OnePlus 7 Pro - 6GB vs 8GB

1. Adam276 Gingerbread May 20, 2019

Adam276, May 20, 2019 :
    Forget about price difference or storage. Have there been any performance tests of the difference between 6GB or 8GB?

From what I understand, the OS itself is very aggressive in shutting down background apps but nearing the 6 to 8GB usage is still hard to do, unless you run 20+ apps at the same time.

Given Pixels still come with 4GB, wouldn't 6GB be more than enough?

buenso likes this.
  2. Harpreet541999 Gingerbread May 20, 2019

Harpreet541999, May 20, 2019 :
    I bought 8gb version to future proof it. Even the midrange phones from Realme, Xiaomi have up to 8gb of ram. So, there is no point in having 6gb "only" in a flagship. I'd suggest you go with 8gb and it also comes with the added storage benefit.

3. Coastie Honeycomb May 20, 2019

Coastie, May 20, 2019 :
    you're not going to see a performance difference running an app between 6 and 8gb, you'll just notice, that you'll be able to keep more things running at once, but even if the foreground app needs to reload, once it is loaded, you won't see a difference in that app between 6 and 8gb.

4. Jjallday Gingerbread May 20, 2019

Jjallday, May 20, 2019 :
    yeah the difference is in the future, 4gb is outdated to where games and phone apps are eating a lot of ram, 6 is ideal for now but 8gb is for if you plan on having the phone for years. my pixel crashes a lot with high intensity games.

5. ilija.dobre Cupcake Jun 18, 2019

ilija.dobre, Jun 18, 2019 :
    I'm also thinking of 6gb variant. I don't want to be a 'victim' of RAM race. I do not play games and hope it will cover me for next 2-2,5 years.

6. Adriano13 Cupcake Jun 18, 2019

Adriano13, Jun 18, 2019 :
    the only time someone might notice difference between 6gb and 8gb ram is if you keep loads of apps open or play a really heavy graphics game.

good thing about OnePlus is that it's near stock and doesn't have high ram usage out of the box compared to companies like Samsung. S10 had around 4gb ram usage already while this had barely 2.7gb.

R.Dineen likes this.
  7. GreenIcePhoenix Gingerbread Jun 19, 2019

GreenIcePhoenix, Jun 19, 2019 :
    I think 6 gb ram is good enough. I had a OnePlus 3 earlier and it was performing well with 6 gb ram.
    Though 6 gb ram is good for those who don't play heavy games or will not have more than 10 apps running at the same time, in my opinion going for the 8 gb version would be a better investment.

Not only you get additional ram that you might need next year (maybe), you also get double storage i.e. a massive 256 gb UFS 3.0 storage. That alone compelled me to get a 8 + 256 model of OnePlus 7 pro. Now, the 12 + 256 varient on the other hand seems like something you don't need at the moment.

R.Dineen and roryrudy like this.
  8. krazor8x Eclair Jun 19, 2019

krazor8x, Jun 19, 2019 :
    I got 12.. which is more than what I have in my work laptop..(8) just to make sure that in a few years time I can run and do whatever I want

R.Dineen likes this.
  9. technerd71 Eclair Jun 19, 2019

technerd71, Jun 19, 2019 :
    I am going to say that every bit of ram makes a difference.

It makes me laugh when people use the Pixel as a justification for low ram. I had a Pixel 3XL and what a nightmare. Multiple hardware failures from the start and even with SD845 it struggled at times. 3-4 gb of ram is the bare minimum for a decent experience.

You will notice a big difference in from 4 to 6 but from 6 to 8 it will be more subtle but I could tell.

I bought the 12gb ram 7 pro and it is the fastest phone I have ever had. I had a S10+ with 8gb ram I sold to get this. It is noticeably faster than the S10+ and it is a great and fast phone.

All I can say is in my experience more ram is always better. The processor in these phones is fast enough that most likely that won't ever be a bottleneck.

Shery4life and R.Dineen like this.
  10. Adriano13 Cupcake Jun 19, 2019

Adriano13, Jun 19, 2019 :
    4gb is definitely too low in today's world, I've come from s8+ and I definitely agree with you. no one should consider 4gb if they are a heavy user, that should only be considered for light usage.

