OnePlus 7 Pro battery/heating feedback thread

1. Swejuggalo
    Jelly Bean Jun 26, 2019

Swejuggalo , Jun 26, 2019 :
    I think battery is pretty nice.
    I installed BetterBatteryStats and it seems to be rather efficient on my phone. Not many wakelocks other than the ones I've chosen to have myself.
    There is just one wakelock that bothers me. The IPA related kernel wakelocks. They are linked to the Emergency alerts and stuff... However disabling the alerts does not seem to do much. Anything else triggering that?

2. shahnilay36
    Cupcake Jun 27, 2019

shahnilay36 , Jun 27, 2019 :
    WHAT ABOUT LIQUID COOLING ? IS IT REAL IN ONE PLUS 7 PRO? IN VIDEO OF JERRYRIGSEVERYTHING ITS SHOWS THAT NO COOLING LIQUID IS PRESENT IN COIL. HELP ME COZ I AM GONNA BUY ONE PLUS 7 PRO

3. KCYEOH
    Cupcake Jun 27, 2019

KCYEOH , Jun 27, 2019 :

shahnilay36

WHAT ABOUT LIQUID COOLING ? IS IT REAL IN ONE PLUS 7 PRO? IN VIDEO OF JERRYRIGSEVERYTHING ITS SHOWS THAT NO COOLING LIQUID IS PRESENT IN COIL. HELP ME COZ I AM GONNA BUY ONE PLUS 7 PRO​

I saw that JerryRigsEverything video as well, but not sure if the liquid got vaporised when he dismantle it. Anyway, no issue with over heating with this phone especially during heavy gaming. So no worry about the cooling..

shahnilay36 likes this.
  4. Liehjan
    Lollipop Jun 27, 2019

Liehjan , Jun 27, 2019 :
    It's not liquid, it's vapor inside the heatpipe.

Ven96 and shahnilay36 like this.
  5. scrin378
    Cupcake Jun 27, 2019

scrin378 , Jun 27, 2019 :
    for me baterry improved when i turned ram boost off...i got about 1,5 h SOT more, now i get around 6h SOT, with ram boost its about 4,5 - 5h SOT. But yeah, on previous version of OOS baterry was better..

TheGlissando likes this.
  6. Swejuggalo
    Jelly Bean Jun 27, 2019

Swejuggalo , Jun 27, 2019 :
    SOT is a bit tricky... It depends on so many factors. For example being indoors on wifi with low surrounding lightning can bump it up pretty much.

Idle drain is not that often mentioned. The way I have set my phone up I have around 0.6% (measured with BetterBatteryStats a whole night). Mobile data, WiFi and location always on. One sim. No root. Just note that you need ADB to give BetterBatteryStats all the rights so it works without root.

If your SOT is really bad make sure to analyze the idle drain too.

7. Sir_Pool_de_Float_MD
    Eclair Jun 27, 2019

Sir_Pool_de_Float_MD , Jun 27, 2019 :
    My point was that when Pokemon Go uses location, it is a notification from Play Services. So any apps you use frequently that use notification could be the cause for the battery drain.

8. Swejuggalo
    Jelly Bean Jun 27, 2019

Swejuggalo , Jun 27, 2019 :
    A battery tip based on info found here and there... This what I have done to get a better idea on what is happening on my phone and removing stuff that I don't need (roughly). My idle drain during night is 0.3-0.4% per hour. This is with 1 sim, wifi, mobile data and location always on.

Install BetterBatteryStats. You need ADB or root.
    If you are not rooted you need to type these commands.
    adb -d shell pm grant com.asksven.betterbatterystats android.permission.BATTERY_STATS
    adb -d shell pm grant com.asksven.betterbatterystats android.permission.DUMP
    adb -d shell pm grant com.asksven.betterbatterystats android.permission.PACKAGE_USAGE_STATS
    After this you can get info about the wakelocks on your phone. You might find this helpful to read. http://bit.ly/2KpL8IE

Since you needed to enable Developer options you could choose to disable the logging that it automatically enabled. You can do this with this commando.
    adb shell pm disable-user com.android.traceur
    It is possible to disable ALL Oneplus logging too... But personally I avoid that since I want to help out improving the software and provide logs whenever needed.

It's usually possible to disable many built-in apps right from the app settings, but when you can't ADB still lets you do it. Here is an example of disabling Zen mode.
    adb shell pm disable-user com.oneplus.brickmode
    Revert any changes with adb shell pm enable "app name".

Once you figured out some apps that keeps your phone awake too often you can try to ignore those wakelocks. Here is an example for Chrome browser.
    adb shell cmd appops set com.android.chrome WAKE_LOCK ignore (revert change with allow in the end)
    The app Apk Analyzer can help you find the app names.

In phone settings you may need to check the Bluetooth and WiFi scanning options. Most often you may find that you don't need them.
    Also use Dark mode as often as possible to save some screen drain.
    Ram-booster may save you some battery if disabled, depending on usage.

