OnePlus 7 Pro camera not actually x3 optical zoom?

1. pablofg1978
    Nougat Head Moderator May 25, 2019

pablofg1978 , May 25, 2019 :
    the actual optical zoom is 2.8677x

script likes this.
  2. Rendell2496
    Donut May 25, 2019

malidan likes this.
  3. pablofg1978
    Nougat Head Moderator May 25, 2019

pablofg1978 , May 25, 2019 :
    Read the official statement

script likes this.
  4. bala_gamer
    Donut May 25, 2019

bala_gamer , May 25, 2019 :
    ya I'm following that news as well , the point I wanted to make is sometimes oems takes time to get the update with new features . my S10 unit was already sold [e]1f603[/e][e]1f603[/e][e]1f603[/e]. either way I'm looking for similar enhancement from one plus In the upcoming updates

5. malidan
    Nougat May 25, 2019

malidan , May 25, 2019 :
    So you hide it in a cowardly manner where you hope I don't see it, at the end a post?

No tag?
    No reply?

But alas l did.

The thing about people on this forum, is that they say stuff to get likes, then and they hide behind the sheild of sarcasm when confronted.

Your cowardly act proves that point.

I'm just being sarcastic here.;)

SanderBos likes this.
  6. malidan
    Nougat May 25, 2019

malidan , May 25, 2019 :
    1.6 bro , making it a 20% exaggeration. Pretty close to what they have done here going on the revelations.
    What did you think of the answer, to your question on the lens used?
    If you look here another member posted a video of the guy who found the descrepency, with the 3x zoom files info.

7. G_Rich_Cowan_EQlj
    Gingerbread May 25, 2019

Last edited: May 25, 2019

8. F_Lars_Dennert_NbST
    Gingerbread May 25, 2019

F_Lars_Dennert_NbST , May 25, 2019 :
    lots of posts so I figured I would do the logical thing and check myself. I took three identical shots of a rectangular object. one in wide, one in normal and one in tele. then I opened them in Photoshop, each on their own layer and overlaid them using a common corner in all three. I then turned on the rulers, did a little measuring and math.
    I assumed the normal lens to be the baseline 1x. The apparent optical magnification of the wide angle is 0.78x
    The apparent optical magnification of the telephoto is 2.28x

this is a rough 5 minute exercise. each image had a different number of overall pixels (mp) but that does not affect a one to one pixel overlay. as an aside, the wide had the most mp, then normal, then tele. if you were to crop the rectangles down, the tele would have 2.28 times more pixels than the normal lens.

you can do this yourself if you have doubts assuming you have a 1+7p. I am not displeased with the cameras but yes I believe there is not a 3x real zoom over the normal camera here. it could still be a stronger zoom than other phones have if their normal lens is wider than the 1+7p normal lens.

NOW here is the thing! The telephoto lens is 2.93x power of the wide lens. that is roughly 3x. that means the overall zoom range of the camera system is 3x.

9. Abruzini
    Gingerbread May 25, 2019

Abruzini , May 25, 2019 :
    Thank you for the explanation, and Thank you also for sharing that very helpful article.

10. callumshell1
    Cupcake May 25, 2019

callumshell1 , May 25, 2019 :
    Quite disappointed to hear this. The 3x optical zoom was one of the selling points of the phone for me and one of the reasons I chose not to go for the Huawei P30 Pro instead. I feel a bit cheated.

You can actually see the digital zoom being done if you switch between Portrait mode and the regular shooting mode's 3x setting. To be honest I would prefer the regular shooting mode used the whole sensor too instead of digitally cropping, something I can just do myself after the fact.

