
  10. Enma Ai , via OnePlus 6T T-Mobile , Dec 6, 2021 :
    saldil, that's why I've never gone into "Developer mode" with my phone. I've always been afraid of how entering "Developer mode" might affect my phone's warranty coverage, capabilities, operation, etc. When T-Mobile made it possible to "unlock" phones, I declined that, too. Even my Norton 360 app's Device Security says, "No rooted device detected." Something is "not playing well together"--the Android 11 update, the LG ThinQ App, or both. OnePlus and LG must rectify this, if their aim really is customer satisfaction. We didn't break our devices...all we did was update them... 😩

11. sankalpbhandari
    Cupcake Dec 8, 2021

Enma Ai likes this.
  12. Last edited: Dec 12, 2021

13. X1562010003848
    Cupcake Dec 12, 2021

X1562010003848 , Dec 12, 2021 :
    Same problem, different app.

Enma Ai likes this.
  14. Enma Ai
    Donut Dec 13, 2021

Enma Ai , via OnePlus 6T T-Mobile , Dec 13, 2021 :
    Several of these comments make me wonder if this issue was caused by the Android 11 update, rather than specific app(s). Impression I got from local T-Mobile store is that the update was "pushed out by Google," the "Android gurus"...but how--and who--can Android users complain to about suspected glitches like this?? Maybe Google Developers aren't even aware that Android 11 "pushes" are possibly causing these glitches, and how many users are being negatively impacted?? Does OnePlus coordinate problems like this with the Google Android Developers?? Sometimes, I feel like crushing ALL my Android devices under a steamroller! 🤪🤬

X1562010003848 likes this.
  15. Enma Ai
    Donut Dec 13, 2021

Enma Ai , via OnePlus 6T T-Mobile , Dec 13, 2021 :
    Further development--about an hour ago, I checked my phone for System Updates. There was a November 2021 Security Update notification, which I installed immediately. I then uninstalled the LG ThinQ app, restarted the phone, then downloaded and reinstalled the LG ThinQ app.

Installing the November 2021 Security Update had no impact on the ThinQ app; it still gives the error, "Cannot run on a rooted device".

Edited. Forgot to include this--a screenshot of the Security Update my device received on 12.12.21 (which did not fix the "Cannot run on a rooted device" issue).

Screenshot20211212.jpg

Last edited: Dec 13, 2021

16. fvaldivia
    Cupcake Dec 14, 2021

fvaldivia , Dec 14, 2021 :
    I just updated to the November patch and have the same problem with banking apps

17. Enma Ai
    Donut Dec 15, 2021

Enma Ai , Dec 15, 2021 :
    FOR THE DEVELOPER TEAM (Ref OnePlus Support email, Dec 14, 2021, 07:46 AM, Subject > Re: Latest OTA Issues || LG ThinQ app fails after Android 11 Update)

Below are screenshots pertinent to ONLY Case ID: 211207-000779 (in email referenced above, N. James wrote, "Regarding your concern, we request you to please share the issue details in our community forum page. The developer team will look into it and try to fix the issue in the upcoming OTA update. Please stay rest assured." (That quote is verbatim.) Therefore--again--below are screenshots pertinent to ONLY the Case ID above. This seems like a rather odd way to go about this; but...that's what "N. James" told me to do. Thanks...and please...hurry.

HomePage2.jpg AppInfoPageLGThinQ.jpg AboutPhonePage.jpg AndroidVersionPage.jpg

One more picture below, to show you that my OnePlus 6T IS NOT ROOTED. (This screenshot is of an app I downloaded on the Google Play Store, showing the device is not rooted. After capturing this screenshot I deleted that app, which is called Root Checker Basic.)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 16, 2021

18. R1639850216910
    Cupcake Dec 18, 2021

R1639850216910 , Dec 18, 2021 :
    same issue here, 6T on TMobile, showing as rooted after 11 over the air upgrade. No new app installs. Tried wiping the cache and other suggestions, no luck.

19. Enma Ai
    Donut Dec 21, 2021

Enma Ai , Dec 21, 2021 :
    OnePlus Developers - I am posting the following FOLLOW-UP info per "Nathan James" email request. PLEASE READ--DO NOT CLOSE THE CASE ID, 211207-000779.

(ICON LINK DELETED)Nathan James 12/21/2021 07:05 PM
    Hi (NAME DELETED),

Thank you for contacting OnePlus Customer Support.

Thank you for reverting to us. Please specify the issue details in our community forum page. The developer team will look into it and try to fix the issue in the upcoming OTA update. Please stay rest assured.

Community forum link : (LINK DELETED)

Wish you a wonderful day ahead !

Regards,
    Nathan James.

(ICON LINK & NAME DELETED) 12/19/2021 01:03 AM
    Hello Nathan James, please add the following to Case ID: 211207-00779.

Another Android app, ResMed myAir, version 2.2.1.0.376.16, last night also displayed an error message on my OnePlus 6T: "We detected that your smart device is "rooted." You can find more information in the Terms of Use." (I saw that error last night for the first time.)

FOR DEVELOPERS, NOTE: This is the only information I have on the ResMed myAir "rooted device" error.

20. jeff.parsons
    Cupcake Dec 21, 2021

jeff.parsons , Dec 21, 2021 :
    Same issue here. After T-Mobile update to 11, my work app won't let me log in, saying my device has been tampered with. Bank apps not working correctly. WHEN is the update to fix this supposed to happen? Screenshot_20211215-101535.jpg

saldil likes this.