OnePlus 7 Pro - A Review

1. brian.sedore Honeycomb Jun 3, 2019

brian.sedore, Jun 3, 2019 :
    I was lucky enough to win a device from OnePlus and was invited to share my thoughts on it. It won't be as in-depth as the Lab reviews and I don't plan on listing off specs or going over the obvious things, but I will be putting on my own perspective on these 4 topics:
    1. Unboxing
    2. Hardware
    3. Software
    4. Camera
    Unboxing

It looks like they have also done the unboxing for us on the official OnePlus site and other lab reviewers have great photos. So forgive me if mine is brief.

It was a nice experience for the most part. Unfortunately, it looks like the box was possibly tampered with as the packaging surrounding the power cable was crunched and some possible finger prints on the back of the device itself.

IMG_20190528_191236_Upload.jpg
    (The majority of the items in the box. Strangely, the packaging around the power cable was crunched.)

It's nice to see the trend of providing a case with the device. My first OnePlus device was the 5T and it also came with a case. I remember not being impressed with the 5T's case and read on the forums that several users complained of scratches coming from it. The 7 Pro's case seems more rubbery and I actually plan on using it until a possible replacement is ordered. The official ones from OnePlus tend to be nice fits, of course, with nice designs. dbrand also has some an interesting option with several designs. Also included on the device is a screen protector, which is another thumbs up. Well done, OnePlus.

The power brick is really earning that name. It's a beast of a brick. Bigger than the 5T's Dash Charge adapter. You might need two free sockets to use this fella.

IMG_20190528_192520_Upload.jpg
    (A much appreciated case as has been the trend with previous OnePlus phones. Beware of that massive power brick.)

Anyway, after all said and done, I was staring at all of the components that came in the box for the OnePlus 7 Pro and they were all in good condition. Even if there was a crunched package, it's hard to complain about a gifted device.

Hardware

The device that was sent was the Nebula Blue option. I was debating between this and the Mirror Gray since there was no red or white (maybe a special future release). I figured if I really got sick of that blue, I could always cover it with a case. So Nebula Blue it is.

IMG_3513_Upload.jpg
    (That blue is slick.)

The back is glass and I found it very slippery. First thing I did was slap on that clear case that was provided. On the other hand, it immediately takes away that shiny finish. Better safe than sorry though.

Pros for the hardware for me are as follows. It feels like a very sturdy build, as did the 5T. I miss the material the back was made from on the 5T, but with a case I won't know the difference. The quality of the screen is great. The vibration motor has been improved. When I first heard about the vibration motor, I thought "who cares?", but it really is a better feel from the 5T. Finally, the alert slider is much easier to slide than compared to the 5T. Even with the clear case on it, it protrudes enough to easily slide up or down.

IMG_3521_Upload.jpg
    (The alert slider on the 7 Pro is much easier to slide compared to the 5T's slider.)

Another great addition to this phone is the charging speed. Some users will be bummed that it doesn't include wireless charging, but since the wired charging is so fast it's hard to be disappointed. The in-screen fingerprint scanner is also fast enough for my taste. It seems to be slower than the 5T's backside scanner, but the difference is negligible. The odd time it will act like it can't read my thumb for seemingly no reason. Other than that, it is mostly accurate and fast.

Cons for the hardware are probably similar to other users' cons. I'm not a fan of the curved screen and I haven't met somebody who likes it. I don't understand why this has become a thing, but here we are. There is often a glare if there is light anywhere in the room. It also feels weird to the touch when typing words with 'p' and 'q' since they are on the curve. Maybe that's just a me problem though. Other downsides for the hardware include the lack of a headphone jack, no USB to jack adapter to compensate for that missing headphone jack, and no LED notification light. Even Apple throws in a dongle (it hurts me to put Apple ahead of OnePlus in any category).

Apart from the curved screen and absent headphone jack, I can get behind this hardware (camera is not included here).

Software

The software side of things is pretty clean for the most part. Since I was coming from a OnePlus device, I thought this was a great opportunity to try out OnePlus Switch. It was a good experience, except that when I was copying from the 5T, I did not see an option for application data to be copied over, but it did it anyway. It's possible I missed that, but if you are planning on using OnePlus Switch, keep that in mind. Otherwise, messages, photos, and contacts synced flawlessly.

