Oneplus 7 Pro ambient display not working

1. pavlencumihai Cupcake May 23, 2019

pavlencumihai, May 23, 2019 :
    I am experiencing this as well. In low light situations the tap and raise to wake is not working. Whenever it is brighter in the room it seems to be ok. Hopefully this is not a hardware issue...

2. Spelt Ice Cream Sandwich May 23, 2019

Spelt, May 23, 2019 :
    Yep Ambient light mode not working. Also all gestures stopped working after a couple of hours. Gestures work fine on my old Oneplus 3. But the OP7 pro nothing. Definitely some bugs here in the software. Hate to say it but the Oxygen firmware is acting like Beta software. Most the problems seem to have haven't after the firmware update. Before that the gestures were working fine. Lift to turn screen worked ok too before the update also. It seems that the bugs that have to do with the screen on function and gestures, Ambient light mode seem to stem from the first update after you first turn on the phone. Patch 9.3.5GM21AA appears to be very buggy.

Update: Some old apps that have to do with screen functionality appear to break when going from Android O to P and block many screen functions. Like once I transferred my data from old phone to OP7P. Many screen functions stopped working. Example all gestures, Ambient light mode, lift to awake, double tap to awake. I thought what if its old apps to do with the screen. It appears some data when transferred from old phone to new phone can cause problems.Deleted old clock apps most anything to do with old apps controlling screen functionality. I thought it might be the first patch 9.5.3, nope. It was appears to be some old apps that broke when going from Android O to P. Eliminate those old screen function apps. Screen functions: Gestures, Ambient light mode, lift to awake, tap to awake started working again. Gestures not working fixed.

Last edited: May 23, 2019

shirokuro73 likes this.
  3. dgks1 Gingerbread May 23, 2019

dgks1, May 23, 2019 :
    I ended up wiping the cache, and that did the trick for me. Everything is now working. Hope this fix lasts.

Steps to wipe cache:
    1.Turn off Oneplus 7 Pro. Once it is turned off push (and hold) the volume down and power button at the same time.
    2. Type in your password or pin
    3. Select a language you understand
    4. Select wipe data and cache
    5. Select wipe cache and select "yes" when asked if you want your cache to be wiped.
    6. Now select "reboot"

That did it for me.

4. G_carlos_rivera_lSFO Cupcake May 23, 2019

G_carlos_rivera_lSFO, May 23, 2019 :
    Hi, second units working perfectly fine nothing issues at all. maybe some units More sensitive about other. I have the same setup for the previous one.

5. gravage Eclair May 23, 2019

gravage, May 23, 2019 :
    This fixed it for me! Thanks. Not sure why I didn't think of that.

6. pgrey Honeycomb May 23, 2019

pgrey, May 23, 2019 :
    Mine was doing this right after I had it set up, for a couple of hours, and then it "just stopped", and now it seems to respond very consistently to double-tap (for wake or sleep).
    I do have a button (my "recents") set to double-tap-to-screen-off, because it's handy, when the screen is "busy", and you want to still use double-tap (the "sleep double-tap" has to be fast enough that I've never had a problem with it conflicting with "switching apps", in a couple of years).

When I read this thread, I went ahead and tried it in an almost pitch black hallway last night, and today in a pretty dark spot way under my desk (yeah, that'd be a weird one to explain to someone passing by ;-]), and mine still works, without issue.
    My best guess, is that adding the other gesture (double-tap-to-sleep-recents-button) somehow is working around the bug, that (some) others are seeing, with apparent consitency.

I only wiped my system cache once, when I had a DHCP issue, right after my "Switch Restore", maybe in the first hour of having it on (I notice some people are doing this, and having success), so mine does NOT appear to have been tied to that, it was still "not working with consistency", until some hours in, perhaps coinciding with my enabling the button double-tap, I wasn't tracking the exact timing, on that.

7. G_goody_gumdrops_GHDJ Cupcake May 23, 2019

G_goody_gumdrops_GHDJ, May 23, 2019 :
    Many thanks. I'm on bed in the dark right now. It wasn't working, I did this and works fine now!