I also started to test a app called Naptime. It more or less a more aggressive Doze mode that already exists in most modern phones.
    You need ADB again though (or root). Again no commands needed if rooted.
    adb -d shell pm grant com.franco.dozeandroid.permission.DUMP
    adb -d shell pm grant com.franco.doze android.permission.WRITE_SECURE_SETTINGS

If using Naptime you can choose to disable both WiFi and Location automatically when you are not using your device.
    Speaking of location. Do not allow use of location in apps if you do not really need it. Also if you don't really care of Google location history and all that go to Settings, Google and Location. Check the status on the 4 location services and decide what you really need. Below them you also see what apps that previously used location.
    In the same Google area in settings you have Backup. If you don't really need it disable it.

In Settings, Accounts you can possible find some unneeded battery hogs. Take the Google account for example. Do you really need to sync all of them? Does all of them finish a sync or does any of them fail over and over again? Removing and adding a faulty account could possible fix the sync problem if you really need it.

In Settings, Utilities you have Oneplus Labs. There you (currently) find DC dimming. You could save some battery on that if you are willing to sacrifice some screen quality at lower brightness. However some had results that could indicate a higher drain so the results may differ.
    Other alternative screen settings can simply be to disable automatic brightness and manually adjust it. You may get higher screen time way. That may be annoying though.
    As a semi automatic screen brightness method you could use an app like Lux. It will allow for configurations like automatic adjustments when you wake up the device and then it stays that way until next time you unlock the the device. You will find that as "wake up" in the app settings. http://bit.ly/2Kr551B
    Other screen time savers is dark mode. Dark mode on as much as possible. Settings, Display, Theme and in various apps if it exist.
    Other sacrifices you could do is to lower screen refresh rate and resolution.

Using the same disable command as mentioned before we can dig deeper into the system with info from Tomato debloater even without root and using the scripts. This can possible break stuff that you are using so only disable something after investigating what it is and if you really need it. Root users can simply just run one of the scripts that fits their needs. http://bit.ly/2Zxvb9B

Regarding the actual charging. Several guides point out that you should stay within certain levels. Let's say 20-80% or perhaps 50-90% to get fewer charge cycles. Let's say you save it some by doing so. But don't forget to fully charge it sometimes, like during the night, to make sure the phone gets enough time for possible maintenance work. It does after all prevent overcharging on all modern devices. Forgetting to unplug is not a disaster. And don't forget about the wear and tear of the charging port. That also adds a factor of life time.
    What basically all guides agree on is to never discharge the battery regulary to 0%.

Here is the source that my battery saving guide started with. XDA

Last edited: Aug 25, 2019

9. Potapenko Fedor
    Cupcake Jun 28, 2019

Potapenko Fedor , Jun 28, 2019 :
    The phone deadlocks (sleep of death) every day once or twice so i should press volume up + power everytime.
    Already missed alarm clock once, thats why i'm writing here. Do something, OnePlus.
    gm1910 oos 9.5.8

10. Swejuggalo
    Jelly Bean Jun 28, 2019

Swejuggalo , Jun 28, 2019 :
    Never happened on mine. Have you used the feedback tool inside the community app to report the error?
    A way to pin point any software issues you could try a factory reset and keep a minimal configuration 2 days or so and add stuff slowly. If it still happens and always has happened maybe it is a faulty unit.

11. X1561749727071
    Cupcake Jun 29, 2019

X1561749727071 , Jun 29, 2019 :
    Hi guys just got my phone a day back used it to a hole day I found it a beast, there was no heating nothing....
    May it's the first day and even if it heat a little bit I'm fine with it . No harm done to me ...
    Love one plus.

12. Narayan_Shrestha
    Froyo Jun 29, 2019

Narayan_Shrestha , Jun 29, 2019 :
    Using it since last 2 weeks not even a single random reboot or screen of death. Heard a lot of users facing this but fortunately I haven't had any such issue.
    Just wanted to know if you are rooted or have you unlocked your bootloader?
    I would suggest you to reset you phone even your internal storage and see if it resolved. I had done a factory reset after the 9.5.8 update.

13. shahnilay36
    Cupcake Jun 30, 2019

shahnilay36 , Jun 30, 2019 :
    Thanks buddy

14. IwantOneplus!
    Ice Cream Sandwich Jun 30, 2019

15. sidharth.javvadi
    Froyo Jul 1, 2019

sidharth.javvadi , Jul 1, 2019 :
    Every phone gets heated if your using for long time or if you place under the or heat place. One plus 7 pro must be the better phone
    - 26th day user of op7pro

16. benfaulkneruk
    Cupcake Jul 1, 2019

benfaulkneruk , Jul 1, 2019 :
    Hi,

I love the warp charge capability and have been reading lots on battery preservation and understand it is better to keep the battery between 20-80% rather than go up to 100 and down to 0 or close to it.

My question is is there any pros/cons to warp charging Vs normal charging. if not in a rush is it better to carry out a slower charge?

Any help will be great.

BRD_Markus_B likes this.
  17. G_Ali_Asiri_zDDB
    Cupcake Jul 2, 2019

18. Liehjan
    Lollipop Jul 2, 2019

Liehjan , Jul 2, 2019 :
    When you charge? When you play games(PUBG)? Or all the time? How hot?

19. G_Ali_Asiri_zDDB
    Cupcake Jul 2, 2019

20. Liehjan
    Lollipop Jul 2, 2019

Liehjan , Jul 2, 2019 :
    It gets a bit hot when warp charging if the room ambient temperature is high... How hot does it get, can you provide a celsius reading?