Oneplus 7 Pro ambient display not working

1. schorle80 Eclair May 22, 2019

schorle80, May 22, 2019 :
    @alexoldman I think your suggestion with the pocket mode is maybe a good explanation. maybe with low light the phone thinks it is in the pocket and so it avoids switching on the display permanently.
    i hope this is only a software problem and not a hardware issue or a missing sensor in the phone.

Last edited: May 22, 2019

shirokuro73 and spdsk8race1 like this.
  2. x Stobbart x Donut May 23, 2019

x Stobbart x, May 23, 2019 :
    if it could help, I updated to the last version as soon as I unboxed the phone, then used smartswitch

3. S1541656739596 Cupcake May 23, 2019

S1541656739596, May 23, 2019 :
    You brought up a good point about the pocket mode so I decided to run a few tests.

I am in a dim enough room and put my hand over the top speaker area, close to it but not touching. Ambient did not work. I lift my hand off and some light is making its way to the phone and works.

It seems that the phone is treating "darkness" as if it's something positioned in front of the sensor that detects it whether there's something in front of it.

Hopefully something that can be calibrated properly and updated soon...

4. S1541656739596 Cupcake May 23, 2019

S1541656739596, May 23, 2019 :
    Running a few more tests, decided to make a phone call in the dark to see if the darkness would trigger the screen to go off meaning an issue with the proximity sensor.

I believe the phone uses a combination of darkness and the gyroscope to turn the screen off. If you hold the phone at the angle you normally hold against your hear and put your hand in front of the sensor it does go off no issues.

However, if the phone is not at that position such as laying flat and you block the sensor it stays on. I believe that is by design also..

So it's a weird issue for sure..

shirokuro73 likes this.
  5. McRussin Froyo May 23, 2019

McRussin, May 23, 2019 :
    Sorry just jumping in here but saw this post as I was reading up on having this issue myself. Turned on a bright light, locked the screen, double tap to wake working again. Turned that light off, locked screen and double tap to wake stopped. Seems like a solid answer. Tested several times with same result.

shirokuro73 likes this.
  6. anandkp92 Cupcake May 23, 2019

anandkp92, May 23, 2019 :
    I received my device yesterday, updated to Oxygen 9.5.3.GM21AA after setting it up.
    But facing this issue of ambient mode not working now (in low light). Works other wise.

shirokuro73 likes this.
  7. dgks1 Gingerbread May 23, 2019

dgks1, May 23, 2019 :
    I can also confirm that the ambient display, double tapp to wake, and all off screen gestures do not work in low light, but do work in bright light. Just got the OP7 Pro today. Hope this gets fixed quickly. It's quite disappointing.

manuel19, guenole_k and shirokuro73 like this.
  8. guenole_k Froyo May 23, 2019

guenole_k, May 23, 2019 :
    I can confirm that it's the right review ! the two features depend on light condition. I don't understand why because it worked perfectly on the 6T and it has to work in the dark. hope it will be fixed in a near software update !

dgks1 and shirokuro73 like this.
  9. pacman1969 Gingerbread May 23, 2019

pacman1969, May 23, 2019 :
    Ambient display and double tap to wake stopped working for me too this morning. To get it to start working again I switched on do not disturb and switched it off immediately. Ambient display starting working again.

As a test I placed my hand near the top of my phone blocking light from hitting it and ambient display and double tap to wake didn't work everytime. Once I moved my hand away it worked no problem

10. pacman1969 Gingerbread May 23, 2019

Can replicate it. Place your hand just over the top of your phone blocking light from it and ambient display will not work. Remove it and it works everytime. Hand must be pretty close to the phone thus creating the illusion of low light

Last edited: May 23, 2019

11. pacman1969 Gingerbread May 23, 2019

Can replicate it. Place your hand just over the top of your phone blocking light from it and ambient display will not work. Remove it and it works everytime. Hand must be pretty close to the phone thus creating the illusion of low light

12. srijata Cupcake May 23, 2019

srijata, May 23, 2019 :
    Ambient Display has stopped working for OnePlus 7 PRO, it was working fine until this morning.
    have tried t restart the phone, toggle the ambient display on and off and even tried clearing cache memory but nothing is working.
    Might be a software issue or a hardware one but it needs to be corrected asap as it's very inconvenient to press the power button all the time.

13. manuel19 KitKat May 23, 2019

manuel19, May 23, 2019 :
    I have this as well. Neither lift up, double tap, off screen gestures or single tap are working. Don't know how it happened

14. schorle80 Eclair May 23, 2019

schorle80, May 23, 2019 :
    yes, that's really annoying. Tap must also work when it's totally dark. it's not possible to watch the clock at night in bed without finding the power button.
    and it's really annoying to always press the power button to unlock the phone.
    for me a killer bug for the phone.

15. guenole_k Froyo May 23, 2019

guenole_k, May 23, 2019 :

Please people holding there hand over the top. Remerber it has pocket feature. While the screen is locked it will block the screen wake to avoid bad inputs.
    For people who test the bug with there hand over the top, it's not the good thing because it has always worked like that. You cannot double tap to wake if the sensor detect something in front of it. It's proximity sensor here.
    THe issue we are talking about seems to be related with light sensor and THIS, is strange because all theses features worked well in the dark for the 6 or 6T for example.
    Please do not consider the "hand over top" test. It's the "standard" behaviour with the proximity sensor ;)

16. NoMysz Cupcake May 23, 2019

17. schorle80 Eclair May 23, 2019

your absolutely right. do not mix it up. it's correct that the ambient display does not work with the hand over the phone. it's not a bug it's a feature(pocket mode).

the bug is that it does not work with low light or in the dark.

guenole_k likes this.
  18. alexoldman Eclair May 23, 2019

alexoldman, May 23, 2019 :
    Initially I thought this could be a 'pocket mode' bad calibration but I don't think that's the case any more.

Last night, Ambient Display and screen gestures (V for flashlight) didn't work at all in low (but acceptable) light conditions. This morning, when I woke up, still with the room pitch black, everything worked! I've tried it several times last night and this morning and everything worked this morning with NO light and it didn't work last night with SOME light.

It was 8AM this morning, so I thought it could be time and/or night mode related. I've manually changed the time to 22:00, 23:00, etc. (night mode both on and off) and Ambient display (and V for flashlight) worked every time with the room pitch black so, all I know is that I know nothing :(

H1558107279074 and shirokuro73 like this.
  19. schorle80 Eclair May 23, 2019

my ambient display never worked with low light until now. the whole time same Problem:
    Low light -> Not working

guenole_k likes this.
  20. OStratoO Froyo May 23, 2019

OStratoO, May 23, 2019 :
    I think is something related with the security options. mine is working well . put in both, screen properties and in security the options lift and touch in ambient display.

mine is working very very well