Oneplus 7 Pro back glass breaks on its own

1. F1557869518299
    Donut Jul 8, 2019

F1557869518299 , Jul 8, 2019 :
    First of all, I know what you are going to say: "Glass is Glass, and Glass breaks!!!" (#JerryRigEverything)

I consider myself a careful kind of person while using a mobile phone.
    We are talking about a phone protected since it's unboxing with the provided Gel-case (waiting on a Grip Case from Dbrand), no drops, bumps or bends. Just normal day to day phone usage.

One day the back cover of the phone is fine (you can see through the clear gel case), and next day is broken (spider like crack). Looking at it, I can only think : "something must have hit the phone". But I also know that it didn't because I remember my full day.

I reached to Oneplus after seeing that several people had issues with OP6 and a few with OP7 Pro, all had in common the fact that they claim "no external events made the glass break".
    Oneplus support asked to file a RMA claim, and the phone was sent to a service center partner. The service center deemed it 'out-of-warranty' and asked about 52€ for the repair.

The cost of the repair is not in question, what's in question, is that nothing is assuring me that it won't be happening again, so I decided to reject the service repair and put a dbrand skin on it.

I can't help to feel cheated and a sense of injustice in all of this.

"GLASS is GLASS, and GLASS breaks !!!" - but it shouldn't break like this on a 750€ phone.

Edit: Picture taken by CDTI Service Center

1062036-89ea2be7103fa2e4ef126f23f658d9c6.png

UPDATE: a day after this post, Oneplus Support reached out and said that Service Center (CDTI) report stated that the device had «suffered damage through pressure».

Don't really know what they mean by "damage through pressure". I do know that I didn't do any bend test, or sat on it, or used it on a trousers pocket. As a doctor, my phone mainly stays in the same spot, on a desk, most of the day - and I can't think of any pressure (other than using the volume buttons), but ...

Hope this might help someone else having similar doubts. As for my device, for now i'm going with a skin on it. I will remove the skin and check how the cover stands in a few months (might consider other flagship brand by then).

Thank you all.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2019

2. Liehjan
    Lollipop Jul 9, 2019

Liehjan , Jul 9, 2019 :
    Do you have a picture of the crack, Is it close to the side buttons?

3. Muhsin_Sultan
    Ice Cream Sandwich Jul 9, 2019

F1557869518299 likes this.
  4. Intruder71
    Lollipop Jul 9, 2019

Intruder71 , Jul 9, 2019 :
    Sounds more like another case of butter fingers but not adult enough to admit it....

Matt 80 likes this.
  5. Muhsin_Sultan
    Ice Cream Sandwich Jul 9, 2019

Muhsin_Sultan , Jul 9, 2019 :
    could be

6. F1557869518299
    Donut Jul 9, 2019

F1557869518299 , Jul 9, 2019 :
    Picture taken by the Service Center (CDTI).

By the way - I don't seek anyone else aproval or reprival, construtive comments are welcome.
    The text illustrates my experience with the device and explains in detail things as they happened.
    Oneplus should be aware that this is happening to some users.

Cheers to all

oneplus.png

Last edited: Jul 12, 2019

7. F1557869518299
    Donut Jul 24, 2019

F1557869518299 , Jul 24, 2019 :
    This is how the phone looks like now.
    In the end, I'm very pleased with the final esthetics of the device
    Just sad OP (staff and moderators) still label dozens or hundreds of persons with problems like the one I experienced as liars.

Quoting a moderator's reply to another user:

Evertyhing has an explanation. People that know the care they've put onto perserving their devices don't like to be called reckless.

Best of luck to everyone,

IMG_0059.JPG

8. rencx
    Cupcake Jul 30, 2019

rencx , Jul 30, 2019 :
    You got it repaired and then dbranded??

I think there is a issue in phones design, because droped cracks don't show up like this.
    And we should be able to use device in everyday scenario and OnePlus should make good device so it holds together... It should withstand your daily use in front pockets for at least 5 year's.

It's seems here that with OnePlus 7 Pro they did fail a lot and looks like they can't admit it.
    But let's see what will happen with my case.

