Oneplus 7 Pro ambient display not working

1. prokai Cupcake May 24, 2019

prokai, May 24, 2019 :

prokai

I had my 7 Pro for four days now and the ambient display just stopped working for me. I experimented whether it will work in a dark room or in one with sunlight, and the room with sunlight worked for me. I hope OnePlus fixes this soon!​

Update: I walked into a store (which used florescent lights) and the ambient display came back! It was night time here, so when I walked back outside and tried to see if the ambient display would come back on, it did. It is still working, but Im a bit skeptical of how long it will last before it gives out on me again. So I guess the moral of the story here is to go somewhere really bright and the ambient display will be fixed?

Last edited: May 24, 2019

2. jdgesmlls Donut May 24, 2019

jdgesmlls, May 24, 2019 :
    FWIW... I did something similar... I used a flashlight and shined it right at my OP7P (where I think the ambient light sensor is). I also noticed when the device gets into the mode where gestures/nothing works... The display seems to be dim.

I wonder if this is some bug that is related to ZenMode, maybe it activates some part of it on accident. If it happens again to me, I am going to use the flashlight method again and I will report back.

3. shirokuro73 Eclair May 24, 2019

shirokuro73, May 24, 2019 :
    factory reset has (so far) fixed everything for me. so I was having the ambient display problem the first day I got the phone (21st) but it stopped happening after I took the phone outside in the evening light for a while. since then, ambient display was working fine. however, I had a different bug as well which was that on restarting the phone, even with the alert slider in ring position, the phone would actually be in vibrate mode with no audio. the status bar didn't indicate vibrate, but settings did. the solution was to toggle the alert slider to vibrate and then back to ring. this was 100% reproducible for me. so I tried wiping cache and that didn't fix the alert slider bug (and I wasn't having the ambient display bug any more anyway). I realised that when I had set the phone up the first time, I'd done a copy and restore via WiFi from my previous phone. I usually don't trust those, and should have known better. so this morning (23rd) I did a complete factory reset and setup from scratch, and so far both bugs are gone. ambient display and alert slider are working as they should.

4. pavlencumihai Cupcake May 24, 2019

pavlencumihai, May 24, 2019 :
    Tryied everything, factory reset, clear cache, issue is still there in low light. The only thing left is to RMA the phone as it is useless if I cannot see my notifications. Very disappointed, I had 4 OnePlus phones , beginning with the OP3 and never experienced such problems...

A1558130198159 and shirokuro73 like this.
  5. G_Ananya_Gaur_EsLO Cupcake May 24, 2019

G_Ananya_Gaur_EsLO, May 24, 2019 :
    Double tap, single tap, lift for ambient display - nothing is working on mine (India - international version) hope OnePlus fixes this soon

6. G_Ananya_Gaur_EsLO Cupcake May 24, 2019

Raniero Ciani and pavlencumihai like this.
  7. x Stobbart x Donut May 24, 2019

x Stobbart x, May 24, 2019 :
    mine started working and I did nothing...I don't know what happened, but everything works now even in low light...

8. mc-milan Froyo May 24, 2019

mc-milan, May 24, 2019 :
    I think I have found a solution to this problem. It seems that the problem is caused by Zen mode. When I opened the Zen mode for first time, the ambient display malfunction started. The solution is to go into Zen mode App info, force stop the application and then clear application data. After this my Ambient display reasumed working correctly even in low light conditions. Please let me know if this works for you...

9. G_Michael_Tsigkakos_vRID Cupcake May 24, 2019

10. dgks1 Gingerbread May 24, 2019

dgks1, May 24, 2019 :
    Try going to Settings -> Security and lock screen -> Fingerprint -> Reenter your PIN -> make sure "pick up your phone to show" (right below "SHOW FINGERPRINT ICON IN AMBIENT DISPLAY") is turned on.

I played with the settings yesterday, and when I turned that setting off the ambient display and off screen gestures stopped working. Turned on the setting and it worked again. I did this multiple times with the same result

pavlencumihai and vroland like this.
  11. pavlencumihai Cupcake May 24, 2019

pavlencumihai, May 24, 2019 :
    This solved it! thanks for this :)

dgks1 likes this.
  12. gon250 Donut May 24, 2019

13. alexoldman Eclair May 24, 2019

alexoldman, May 24, 2019 :

Last edited: May 24, 2019

14. alexoldman Eclair May 24, 2019

alexoldman, May 24, 2019 :
    Whatever is causing these issues, has apparently been identified and is being fixed soon. [e]1f389[/e]

vroland and schorle80 like this.
  15. Spelt Ice Cream Sandwich May 24, 2019

Spelt, May 24, 2019 :
    Turns out part of my phones problem was with the sim itself. I wound up having to use a new sim with the Oneplus 7 pro and not transfer data from the old phone except things like personal data. (Pictures, video's, some apps.) Some of the data from old phone must have corrupted and was causing problems with the new phone(OP7P). Wound up resetting the new phone to factory config. Basically starting the setup process over again using restricted data transfer. It solved a number of the problems I was having with screen functionality.

16. Aviral Gupta Cupcake May 24, 2019

Aviral Gupta, May 24, 2019 :
    I am also having the same problem.....mine ambient display not working....I have checked all my settings and restart my mobile thrice still not working.....

17. ValoX Gingerbread May 24, 2019

ValoX, May 24, 2019 :
    Same issue here. Suddenly stopped working, started working after some minutes, then stopped working again. Tried different solutions given by some users (like cache etc...).

18. rclotz Honeycomb May 24, 2019

19. zains11 Cupcake May 24, 2019

20. Michael S. Nielsen Eclair May 24, 2019

Michael S. Nielsen, May 24, 2019 :
    Hey Denmark here.

This issue started on my device today, out of the blue just begun. I cant wake it up in low light, nor double tap unless using on button and screen shows no notifications either, i only get sounds. In more light it works fine.

Is there any confirmation, that this is a software issue, and not hardware ? Anyway i look forward to a fast fix :)

Another thing is, that wifi was turned on by itself, and my sim card were not registered. I had to take it out and in then turn on phone, and it was reading sim card again.

Up untill today it has worked flawlesly, so i am a bit bummed that these issues appeared 3 days after recieving it.

I wanted to use the bug report in app, but could not find it.