OnePlus 7 Pro Gaming Performance: Fortnite, PUBG, and Asphalt 9 Gameplay Tests

?

How much RAM would you get for your OnePlus 7 Pro?

1. 6 GB

5.4%
  2. 8GB

62.2%
  3. 12 GB

32.4%
  1. TonyTechBytes US Brand Ambassador May 26, 2019

TonyTechBytes, May 26, 2019 :
    [​IMG]

Hey OnePlus fans! My name is Tony, and I’m one of the U.S. Brand Ambassadors for OnePlus! I got the chance to attend the OnePlus 7 Pro pop-up event at the T-Mobile Signature Store in San Francisco along with @KeBlam, @Kameron S, and @AbhishekS287. At the event, I got to try out the OnePlus 7 Pro and I’m thoroughly impressed with the performance this smartphone packs.

The 7 Pro features an octa-core Snapdragon 855 central processor matched with the Adreno 640 graphics processing unit and up to 12 GB of RAM for an unrivaled experience. To cool the processors, the 7 Pro sports a sophisticated liquid cooling system (in the form of a heat pipe) to dissipate heat effectively. During intense gaming sessions, the phone (without a case on) never felt too hot. Additionally fit with a 90Hz QHD+ curved Fluid AMOLED display, the 7 Pro demonstrates unprecedented display quality seamlessly adding on to the immersive experience.

After using the 7 Pro for a little more than a week now, I have to say it has been an absolute powerhouse of a device. With more RAM than many of today's laptop/desktop computers, one can have numerous apps open all at once and not worry about the phone slowing down. This also contributes positively to the longevity of the phone since apps will eventually become more RAM-hungry like Google Chrome.

I tested three games with the 7 Pro and they all performed exceptionally well. The three games I tested were: Fortnite, PUBG, and Asphalt 9. The 7 Pro also automatically enables "Gaming Mode" to optimize the CPU, GPU, and RAM. There's also the "Fnatic Mode" which does all of what "Gaming Mode" does, but with silenced notifications and more optimizations. If you’d like to see a video version of my gameplay tests, feel free to check out the video I made here:

Fortnite ran at epic settings, with the highest resolution of 100% quality, and at the highest frame rate option currently possible of 30 frames per second. While 30 FPS may not be suitable for competitive gaming, mobile Fortnite is often laid back with most players not able to build or fight as effectively as one could on console or PC. The game ran smoothly at 30 FPS with no stuttering or frame drops, but 60 FPS or more (if possible in the future) would be more appreciated to take advantage of the 90 Hz refresh rate of the 7 Pro’s display.

The second game I tried out was PUBG, which ran smoother than Fortnite at roughly 60 FPS with the highest graphical settings. The sky looked blue, the scenery colors looked rich, and I did not experience frame drops throughout my gameplay. The actual number of frames per second could not be displayed, but due to my experience with high frame rate gaming on PC, I estimate that PUBG ran at around 60 FPS—even during high action scenarios.

Asphalt 9 was the last game I tested and yet again, the 7 Pro flawlessly exceeded my expectations. This game looked extremely colorful and the animations were very captivating. I constantly crashed into enemy cars while racing through various roads and the explosion scenes were smooth and vibrant. Using the "nitro" feature of the car was also a fun experience as I sped even quicker than I could control to the finish line. A good estimate of the frame rate would be around 30 FPS since the game itself ran pretty smoothly and did not drop frames.

Overall, the OnePlus 7 Pro runs games and all sorts of media impeccably. The specs on the phone add that extra bit of performance that really changes your experience using it. The 90 Hz refresh rate is significantly smoother than 60 Hz, and the display itself is incredibly immersive—especially with the curved edges of the screen. The 7 Pro is probably the best phone I’ve ever used for gaming, and far exceeds other smartphones such as the iPhone XS despite not having compatibility for 60 FPS gameplay in Fortnite. But now that I’ve shared my experience with these games, which games would you play on the OnePlus 7 Pro, and why?

