Oneplus 7 Pro Karbon case wearing phone paint

1. AspenSTi Cupcake Jun 17, 2019

AspenSTi, Jun 17, 2019 :
    So I just removed the case for the first time after having it on for the last few weeks to notice that one of the corners has some paint being rubbed away. Seems like a contact point inside of the case (when applied obviously). This thing was so beautiful I wanted to protect it, not wear it down faster. Has anyone else had the issue? I bought both phone and genuine case through T-mobile. Just want to keep this thing looking good with a minimal case. If this is a defected case how can I tell and what do I do?

Attached Files:

2. Reworker71 Froyo Jun 18, 2019

Reworker71, Jun 18, 2019 :
    Hi, I have also experienced a similar issue with my Oneplus 7 Pro, on the upper edge near the front camera. I had only ever used the case supplied with the phone. No drops or impacts.

My particular device also had problems with the cosmetic finish on the rear of the phone, where specks of blue paint were missing. My device is currently being evaluated by Oneplus (RMA), so at this point I'm not sure of the outcome, but I have requested a replacement.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 18, 2019

3. AspenSTi Cupcake Jun 18, 2019

AspenSTi, Jun 18, 2019 :
    Wow, I don't want to open the can of worms, but maybe there are just a batch of them with "thinner" paint on the upper sections. You said this was with the clear case? I have a Nylon on the way to try the microfiber on the inside to see how that goes. Best of luck to you with the RMA, let me know how that goes.

4. Reworker71 Froyo Jun 18, 2019

Reworker71, Jun 18, 2019 :
    Yes, this was just with the supplied clear TPU case. I put it on as soon as I had inserted my SIM cards. It was when I removed the case to clean the phone that I saw the missing paint on the leading edge of the top section.

I too suspect the paint finish was in some way defective. My device didn't suffer from the ghost touch issue, with any firmware, but it did have several cosmetic defects which would have been very hard to live with on a brand new device.

I had the woven nylon case on my 1+ 6, and that case does have the very soft microfibre lining on the back and the sides. Never had any issues with my 1+6, so I suspect that the paint issue is just a consequence of receiving one of the early units. The manufacturing date of my unit was the 3rd of May.

5. Reworker71 Froyo Jun 27, 2019

Reworker71, Jun 27, 2019 :
    So I have now received my replacement unit and this one too exhibits cosmetic defects with the paint. Specifically around the alert slider, power button and volume rocker. These tiny specks show the natural aluminium underneath the paint. It seems that for whatever reason the paint doesn't adhere properly.

Now in contact with OnePlus once again.

Attached Files:

6. AspenSTi Cupcake Jun 27, 2019

AspenSTi, Jun 27, 2019 :
    Wow, that is super frustrating. I reported my issue (haven't heard anything back yet however). I also did change over to the nylon case with the alcantara/fleece lining and all wearing has stopped or not progressed any more. So maybe a combination of certain cases and bad paint on the phones.

7. meatandy Oreo Jun 27, 2019

meatandy, Jun 27, 2019 :
    I believe you're going to have to go through T-Mobile for any claim adjustments .

8. Reworker71 Froyo Jun 27, 2019

Reworker71, Jun 27, 2019 :
    Frustrating indeed. The problem seems to be concentrated on the very top edge of the metal frame of the device, where it meets the screen. I suspect that there are issues with the paint process on certain units.

This unit was manufactured three weeks after my original Oneplus 7 Pro and arguably has more cosmetic damage out of the box than the first unit. Not seen any other posts regarding paint issues so perhaps I was just unlucky? Fingers crossed for being third time lucky:)!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 27, 2019