OnePlus 7 Discussion & Rumors

1. STROBOLKOP
    Cupcake Apr 21, 2019

STROBOLKOP , Apr 21, 2019 :
    I just find the popup selfie cam interesting. A notchless screen looks better but I don't think i want a mechanic system. It might add some unwanted complications: less dust- and waterproof, less internal room or even breaking over period.

A good phone (for me) means that it is reliable even over long periods of time. Adding the popup selfie cam just feels like making it less reliable.

I would ask if we even need a selfie cam, I don't use it. How about you guys? Do you use it enough to say you need it on a phone? If you need it, do you feel this is a good implementation?

best of both worlds would be a futuristic under display cam ;)

2. Discostu
    Jelly Bean Apr 22, 2019

Discostu , Apr 22, 2019 :
    Because there needs to be a solid dedicated camera in addition to having either a wide angle, telephoto or both lenses. The 48mp system they are purportedly using is one of the newish Sony sensors that had become the norm

D1555455654506 likes this.
  3. Aziz_Amin_Oneplus
    Jelly Bean Apr 22, 2019

Aziz_Amin_Oneplus , Apr 22, 2019 :
    Hmm, lets see how its goes when the smartphone is released.

4. Brownz
    Honeycomb Apr 22, 2019

5. Cheetosdust
    Moderator, Content Coordinator Moderator Writers' Club Apr 22, 2019

6. Brownz
    Honeycomb Apr 22, 2019

Brownz , Apr 22, 2019 :
    he's got a very good record for leaking stuff to be fair to him and no idea but seems although same design as 6t they are putting some decent stuff into it

7. Cheetosdust
    Moderator, Content Coordinator Moderator Writers' Club Apr 22, 2019

Cheetosdust , Apr 22, 2019 :
    [​IMG]
    "The OnePlus 7 will have a ‘breakthrough’ display and a beefed-up 5G version" (Exclusive The Verge)

"CEO Pete Lau promises both new phones will have ‘a whole new display which has to be seen to be believed’"

"“The first time I saw it myself,” the CEO says, “I was stunned.” Other than promising that the OnePlus 7 display will be “super-smooth and very crisp,” OnePlus wouldn’t elaborate on the underlying specs. However, leaks and rumors of 90Hz screens are already floating about, which would be in accord with the teasers about unprecedented smoothness."

Saliou likes this.
  8. Aziz_Amin_Oneplus
    Jelly Bean Apr 22, 2019

Aziz_Amin_Oneplus , Apr 22, 2019 :
    You are saying Oneplus 7 will have a whole new display but the leaks are coming with water drop notch so that's the old design?

9. bighap
    Eclair Apr 22, 2019

bighap , Apr 22, 2019 :
    The article was updated after it was originally posted. Only the pro model will have the new display .

meatandy likes this.
  10. meatandy
    Oreo Apr 22, 2019

meatandy , Apr 22, 2019 :
    Threads merged by sheer will.:D:p

Sargo and STROBOLKOP like this.
  11. Brownz
    Honeycomb Apr 22, 2019

Brownz , Apr 22, 2019 :
    I'm not liking the fact the pro could be around same price as Samsung s10 which is £799

12. fazerboy0_3
    Honeycomb Apr 22, 2019

fazerboy0_3 , Apr 22, 2019 :
    If like rumours suggest Then it better be on par with P30 Pro as the current reason was price I think with most I'm more than happy with a 1080 screen all this 4k UHD crap on 7 inch screen .. Nah... Camera's and price are what a lot of people look at . So if the OP7 Pro is anything above 700 Time to say goodbye I love the brand and the support has always been wicked. Tomorrow will tell when announced I'm in need of a new phone so what will it be only time will tell Thoughts on price etcetera people

13. Discostu
    Jelly Bean Apr 22, 2019

Discostu , Apr 22, 2019 :
    Pete's tweet about the display seems... Odd. "[Display] technology is 3 x the cost of other flagships"

3 x? That seems a little out there. Time will tell though

Screenshot_20190423-070518__01.jpg

14. Kareem Hussaini
    Froyo Apr 23, 2019

Kareem Hussaini , Apr 23, 2019 :
    I hope there are three versions of OnePlus 7, and the 5g variant and Pro variant are different... Wasn't the launch of the device supposed to be announced today?

f1982 likes this.
  15. David Y.
    Jelly Bean Apr 23, 2019

David Y. , Apr 23, 2019 :
    Later today.

16. meatandy
    Oreo Apr 23, 2019

meatandy , Apr 23, 2019 :
    From a wholesale cost of $15 to $45 seems legit.

Do I have time to get some sleep ?

17. David Y.
    Jelly Bean Apr 23, 2019

David Y. , Apr 23, 2019 :
    You can catch up with the news with a morning coffee Andy. Sleep tight.

18. Discostu
    Jelly Bean Apr 23, 2019

Discostu , Apr 23, 2019 :
    Good point. For some reason in my head the display was costing in the 100s... no idea where that thought came from. Blame sleep deprivation

iNtEnSePL likes this.
  19. f1982
    Ice Cream Sandwich Apr 23, 2019

f1982 , Apr 23, 2019 :
    We had chins and foreheads - plenty of camera space.
    Then we had foreheads that were slimmed down to just tall enough for the camera.
    Then we had the camera put in the chin to get an even smaller forehead.
    Then we got the notch so the screen went right to the top corners, but we got the camera in the 'correct' position (top, middle).
    Then we got waterdrop notches (and similar) which made the notch as small and un-intrusive as possible.
    Then we got sliders which enabled full screen phones but a camera only when needed.
    Then we got punch holes which were poorly-implemented notches for people who wanted to say they 'didn't have a notch'.
    Then we got pop outs as an alternative to a slider.

Every incremental step in design choice is all dancing around the fact that an under-display camera isn't available yet. It's what everyone is waiting for and working towards. But it needs a display which is capable of not only turning off it's pixels over the camera underneath, but doing so in a way which makes it optically clear. At the moment that's not possible. It will likely need a new form of screen tech, if it's possible at all. With current tech any photo taken through the screen would look like it's been taken through a mesh - you'd always get a photo of the pixels overlaid on top of the photo of the scene.

I predict what we may get is some technology which 'throws' light from the surrounding screen into the 'hole' that's needed for the camera where there would be no actual pixels to block the light during photo taking. It would be poor quality detail compared to the rest of the screen, but arguably much better looking that a big black dot we have at the moment with punch holes.

Discostu likes this.
  20. f1982
    Ice Cream Sandwich Apr 23, 2019

f1982 , Apr 23, 2019 :
    I would hope so too. 5G is wanted by a grand total of about 7 people. It's a gimmick which increases the cost of the device and actually makes it worse. It drains battery trying to connect to a network that doesn't exist.
    The problem is the pro will utilise 5G as part of it's marketing. Also it's expensive to do an extra variant with different internal hardware. So I would be very surprised if the Pro wasn't 5G.

Kareem Hussaini likes this.