Last edited: May 27, 2019

2. DARTH 007 KitKat May 26, 2019

DARTH 007, May 26, 2019 :
    how can asus Rog play games.at 90 Hz and OnePlus
    that is what you should try to find out

TonyTechBytes likes this.
  3. Protomize Cupcake May 26, 2019

pvitale and TonyTechBytes like this.
  4. Karolios Froyo May 26, 2019

5. TonyTechBytes US Brand Ambassador May 26, 2019

TonyTechBytes, May 26, 2019 :
    Thank you for the clarification! It looked pretty smooth but I couldn't check the exact frame rate.

6. TonyTechBytes US Brand Ambassador May 27, 2019

TonyTechBytes, May 27, 2019 :
    Hey all! If my video on the OnePlus 7 Pro's gaming performance doesn't show up, feel free to check it out here:

Javybravo likes this.
  7. Javybravo Cupcake May 29, 2019

Javybravo, May 29, 2019 :
    Hi, I'm sorry if this question has been answered before, but I read that turning on Gaming Mode reduces the screen from 90hz to 60hz. Is this true?

Thank you in advance!

8. TonyTechBytes US Brand Ambassador May 30, 2019

TonyTechBytes, May 30, 2019 :
    Hey, thanks for checking out my post! I don't think Gaming Mode reduces the refresh rate to 60Hz since games would run smoother at a higher refresh rate. I tried it myself and I'm pretty sure it still runs at 90Hz with Gaming Mode on.

Javybravo likes this.
  9. ferozarshad123 Cupcake May 30, 2019

ferozarshad123, May 30, 2019 :
    I personally think fortnite is unplayable unless its 60FPS. Also the audio (not sure if it is a recording issue) sounds like the beginning of an Apex legends game. So not good. I know this is probably an issue with the Fortnite app and not phone speed.

10. TonyTechBytes US Brand Ambassador May 30, 2019

TonyTechBytes, May 30, 2019 :
    Thanks for your input! I agree - Fortnite isn't really enjoyable unless it's 60fps but it's somewhat playable at 30. As for the audio issue, I assume it could indeed be the Fortnite app.

ferozarshad123 likes this.
  11. Javybravo Cupcake May 30, 2019

Javybravo, May 30, 2019 :
    Your post was great!

Thank you for replying. When I read Gaming Mode reduces the hz to 60, I was baffled and it just didn't make sense to me. The few games I've played, Darkness Rises and Dead Trigger 2, seem to play silky smooth, but I wanted to make sure I get to play them at their full glory with 90hz. [e]1f601[/e]

12. U1561448584870 Cupcake Jun 26, 2019

U1561448584870, Jun 26, 2019 :
    not at all pubg is running laggy....its not smoother then oneplus 6t
    i dont know what is the problem...but i have both phone and hughly disappointed with oneplus 7pro

13. Jeramy_Koval Froyo Jun 27, 2019

Jeramy_Koval, Jun 27, 2019 :
    Have any of you performed testing in game mode vs. fnatic mode? I mostly just play games like Mobile Legends and don't see any noticable difference. Same gameplay and battery consumption as far as can tell.

14. U1561448584870 Cupcake Jun 27, 2019

U1561448584870, Jun 27, 2019 :
    no difference jst u get no calls nd msgs in fnatic mode...its like u blocked the calls and msgs or any other network services

15. U1561448584870 Cupcake Jun 27, 2019

it depends on game....if game support 60fps den thier is no way it will work on 90fps....it will continue on 60 fps only...like pubg

16. U1561448584870 Cupcake Jun 27, 2019

truely saying....no its not
    gaming is gr8 on oneplus 6t
    trust me i bought 7pro 4 days ago
    nd i m already regretting
    PUBG sucks on it....the frame drop and not getting smoother gameplay r common in this 7 pro
    i dont know why
    but pubg is best on 6t