OnePlus 7 Pro battery/heating feedback thread

1. Swejuggalo
    KitKat Dec 28, 2019

Swejuggalo , Dec 28, 2019 :
    Work in progress but hopefully helpful for some.

Checklist for battery drain

1. Have you recently updated the OS or factory reset? Some extra drain may be perfectly normal until the phone had time to optimize and learn usage pattern.
    2. How is your charge pattern? Partial charging when needed is OK. But never letting it charge to 100% and "rest" on the charger is not good in the long run. You can miss out on the background optimizing work that is done then.
    3. Look at running services and memory usage and app battery usage. Some apps can behave badly over time or after an app update. Wipe the problematic app cache or data depending on the app behavior problem. Usually full cache wipe in recovery is a waste of resources since it drains battery to rebuild the caches.
    4. Signal quality, single or 2 simcards, wifi or mobile network usage, screen brightness, installed apps and app updates, Bluetooth, location and how often location updates is done (triggered by apps for example)... EVERYTHING including OS updates matters and can affect battery. It's easy to blame the OS update but check point 1, 2 and 3 first.
    5. The phone should automatically learn how you use the phone and adjust accordingly but you can manually help it by defining the battery saving mode on the apps you rarely use. It's not nessesarilly a good idea to optimize battery on every single app and limit background activity in every way possible. That is why we have Intelligent control in 10. Permanently having to reload a app you use very often could lead to more drain!
    6. Check if RAM boost OFF gives you better battery. The benefits of RAM boost may not be worth it for everyone.
    7. More advanced battery monitoring can be done via BetterBatteryStats app. It's more than pure app drain that matters. How much your phone is allowed to deep sleep matters too.
    8. There are apps that can help you. One of those is Naptime. May not fit everyone's need though.
    9. More info here http://bit.ly/33bqDY2 (for example manual background optimizing command) and here http://bit.ly/2ZzdsP8 (my slightly outdated and in need of a rewrite battery guide with info about point 7 and 8 for example)

kiran_867 likes this.
  2. RanjithRavindran
    Cupcake Dec 29, 2019

3. rockinsnake
    Froyo Dec 29, 2019

4. Swejuggalo , via OnePlus 7 Pro Mirror Gray , Dec 29, 2019 :
    I do what I usually do with a phone. There is plenty of tweaks possible even without root too. Just some adb commands away. Some info higher app.

With my usage it can go beyond 8h rather easy. Even 10h possible some days. I wouldn't say I really did heavy tweaks or anything... I even have some battery hogs like Life360 and Opensignal... (beta 7)

Do some investigation and trial and errors on the problematic apps. Block some wakelocks if needed. Charge over night a few times. Do the manual optimizing command if nessesary. If official app for something sucks change to an alternative or webbrowser version whenever possible. Use optimize battery smartly and not on stuff you constantly use... Leave it on Intelligent control unless you know you need something else and that it gives you a desired effect.

5. rockinsnake
    Froyo Dec 30, 2019

rockinsnake , via OnePlus 5T , Dec 30, 2019 :
    i
    I have tried this. currently android system is taking most battery. ive tried to calibrate battery by draining and charging to full. Have also tried to keep things stock but didn't work out. I'm not getting beyond 4 hours of sot.

My battery is dropping to upto 50% without even using it but keeping the phone in on state but no calling, gaming or videos...not even camera is being used.

I've also paired Gear s3 with phone which remains connected through the day. Gonna try switching it off today.

6. Swejuggalo , via OnePlus 7 Pro Mirror Gray , Dec 30, 2019 :
    System can be tricky. Sometimes high system can be due to the background optimizing has not been finished and wiped caches and such. But if the phone regularly lays on the charger an hour or so after having reached 100% it should be optimized.
    When I run the optimizing command it finishes very fast. So running it could be used as a verification too.

7. L1574673454589
    Cupcake Dec 31, 2019

L1574673454589 , Dec 31, 2019 :
    The new update(10.3.0) has brought changes but at the cost of huge battery drains. it wasn't this bad on the previous build. The latest build is a battery hog. Please dev team send us a fix Asap ?

