OnePlus 7 pro 4g battery drain

1. Rikinpatel459
    Gingerbread Jun 4, 2019

Rikinpatel459 , Jun 4, 2019 :
    I currently have the OP7 pro the battery on the phone on WiFi is great as I get 7hr SOT with 90hz and auto switch with 10 percent remaining.. however if I have WiFi off and 4g on the battery is crazy as I only get 3hrs SOT

has anyone noticed this as it a problem. I think OnePlus need to sort out the optimization for 4G

thanks

dvh-96 likes this.
  2. pgrey
    Ice Cream Sandwich Jun 4, 2019

pgrey , Jun 4, 2019 :
    I bet your 4G signal is "weak", right?
    Try monitoring it, using a tool, such as "Network Cell Info Lite", for actual dBm levels, which should give you a good "baseline", with real numbers (the signal-gauge isn't sufficient for this).

Cell phones have had this problem since the first-gen, when in areas of low-signal, they're constantly "searching" for a better tower, or pulling some data over the weak connection; either way, this scenario is VERY battery intensive.
    This is NOT limited to OP, but presents itself in almost any phone, in this same weak-signal scenario, I've seen it on numerous phones, over the years, it's a VERY hard engineering problem to solve (hence the fact that all phones still present the problem, to this day).

3. Rikinpatel459
    Gingerbread Jun 5, 2019

Rikinpatel459 , Jun 5, 2019 :
    funny enough I was in college when my data was on and I am pretty sure that I was getting 4bars at least so the network strength was good . I think it is the fact that 4G affects the battery I tried putting the phone on 2g and 3g but I don't have the option in my settings .

4. pgrey
    Ice Cream Sandwich Jun 6, 2019

pgrey , Jun 6, 2019 :
    @Rikinpatel459
    "Bars" are NOT equal to dBm. They're an "extremely crude" measurement of signal, and it's very hard to see if your phone is ranging, between say 1-4 bars, without an app, IME.

Try installing the app I mentioned, and see what sort of "actual values" you get. If I remember right, 4 bars is -87, or was, back at some point.
    If you're getting > -100dBm or so, that's a "decent enough" 4G/LTE signal, IME, but it's not uncommon for it to "drop into" values like -117, or -122, or thereabouts, and then the radio is using a LOT of power, trying to find a better signal/band.
    You don't want to drop it to 3G (does your carrier even support 2G now?), IMO, or at least I wouldn't, even though there are ways to do it, it's ideal to "range between" them, as per which signal is best, at any given time/place.

If you want to really limit the "4G signal battery drain", turn off your cell-data, when you're not using it, the battery use will go WAY, WAY down, believe me ;-]

5. Rikinpatel459
    Gingerbread Jun 6, 2019

Rikinpatel459 , Jun 6, 2019 :
    thanks bro