IMG_3506_Upload.JPG
    (Excuse the picture quality. This shows OnePlus Switch and also a physical comparison of the 5T and 7 Pro)

I would like to start out with the cons for the software. I get that OnePlus is jazzed about their screen (and it is nice), but maybe let users decide if they want Netflix on their devices or not. Seems I can only disable it and not uninstall it. Another downer is that the preinstalled weather app (which is visually appealing) seems to need to have location enabled. It would be nice to let users input a location and forget about using more battery than necessary by constantly using location. Also, the Messages app. There was either an app update that I missed between devices or it's slightly better for the 7 Pro compared to the 5T. The Messages app on the 5T treats picture messages as a slideshow, but not always strangely enough. The 7 Pro's Messages app appears to handle MMS consistently and correctly. Regardless, Google's Messages app was the first thing I made sure was working correctly after the setup. I don't get some of the apps OnePlus decided to include in OxygenOS, but that's a different story.

That's pretty much it for the negatives. The positives far outweigh the negatives. Since there's so many, I'll rapid fire some here:
    • ability to change colour settings
    • change the refresh rate
    • choose the resolution
    • pick your favourite accent colour
    • overall light or dark mode before Android natively supports it
    • reading and night modes
    • zen mode is nice if you need that sort of thing
    • video enhancer (turned off by default)
    • ability to change fonts
    • gaming mode
    To be honest, I'm partial to having more battery. This screen is so good without top notch resolution and refresh rate that I'll opt to having the extra battery. I haven't done a test to see the difference yet, but I'll play around with the settings later.

IMG_3524_Upload.JPG
    (The 7 Pro with the provided clear case on.)

Overall, with the exception of a few apps, OxygenOS is fantastic and this thing runs like a charm.

Camera

This is still something I'm testing out, but my first impression is that it CAN take good pictures, but it seems to be hit or miss. Even with great light inside, the portrait mode isn't good. It can leave the pictures grainy and/or blurry. Outdoors allows for great portrait photos. Anyway, I'll get back to the camera section after taking far more photos.

If anyone actually read until the end, hope you got something out of it. Have a good day!

2. matthu.2711 The Lab - OnePlus 7 Pro Reviewer Jun 3, 2019

yashonagori, NateDev and brian.sedore like this.
  3. Thikalevis Gingerbread Jun 3, 2019

Thikalevis, Jun 3, 2019 :
    Very informative and congratulations on winning one plus 7 pro. beside I only have one con about this phone . It is camera, it still need to be fixed with more accurate shot. u keep getting blur background on night shot.

4. twtegsgss Donut Jun 3, 2019

Evgeny Rozhkov and NateDev like this.
  5. G_plusone Marshmallow Jun 3, 2019

NateDev and brian.sedore like this.
  6. Cheetosdust Starting Point Expert Jun 3, 2019

Cheetosdust, Jun 3, 2019 :
    Congratulations on winning the device @brian.sedore

And thank you for the review, love that picture showing it side-by-side with the OnePlus 5T. Great work! :)

NateDev and brian.sedore like this.
  7. brian.sedore Honeycomb Jun 3, 2019

Thanks. Not a great picture quality wise, but I feel like someone wondering about the size compared to the 5T might be interested.

Cheetosdust and matthu.2711 like this.
  8. brian.sedore Honeycomb Jun 3, 2019

Thanks! I never considered myself contest lucky until this.

Evgeny Rozhkov and matthu.2711 like this.
  9. brian.sedore Honeycomb Jun 3, 2019

It's the ONLY con? I agree with you though. It can take good photos, but not consistently. I'm sure they'll be tweaking the software though. They did that with several other devices after their launch.

10. brian.sedore Honeycomb Jun 3, 2019

I don't plan on turning on GPS and this is how the weather app settings look for me.

1559573913681.jpg

1559574038537.jpg

It'd be great to just input a location and be done with it.

Attached Files:

VincentAbee likes this.
  11. andyrusu Cupcake Jun 3, 2019

andyrusu, Jun 3, 2019 :
    can't you add a location by clicking on the building icon on the top right? that's how it works on my 6t, and I think it was the same on my 3t.

12. brian.sedore Honeycomb Jun 3, 2019

Yup, but after closing the app, it gets put back to the default of looking at your location, which is null for me since I don't have location on. After adding it, I haven't found a way to set that as the default (tried long pressing and I didn't see any other options).

13. andyrusu Cupcake Jun 3, 2019

andyrusu, Jun 3, 2019 :
    you're right... that's strange I can only choose the city in the left panel (whatever it's called... with the widgets)

14. MarkoBatrac Honeycomb Jun 3, 2019

brian.sedore likes this.
  15. MR.BEN312 Honeycomb Jun 4, 2019

Last edited: Jun 4, 2019

V1560761630334 likes this.
  16. E1528811353496 Cupcake Jun 4, 2019

17. CarlosMay Donut Jun 4, 2019

18. CarlosMay Donut Jun 4, 2019

J1562264078380 likes this.
  19. G_Venelin_Deribeev_NFBG Donut Jun 4, 2019

brian.sedore and MR.BEN312 like this.
  20. RAHUL2VIJAY Eclair Jun 4, 2019