I've tried both S10+ and this OnePlus 7 pro and I can say both are quick. both 8gb versions and they stand out in different ways. the OnePlus definitely out does the S10+ in speed and fluidness even though I didn't really experience any lag with the S10+.

technerd71 and R.Dineen like this.
  11. buenso Cupcake Jul 13, 2019

buenso, Jul 13, 2019 :
    Adam276

Forget about price difference or storage. Have there been any performance tests of the difference between 6GB or 8GB?

From what I understand, the OS itself is very aggressive in shutting down background apps but nearing the 6 to 8GB usage is still hard to do, unless you run 20+ apps at the same time.

Given Pixels still come with 4GB, wouldn't 6GB be more than enough?

ilija.dobre

I'm also thinking of 6gb variant. I don't want to be a 'victim' of RAM race. I do not play games and hope it will cover me for next 2-2,5 years.

I would like to have the same opinion regarding the need of ram as you guys.
    Therefore I did purchased the non pro version of oneplus 7 with 6gb of ram and 128 storage.
    I´m not a heavy user, and I really just use my phone to check mails and light surfing (no gaming or multitasking)
    With all recent programs closed, I´m getting a ram usage between 67 and 71% meaning 1.5gb ram left to play with.
    https://pasteboard.co/InPfKTp.jpg
    https://pasteboard.co/InPwEMD.jpg
    It would be nice if some 8 and 12gb ram users posted their results to compare, as I´m still considering upgrading to the Pro version.

Edit: I've just ordered the pro 6gb version. I will post results from ram usage when it has arrived.
    With my limited usage I doubt I will miss the extra ram..

Last edited: Jul 17, 2019

12. buenso Cupcake Jul 21, 2019

buenso, Jul 21, 2019 :
    Hi folks

My 1+7pro 6gb just arrived, and though I obviously aren't able to compare it to higher ram models, I must say, that it seems a bit faster and smother, than my non-pro 6gb.

Again, with my limited needs, I'm almost sure that 6gb of ram is more than enough for me..

But: Dang it, it's big.

Actually, I first thought that the non-pro was to "tall" to use one-handed.

But this Pro version is both taller and wider and definitetly not build for one hand usage..

13. DeathMoJo Gingerbread Jul 21, 2019

DeathMoJo, Jul 21, 2019 :
    Only reason I went with the 8gb over the 6gb was the increased storage space from 128gb to 256gb. For $30 usd it was worth the increase.

roarwolfy likes this.
  14. roarwolfy Cupcake Jul 22, 2019

roarwolfy, Jul 22, 2019 :
    So I am new here and will be buying my first 1+ phone within a day or two. My storage decision was easy, I easily ate 128GB 64GB (internal) + 64GB SD Card easy on my ole V20. Now the final decision while I wait for my refund from drop so I can buy this phone is 8GB vs 12GB of ram. I know 12GB is massive overkill but would ram optimization feature on the phone still make usage of that extra unused space

15. buenso Cupcake Jul 22, 2019

buenso, Jul 22, 2019 :
    So I got the Pro version yesterday. (6gb ram and 128gb Storage)

at the moment i have 1.469gb of free ram

1563773408855.jpg

16. Adriano13 Cupcake Jul 30, 2019

Adriano13, Jul 30, 2019 :
    12gb only if you tend to leave many appe open or looking to keep it long term. 12gb gives you more freedom and while 8gb should be enough it's always better to have more if you can afford it.

17. G_Mahad_Mohamed_RNnq Cupcake Jul 30, 2019

G_Mahad_Mohamed_RNnq, Jul 30, 2019 :
    Go for 8gb. Reasons are Resale value, bigger storage (double the storage than 6gb variant),Long term use is better(keeps your phone smoother) and some apps may require 8gb to run(mostly newer heavy games ehen they get optimized like fortnite or pubg maybe fancy car games). After all u dont have to worry and most of all that storage capacity wont run low on 8gb.

18. ceejaycee Gingerbread Jul 31, 2019

ceejaycee, Jul 31, 2019 :
    I just ordered a 7 Pro today. I got the 8 +256. I kinda think that the 12 + 256 is a bit of overkill also.