Last edited: Jan 8, 2020

Grotstompa likes this.

8. Grotstompa likes this.
  9. Federico Prencipe
    Gingerbread Jan 2, 2020

Federico Prencipe , Jan 2, 2020 :
    With OX OS 10.0.3 battery life has increased, still not good but non terrible, I can say that now it's decent. Anyway it's still far below Andorid 9

10. A1574974640150
    Cupcake Jan 3, 2020

A1574974640150 , Jan 3, 2020 :
    Any tips or guides to downgrade to stable Pie? Is 9.5.8 the best version to downgrade to? Currently on 10.3.0. GM21AA

My battery life isnt so good, 3 week old phone, casual use with some games, minimum settings and battery saving tips only get me like 6 SoT max.

Thanks

11. Federico Prencipe
    Gingerbread Jan 3, 2020

Federico Prencipe , Jan 3, 2020 :
    There are some guides on the forum, try to search them. I already tell you that you must wipe all your data to downgrade and manually install the older version via local update.

12. T1578304176425
    Cupcake Jan 6, 2020

T1578304176425 , Jan 6, 2020 :
    Hi Guys. over the last couple of days, my battery on my OP 7 Pro has started to lose charge at an alarming rate in Idle. for example today my battery has dropped 20% charge in less than 2 hours. and that is with battery saver turned on!!

is anyone else seeing this issue?

mostic and Grotstompa like this.
  13. Federico Prencipe
    Gingerbread Jan 6, 2020

Federico Prencipe , Jan 6, 2020 :
    Not that heavy but yes, a lot of people are complaining about battery life, with Andorid 10 the situation is bad, battery drains much faster.

14. T1578304176425
    Cupcake Jan 6, 2020

15. Grotstompa
    Cupcake Jan 6, 2020

Grotstompa , Jan 6, 2020 :
    The December update for my OnePLus 7 Pro: 10.3.0.GM21AA has put my battery in a rough state personally - I haven't had any issues since I got the phone a few months ago, and all of the updates have been great. Unfortunately, just keeping my phone idle at work, when I check it, I see it's declining at least 5% every hour or so. It's a bit unusual because checking my battery usage everything looks normal (1% here, 2% there [very minor usage]), so it seems it's something else that's unrelated to the usage of the phone due to the update.

For reference, prior to this update, I actually had a hard time getting it below 80% on a full day of off/on usage. We hope to see an update that resolves this issue or at least a response/solution to our problems. I love the phone otherwise!! Cheers!

EDIT: Today I've lost 16% in 2 hours from the phone sitting idle ("since the last charge") - Total Usage is "1% battery loss from 14% of active screen usage". Applications haven't been used today as of yet - no data.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2020

I1574339905353 likes this.
  16. T1578304176425
    Cupcake Jan 6, 2020

T1578304176425 , Jan 6, 2020 :
    Def something weird going on! I have my device in Battery Saver mode so should not be declining this much so quickly!

Grotstompa likes this.
  17. Federico Prencipe
    Gingerbread Jan 7, 2020

Federico Prencipe , Jan 7, 2020 :
    Oh ok, it usually is a problem related to Andorid 10, I've tried 4 version (.0/.1/.2/.3) and even if in different ways all of them are worse than Andorid 9 for battery life. If you are already facing it on 9 it's weird, you should try to investigate in battery settings or maybe with apps like betterbatterystat

18. ravikrak
    Gingerbread Jan 8, 2020

ravikrak , Jan 8, 2020 :
    Hi,.
    Battery performance is bad... I am loosing 1% every 3 minutes display at 40% brightness...
    Something issue with software or bad battery lost its power in just 3months...
    Usage screen attached Screenshot_20200108-085917.jpg Screenshot_20200108-085903.jpg

mostic likes this.
  19. O1572193342824
    Cupcake Jan 10, 2020

AnantDags likes this.
  20. gikkka
    Froyo Jan 10, 2020