9. Chinaroad
    Honeycomb Jul 30, 2019

Chinaroad , Jul 30, 2019 :
    Shhhhh Shhhhhh, stop saying bad things about OP, they will crussify you shhhhhhhhh. I appologize for him please do not hurt him, he didn't mean it, he doesn't know what he's saying, the phone clearly was dropped from his hand while he was driving and taking selfies from the window.

F_Ken_Lin_AEIu likes this.
  10. F1557869518299
    Donut Jul 30, 2019

F1557869518299 , Jul 30, 2019 :
    I refused paid repairing ! Not because of associated costs but rather because no tangible explanation was given to what occured and therefor nothing assures me that it wont happen again.

Only a dBrand skin was applied, the phone is now also protected by a Grip dBrand case instead of the TPU gel provided by OP.

I will remove the skin in a few months and see how the glass is holding on. Will decide what to do with the device then.

11. 22Koen22
    Cupcake Aug 30, 2019

22Koen22 , Aug 30, 2019 :
    The same thing happened to me this week. My OP7 Pro did have a case on it (Nillkin Carbon Fiber) and just broke out of nothing. I became aware after pulling down my case. Coming from an S6 Edge, S8 Plus and Note 9 and it never happened to me. Did nothing especially different this time. Just so disappointed by this. Really was enjoying the phone coming from Samsung. But if it means that you've to give up on build quality, I'm not sure if I would've made the same choice.

Attached Files:

• OP7.jpg
      OP7.jpg
      File size:
      121.4 KB
      Views:

12. almondtofu
    Cupcake Sep 6, 2019

almondtofu , Sep 6, 2019 :
    Mine also broke today. No impacts or drops. It was in the case that came with the phone. The only thing i can think of is that it got bent in my pants pocket. Tho that's a possible explanation, if that's the case, then the durability is a bit disappointing.

13. G1563806804135
    Cupcake Sep 6, 2019

G1563806804135 , Sep 6, 2019 :
    I doubt it...if you watch Jerryrigeverything's durability test it passed without cracking

14. divyank garg
    Cupcake Sep 7, 2019

divyank garg , Sep 7, 2019 :
    Today same issue happened with my phone. I didn't dropped my phone ( I am sure because I have cover at the back of the phone and there s no sign of scratch in it) and when checked out of my pocket I saw the crack at the back of the phone, near to the power button. Could anyone help me to figure out this issue?

Attached Files:

15. divyank garg
    Cupcake Sep 7, 2019

divyank garg , Sep 7, 2019 :
    Then how did you corrected the issue? Whats the procedure? because same thing happened with me today

16. J1543468351332
    Cupcake Sep 7, 2019

J1543468351332 , Sep 7, 2019 :
    Same thing happened to my replacement device two days after i got it. as far as the jerryrigeverything argument i had a Nexus 6p (currently on the wall of shame for being destroyed in the his video) for two years without incident. if this seems like a structural issue seeing at the cracks always seem to originate from the volume rocker.

17. melchertjh
    Cupcake Sep 7, 2019

melchertjh , Sep 7, 2019 :
    Same thing happened to my phone today! Had the included case on, no drops or bumps, just took it out of my pocket and it was cracked. Looks super similar to some of the other people that this happened to.
    1567894308966.jpg

18. G_android_x14
    Gingerbread Sep 8, 2019

G_android_x14 , Sep 8, 2019 :
    it looks like we have some phones that cracked near the volume rocker, and some phones that cracked near the power switch. The one directly above looks like cracked significantly below the power switch.

19. Tiago Neves
    Eclair Sep 11, 2019

Tiago Neves , Sep 11, 2019 :
    Say hello to mine. It was also on a case treated like a baby and with no reason to break. Like other poster I had a Nexus 6P before which is known to be fragile and to this day it is in one piece I only changed because it was getting obsolete.
    As you can see the crack also originated from the power button

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 11, 2019

20. Liehjan
    Lollipop Sep 11, 2019

Liehjan , Sep 11, 2019 :
    Do you use skinny jeans that can make the phone bend/flex in the pocket?