11. woSch
    Photography Expert May 25, 2019

woSch , May 25, 2019 :
    Great response and great article... the Author 'understood' Photography... it's pure Physics and Math!

the referred article:
    http://somegadgetguy.com/2019/05/24...-zoom-why-generic-consumer-measurements-suck/

Edit:
    some sample shots:
    Main Lense
    IMG_20190526_100820-01.jpeg

Tele Lens
    IMG_20190526_100832-01.jpeg

2x Tele clip on Lens over Main Lens
    IMG_20190526_100800-01.jpeg

this is the 2x clip on Lens taken with the Tele Lens
    IMG_20190526_101342-01.jpeg

btw ... this is what I got clipping the 2x Lens over the Tele Lens
    IMG_20190526_102848-01.jpeg
    not ideal ;) (tele is obviously 'flipping' between the sensors/lenses depending on focus/distance and has trouble with focus throu clip-on-lens)

Last edited: May 28, 2019

Discostu, Baymax and Lachezar23 like this.
  12. Lachezar23
    Froyo May 25, 2019

Lachezar23 , May 25, 2019 :
    Love that. Still a bit worried about the fact that cropping with the main sensor is actually better that using the telephoto lens but i don't know i dont have the phone xd

woSch likes this.
  13. Baymax
    Starting Point Expert Community Expert May 25, 2019

woSch likes this.
  14. woSch
    Photography Expert May 25, 2019

woSch , May 25, 2019 :
    Yep... fully agreed :)

15. F_Lars_Dennert_NbST
    Gingerbread May 26, 2019

F_Lars_Dennert_NbST , May 26, 2019 :
    1558825870063.jpg

1558825870052.jpg

1558825870026.jpg

cropping down the main sensor to the same field of view as the tele will result in an image that is lower resolution.

I took three shots of a TV from the same distance and then, very roughly cropped each image on my phone so just the TV was on the frame. the resulting image sizes are as follows.

wide lens 882x464
    normal lens 1144x691
    tele lens 2614x 1542

as you can see, the tele lens has 3x the resolution as the wide lens, or 9x the number of pixels.

hope this helps.

woSch likes this.
  16. Just Some Dude
    Eclair May 26, 2019

Just Some Dude , May 26, 2019 :
    Thank you David Y for that article link. This clears things up TREMENDOUSLY (putting pitchfork and torches away...ok, ok...and the shanks).

On a tangent, I wish OP would hire some people that can get results like from the native camera software like GCAM. I hate the various limitations (and crashing) of the various ports but GCAM takes MUCH better pictures hands down. What about licensing the software Google (if they're even game for that which I'm guessing is a "no").

woSch likes this.
  17. Grilled_Trout
    Gingerbread May 26, 2019

Grilled_Trout , May 26, 2019 :
    I reckon it will take more than one website blog from some guy named Juan to make most people satisfied with this so-called "explanation."

I read the whole article and it was very informative. And I agree, that OnePlus was very clumsy in their advertising and marketing this phone.

As I suggested, they should immediately make changes in their tech spec section to make it as clear as possible so that regular, untech-savy people can understand. What matters at the end is how general public perceives their brand as a whole. Once perceived as a liar, whether it be true or not, it will incur quite a bit of damage to their reputation.

This information needs to be available in their website.

18. mattyelle1
    Gingerbread May 26, 2019

mattyelle1 , May 26, 2019 :
    They literal wrote on spec sheet: 3x optical zoom telephoto, 8MP

Now they seem to be saying: 2.887x optical zoom telephoto, 13MP....but we just crop in on the 13MP sensor so really your 3 times closer than main camera sensor.

That's lying. It's not even playing with the truth.

19. Kush_Sunderia
    Eclair May 26, 2019

Kush_Sunderia , May 26, 2019 :
    Is the company lying with the 3X Optical Zoom on the OnePlus 7 Pro. Beebom has made some interesting facts and phots in relation with the new 7... Its difficult to understand that whether the company or the Beebom is saying lie. Probably Beebom has got all the photos as well as the its a wellknown site. Need the inputs.

Also, Please check out the video: Is the company lying with the 3X Optical Zoom on the OnePlus 7 Pro. Beebom has made some interesting -

20. Cervantes
    Lollipop Moderator May 26, 2019

Cervantes , May 26, 2019 :
    Hi
    Please, read the second and third post

You can use the search engine before opening a new thread
    https://forums.oneplus.com/help/terms
    Thread merged

Thank You, Cervantes, Forum Moderator