OnePlus 7 Pro Black Screen/Won't power on

1. zains11
    Cupcake Jul 11, 2019

zains11 , Jul 11, 2019 :
    Hi all,

I just experienced something strange with my OnePlus 7 Pro device last night. I was using my phone to check my outlook calendar and then put my phone aside for about an hour before picking it back up to check the time. I noticed that the phone had somehow shut off since the screen was blank and the phone was not responding at all. I tried the following steps:

1. Pressed the power button for 10-15 sec (2-3 times) --> No response
    2. Double tapped the screen --> No response
    3. Set the phone from Ring to Vibrate multiple times to see if the phone would vibrate --> No response
    4. Held the power and volume down button for 15+ sec --> No response
    5. Next, I plugged the phone to charge for about 15 min.

I knew the battery was not low because I barely used the phone the whole day. I only used it to text and make a few phone calls.

6. Next, I pressed the power button after letting it charge for 15 min and the phone would not respond. I tried this 2-3 times again hold down the power button for 15+ seconds each time. --> No response.

7. Next, I pressed the power and volume down button for 15+ seconds and no response.

8. Next, I pressed the power and volume up button and finally, the phone seemed to power on.

I'm not exactly sure what happened or why the phone went into this state. The phone did not feel hot or anything. I do have a OnePlus case on the phone. Has anyone experienced anything like this before? Does the community or OnePlus have any input on this issue? Please let me know, thank you.

Model: OnePlus 7 Pro 12GB Ram + 256GB Storage (Nebula Blue)

2. Iam007
    Eclair Jul 11, 2019

Iam007 , Jul 11, 2019 :
    mines done it twice or 3 times sinxe owning from release day, a very weird glitch.

3. Urskogen
    Cupcake Jul 11, 2019

Urskogen , Jul 11, 2019 :
    I have experienced that to 1 time.
    I think it powerd up when I pressed power and volume up or down, dont remember

4. zains11
    Cupcake Jul 12, 2019

5. chalkula
    Eclair Jul 12, 2019

chalkula , Jul 12, 2019 :
    Had this happen to me once since I got the phone. Also powered back up after holding power and volume up or down ( also can't remember which one worked...ha ha)

6. ekb18c
    Cupcake Jul 20, 2019

ekb18c , Jul 20, 2019 :
    Happens to a lot of people. volume up and power till it reboots. This bug is so annoying and many people returned the phones or request repairs via RMA.

I just submitted my RMA to repair since im out of the range for replacement. If you send an email to support they will tell you to clear cache and if it still occurs. Then they will tell you do factory reset to see if it occurs. Finally if it still shuts down, then you can either ask for replacement or repair.

I feel like they make you go through this long process so you can't return or ask for replacement phone. It sucks and terrible customer experience.

aerocraker, zains11 and kchuskerrph like this.
  7. DeathMoJo
    Gingerbread Jul 20, 2019

DeathMoJo , Jul 20, 2019 :
    I had this happen once after a restart. Hold volume up and power button at same time for at least 30 seconds.

Haven't had it happen since. If it happens frequently I'd consider support or replacement.

8. kchuskerrph
    Cupcake Jul 20, 2019

kchuskerrph , Jul 20, 2019 :
    I have the same issue but I have the bottom o f my screen go green and the top black. No way to see anything on the screen. Customer service is total crap and this is the last OnePlus I will ever buy. Had it 30 days and the issues with it are so many I can't even think of them all. Good idea, horrible execution. Now I'm out a phone for 2 weeks. Total BS.

zains11 likes this.
  9. zains11
    Cupcake Jul 20, 2019

zains11 , Jul 20, 2019 :
    It sucks to see many people going through this and is a serious issue. I agree with all of you the customer service is really frustrating and horrible to deal with.

R1560530565259 likes this.
  10. I1565978932896
    Cupcake Aug 16, 2019

I1565978932896 , Aug 16, 2019 :
    I have had similar issue. After trying everything I could find on bringing my screen back, I came across a tip I found online, that said to press firmly all over the screen... apparently a bunch of these phones may have been shoddily put together. By pressing on the bottom left quarter of my OP7 screen, it lights back up. Very annoying. The last 2 times I used this method, ( today being most recent) I held power button til phone vibrated, touched upper right screen where power icon would be if you could see...then after phone powers off, hold power button again til phone vibrates and then start pushing firmly on screen...like I said, my sweet spot is in the bottom left quarter of the screen. Hope this works for you as it has for me.

11. cliveyybb
    Cupcake Aug 17, 2019

cliveyybb , Aug 17, 2019 :
    Thank you for that, mine did exactly the same last night, went to bed with 60% battery showing, got up this morning, completely dead, tried various things like you but didn’t try the power button and volume up until I read your message, and now it’s working again, had already contacted OnePlus, looking for answers, it was quite scary.

zains11 and R1560530565259 like this.
  12. Sanka_Amidu
    Cupcake Aug 17, 2019

Sanka_Amidu , Aug 17, 2019 :
    I also had that issue just now. I did POWER BUTTON+VOLUME UP it's now okey. thanks for your help

rupesh.pankhania and zains11 like this.
  13. rupesh.pankhania
    Cupcake Aug 22, 2019

rupesh.pankhania , Aug 22, 2019 :
    OMG, i just had the biggest panic this morning that i had lost everything on my phone because i had the same issue. Having quickly found this thread in the forum I was happy when the POWER BUTTON + VOLUME UP reboot worked. Thank you to everyone who has left comments.

@MODS - clearly there is an issue with this many comments, what's going to be done about this?

R1560530565259 likes this.
  14. DeveloperMaD
    Cupcake Aug 22, 2019

DeveloperMaD , Aug 22, 2019 :
    Hello, I also got this problem today.
    Power + volume up didn't work for me.
    I had to clear phone cache (turn off phone, power + volume down)

15. ahmeddos
    Cupcake Jan 11, 2020

ahmeddos , Jan 11, 2020 :
    I have a similar issue. My screen goes black randomly since I updated to 10.0.3. I know that the phone still works, when I try to restart is using the volume up and power button, I can feel the phone buzz after 15 seconds, but the screen won't turn on. After some time my screen starts to function again magically.