8. OStratoO Froyo May 23, 2019

OStratoO, May 23, 2019 :
    mine is working well though

G_carlos_rivera_lSFO likes this.
  9. jdgesmlls Donut May 23, 2019

jdgesmlls, May 23, 2019 :
    Adding my feedback, experiencing the same behavior. If I (HA) use my work iPhone7 flashlight and shine it on my OP7P, the screen wakes up and all gestures work again...

@OnePlus - Please treat this issue as a priority. There is no way that this many new customers are reporting this issue and it cannot be reproduced by your team. Head into a dark room, you should be able to make it occur.

This hasn't worked for me, I have tried it multiple times. YMMV.

10. loichureau Cupcake May 23, 2019

loichureau, May 23, 2019 :
    Same issue on my side, only in low light situation. Probably easy to fix on the next update.

11. st33lersfan1968 Cupcake May 23, 2019

12. JairusZ Donut May 23, 2019

JairusZ, May 23, 2019 :
    Ambient light and doubek tap to wake both stopped working on my US model in a dark room. Like others have said, this is something related to the ambient sensor.

Last edited: May 23, 2019

13. chrishoty Cupcake May 23, 2019

chrishoty, May 23, 2019 :
    I purchased my OnePlus 7 Pro on release day from T-Mobile. After briefly reviewing the features of the phone out of the box, I performed a system update. From this point forward the ambient display only works intermittently and the horizon lighting notifications have almost entirely stopped. I no longer see any settings or mention of the horizon lighting in system settings and I have all of the options turned on for the ambient display. I have cleared both app and phone cache and it seemed to help slightly but it's still not working.

It is impossible to have any notification or knowledge of texts, emails, or anything else if the screen does not illuminate with ambient display or horizon lighting so I am missing the majority of my notifications. While I love 95% of this phone and the true full screen display, this has become a huge inconvenience. What good is a phone that never rings or vibrates when we have a call? How useful would that be?

14. schorle80 Eclair May 23, 2019

schorle80, May 23, 2019 :
    It´s really mysterious and confusing. Same with my phone. Yesterday no chance to bring ambient display to work in low light environment. Reproducable every time. Today i woke up at daylight. Okay, ambient display worked, i thougt because auf daylight. I used the phone normally the whole day. Used some apps and vibration and do not disturb mode. No other settings changed or something like this. Ambient display works without problems. And now in the evening ambient display is still working without problems. Even if it´s totally dark, both tap or move. I don´t get it :-(

15. x Stobbart x Donut May 23, 2019

16. prokai Cupcake May 23, 2019

prokai, May 23, 2019 :
    I had my 7 Pro for four days now and the ambient display just stopped working for me. I experimented whether it will work in a dark room or in one with sunlight, and the room with sunlight worked for me. I hope OnePlus fixes this soon!

17. Maestro1991 Cupcake May 24, 2019

shirokuro73 likes this.
  18. ww458 Cupcake May 24, 2019

ww458, May 24, 2019 :
    Touch to wake screen is not working intermittently for my 7 Pro. Is this a wide spread issue?

shirokuro73 likes this.
  19. zains11 Cupcake May 24, 2019

zains11, May 24, 2019 :
    I was having the same issue and so this is what has happened so far:

1. Restarted the phone --> Did not fix the issue
    2. Cleared the Cache --> Did not fix the issue (followed dgks1's instructions from the comments).
    3. Got on the phone with OnePlus CS and they said I would have to either factory reset my phone or create an RMA and send the phone in for repairs.

I did NOT want to do #3 cause that would be a huge pain in the butt especially since I gave my previous phone to a family member to use. Now, after the phone call with OnePlus CS was over, everything started working....

Weird, not sure what happened or fixed it. Maybe it just needed some time? I'll see what happens and let you guys know, but so far it's working fine in low light situations.

shirokuro73 likes this.
  20. Motard Eclair May 24, 2019

Motard, May 24, 2019 :
    Low light, good light, sunlight, with case, without case, upside down, laughing to phone, talking to him, it still won't work, not even for a second, NONE.